Snowblower vibration

redleg105

Equipment
B2650 with Snow Blower
Feb 27, 2022
New Hampshire
The shaft between the blower and the drive shaft from the PTO has vibrated forward twice causing the main shaft to drop out. I have loctited the 4 set screws but it happened again. I was thinking of drilling
a 1/4 diameter hole about 1/16 deep to set the screws down in the shaft. Is this a good idea. I would
appreciate any and all advice, Thank you

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Red,

welcome to the forum - can you upload a picture ( you msy need to post a few more times )and show specifically what the problem is,

Has the two shafts come loose?

Orange1forme

Equipment
B2650 HSDC, filled tires, wheel spacers, B2728B , LA534A FEL, 3rd valve kit
Dec 1, 2018
Wa
Photos would help immensely.

Are you referring to the short shaft on the undercarriage?

1646110087480.png

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
could also be a bent blower fin or maybe auger
low speed .wonk,wonk,wonk-----> auger
high speed will be blower

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Look for the easy stuff first, like Jay said check the auger to see if its bent and the fan to see if something is bent or stuck on it, or something stuck in the housing ,then a straight edge along the shafts checking for a bend or twist and then the U joints. It aint hard, just a real PIA. Let us know what you found

redleg105

Equipment
B2650 with Snow Blower
Feb 27, 2022
New Hampshire
Look for the easy stuff first, like Jay said check the auger to see if its bent and the fan to see if something is bent or stuck on it, or something stuck in the housing ,then a straight edge along the shafts checking for a bend or twist and then the U joints. It aint hard, just a real PIA. Let us know what you found
Drive shaft bent. Bought a new one and will install tomorrow. Must happen often as the dealer had two in stock. Will let you know how it turns out. An expensive afternoon.

Reactions: 1 user

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
OK... HOW did the driveshaft get bent ? Sure be nice to KNOW how !
Only way I can think of, since it's a 'solid' mechanical system, is that the auger tried to eat a skid and shearbolt didn't break ??

lynnmor

Equipment
B2601-1
May 3, 2021
Red Lion
If the bearing has a locking collar, use this video for instruction. If it only has a set screw, then your idea of drilling a small indent into the shaft is good.

redleg105

Equipment
B2650 with Snow Blower
Feb 27, 2022
New Hampshire
Outstanding I hope that takes care of it
I have the plow attachment that uses the same frame mount as the snowblower. When I changed from the blower to the plow I did not remove the driveshaft. I must have hit something hard enough to bend the driveshaft. A hard learned lesson. Remove the driveshaft when using the plow.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
That sounds like an expencive lesson,, Im happy you got it cleared up

nbryan

Equipment
B2650 BH77 LA534 54" ssqa Forks B2782B BB1560 Woods M5-4 MaxxHaul 50039
Jan 3, 2019
Hadashville, Manitoba, Canada
I have the plow attachment that uses the same frame mount as the snowblower. When I changed from the blower to the plow I did not remove the driveshaft. I must have hit something hard enough to bend the driveshaft. A hard learned lesson. Remove the driveshaft when using the plow.
Your plow quick-connects the same way as the snow blower, correct? If it's using the same sub-frame as the blower to mount, how do you remove the driveshaft for the plow? That driveshaft that's part of the subframe, with 2 pillow block bearings and the 4 set screws 2 in each. That got bent?
Or is the driveshaft you're referring to the 2 piece PTO shaft that connects that subframe shaft to the snow blower, that has a rear locking u-joint slide-on connector on one half to attach to the subframe shaft, and that shaft's front half is splined and bolted to the snow blower?
Asking because that front 2-piece PTO shaft on my B2650 snowblower (B2782B), same as yours, had the front bolt that pins it onto the blower input shaft disappear along with its 1/4" square spline and come completely loose, only to be held in place by that small chain across its bottom. It would have flown apart quite violently at 2500 rpm without that chain cradle keeping it from falling.
Check your pto shaft u-joint-to-blower connection. There's a set screw for the spline, and a 1/4" bolt through the shaft keeping it there. Make sure it's still firmly attached!
But I can't see how the sub-frame permanent shaft got bent from the plow attached to the frame. There's nothing connecting a plow to it. Hell, I've hit some hidden stumps pretty hard with my blower multiple times bringing me to a jolting stop and never has that shaft or any shaft been affected in any way.
But if that front PTO shaft mount came loose, that could cause some damage!