Solidworks drawings, post here!

joeclark

Banned
Jun 22, 2017
new york
MODERATOR NOTE.. this opening post was from a Spammer..... removed the links and leaving this cause ya'll seemed to show intrest in discussing CAD

Hello Guys, (I am A Spammer

I would like to know how many of you do work in SolidWorks?
I have just started to learn how to use the program and I am curious to see what parts you guys have been making.

So if you have some cool drawings please post a picture of it here, or send me the parts file to and I'll post them here. I would love to play around with some parts, but my skills are not that great yet, and my imagination isn't that good either.

I think this thread will be very interesting if a lot of you post here.

Thanks

(BELOW is the space where I left my SPAM... the damn moderator deleted it)
[SPAM]

Last edited by a moderator:

08quadram

Equipment
bx2350d; Taylor Way 48" tiller; Farm King 50" snow blower
Apr 28, 2014
strawberry point, ia
Not solid works, but i work in Revit. Great modeling tool for buildings.

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
I use and teach INVENTOR by Autodesk - similar but different!

jmf78

Equipment
BX23S W/ Factory Deluxe Cab, 60" MMM, 60" BX-2612 Snow Blade & BX-2816 Blower
Nov 5, 2015
Edinboro, PA, USA
I use Solidworks and PTC Creo (formerly ProEngineer) for work for Mold Design, some product development and modeling for Mold filling simulation. Not much that would be interesting or worth sharing though.

Technical Ted

Equipment
L3560/cab LA805 loader LandPride RCF2060 rotary cutter, HLA hyd angle snow blade
Jul 2, 2016
Dansville NY
I use Fusion 360. Haven't designed anything for my tractor yet... just some simple machine shop projects. I have a hobby shop for both wood and metal.

Ted

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
For better part of 15 years I have been using a free copy of AutoCad Mechanical that I obtained from my employer. It is a perpetual license and I love it but it will only run on XP and its so old it crashes like crazy on new hardware. I have an old Dell that I keep around to run it but it only understands older DWG file formats. I have two sons that are AutoCad pros and use it daily in their jobs.

I tried Fusion360 and Solidworks but overkill and way to expensive for my purposes. All of the open source freebies I found were not very good (an under statement) and I junked them early on. If anyone knows of a decent one I would love to hear from you.

I purchased and use DraftSight Professional for my new projects. I don't need 3D modeling and it is (barely) adequate for 2D drafting but nowhere close to AutoCad's functionality. Of course its also an order of magnitude less expensive :rolleyes: Dessault keeps it functional but they clearly don't want it to compete with Solidworks.

Dan

08quadram

Equipment
bx2350d; Taylor Way 48" tiller; Farm King 50" snow blower
Apr 28, 2014
strawberry point, ia
I'm a Revit user. I quite enjoy 3d modeling of old historic buildings. I've grown to dislike Autocad with a passion after Revit. But there are some very good low cost options to Autocad for occasional use including Intellicad.

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
I'm a Revit user. I quite enjoy 3d modeling of old historic buildings. I've grown to dislike Autocad with a passion after Revit. But there are some very good low cost options to Autocad for occasional use including Intellicad.
I looked at Intellicad and I liked the licensing and price. But it appears it is oriented to architectural not mechanical design. Am I missing something?

Dan

Yooper

Lifetime Member

Equipment
3901 LA525
May 31, 2015
NE Wisconsin
About a year ago I tried some free cad programs just for my own curiosity. If you have any experience with the usual pay for play cad systems, don’t waste your time. Just an exercise in frustration. I still have autocad lt to play with but I miss my spaceclaim for drawing in 3D. Too expensive for a retired guy just goofing around

Rdrcr

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2501 w/ S2T Turbo Kit = 35 PTO HP (Current), B2601 (Sold)
May 7, 2021
WA
I’ve used both AutoCad and Solidworks.

Mike

NHSleddog

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650
Dec 19, 2019
Southern, NH
Hey guys, I'm lazy and have no ambition or creativity.

Could you guys post some of your hard work and creativity so that I might ........ Just go ahead and post the full files.

Reactions: 1 user

leveraddict

Equipment
2017 BX23S 60" LP BoxBlade 54" mower 60" BackBlade EA 12" 1 bottom plow & Forks
Apr 1, 2019
NEPA
I use penanink for my design drawings. Early on when I was just learning and making a lot of mistakes I used pencilaneraser as it was easier to fix my mistakes!

bmblank

Equipment
2020 L3901HST, LA525 Loader, 66" Q/A Bucket, PFL2042 Forks, Meteor SB68PT Blower
Mar 4, 2015
Cadillac, MI
I've used Solidworks for probably 15 years and PTC for a few years, but now I'm forced to use Inventor (about a year in now). For the most part, Inventor is ok. Don't tell Inventor I said that. I can get around and basically do everything I need to do here. I still hate it. Every day I have to figure out a workaround way to do something that I could do in a click or two with Solidworks. At the moment I'm trying to create an exploded drawing, and the way Inventor does the trail lines is ridiculous. SW trail lines work so easily.

PTC is super powerful and you can do a heck of a lot with it. It also sucks major balls if you're just making drawings.

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25TLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
I started out using MicroStation95, a bit of AutoCAD and then finally SolidWorks. I've used SolidWorks for more than 10 years (currently using 2020) working for firearms and ammunition manufacturers. CATIA is popular in the aerospace industry but it has quite the learning curve according to some classmates that went on to work for Northrup, Boeing, Raytheon etc.

I have hundreds of design files, both models and drawings, but I sure as heck won't be posting native files on this forum. I might post a screen shot of a model or two, and maybe a drawing in pdf format but nothing else.

One last comment and it's about Geometric Dimensioning and Tolerancing (GD&T). It's standard these days but I still see a lot of drawings that simply rely on coordinate dimensioning. SolidWorks does GD&T well but I have no idea about the other mainstream design packages.

The OP might want to look at GrabCAD where you can download design files for free.

Last edited:

bmblank

Equipment
2020 L3901HST, LA525 Loader, 66" Q/A Bucket, PFL2042 Forks, Meteor SB68PT Blower
Mar 4, 2015
Cadillac, MI
At my (second to) last job they brought in a guy to teach us GD&T. 4 hour class a day for 1 or 2 weeks. Just to get the basics. Now I realize how essential GD&T is.
At my current job we make hand trucks and other fabrication. We get drawings with GD&T on them and we completely disregard it. I mean, it makes sense to disregard; we don't have the inspection tools necessary. Wouldn't be any point in putting GD&T on our drawings. We've got pin gauges from .100 to .500 or something like that, and we've got some crappy angle gauges that are out of calibration, and we have calipers.. And tape measures.
That being said, hand trucks don't require the same level of tolerance that firearms do. We could do with a tolerance of ±.250 on about 90% of our drawings.

Reactions: 1 user