Snowblower mod

Wilfrid

Equipment
BX1880 with front mounted blower and back blade new
Jan 23, 2022
UP State New York
Has anyone installed a snowblower modification kit for ihe impeller? It is a rubber padle that you bolt on each impeller tip 1/16" from the outer wall that I suppose to throw snow farther and won't plug up in wet snow.

Last edited by a moderator:

ve9aa

Equipment
TG1860, BX2380 -backblade, bx2830 snowblower, fel, weight box,pallet forks,etc
Apr 11, 2021
NB, Canada
Could you please be more vague?

Seriously---what kind of "mod kit" are you talking about?

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
I have seen them in youtube videos, however, since the Kubota fans can cost as much as $400 I wouldn't even think about giving it a try. I believe that if they worked as well as the videos say they work, then the snowblower manufacturers would off kits to install them. Now, If I had a junk Kubota snowblower fan, I might give it a try.

ken erickson

Equipment
B7100 hst, 2650 front mount snowblower, L2501 hst qa loader
Nov 21, 2010
Waupaca Wisconsin
I cut and installed rubber conveyor belt to the tips of the impeller on my Kubota B2650 front mount blower. At the time my driveway had crushed red granite stone. The size was perfect to get wedged between the impeller and the impeller housing. Really tore the housing up. The rubber closed the gap and made a huge improvement as far as stone damage. Made no real difference in distance of snow thrown. It also made no difference in clogging.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca
Those impeller add-ons make it hard for your blower to process newspaper sausages!

These impellers spin pretty fast on tractors and need to be balanced. Bolting things on to your impeller randomly leads to imbalance and excess vibration. Excess vibration can cause gear box issues. Gear boxes are expensive to replace.

My preference would be to line the impeller housing with UHMW instead of modifying the impeller. Then again my 40 year old 3PH snowblower still works fine without these mods.

My experience is walk behind snowblowers tend to shake themselves apart and don't last as long as 3PH blowers.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
The usual 'death bell' for local walkbehinds is when a tire goes flat. Then I'm asked to fix it. After 5-10-20 years there ain't NO way (tried them all..) the tire/rim is going to come off..it's 'rust welded' to the axle. When told they need new tire/rim assy AND an axle ($$$), they just go buy a new one.
I've found snowblowers work best (well, for me ) at high blower speed, slow travel speed and only 2/3 to 3/4 widths of snow.
I also get RID of the road snow 'up plow' of my driveway BEFORE the Cityplow comes by.....

NoJacketRequired

Equipment
B7510 & LA302 FEL & B2782 blower, B7510 & B2781 blower, B2410 & B2550 blower
May 25, 2016
Ottawa, Ontario
All of my Kubota blowers feature fans which run reasonably tight to the fan housing. I don't think there's a lot of extra performance to be had by adding a rubber seal to the fan blades on these blowers.

I can't say the same for some of the older 3pth blowers I've owned in the past - many of them could have done with some heavy rubber to put the tips of the fan blades closer to the fan housing.

Reactions: 1 user