Snow Removal

HuntIL2

Mar 31, 2022
Illinois
OK so I recently bought a MX5400 and I'm debating whether to try and use it to plow/remove snow from my gravel driveway at my farm. I don't need it to be perfect, I just want access to the building and property. I would say it's around 300-400 feet long. Is this even a good idea?? If so what snow implement should I look for?

Thanks

jimh406

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501 with R4 tires
Jan 29, 2021
Western MT
My driveway is about twice as long. I use a rear blade on my tractor. It's the most cost effective solution.

You want to angle it, so you need at least a 7 ft one that's what I use. 8 ft would probably be better depending on where you park your tractor. You need to make sure it will go through the door.

Also, I do reverse mine for snow and angle the top to the front. That minimizes the digging effect.

I leave my bucket on to move piles as needed. Also, you will probably also want to get chains for at least the rear.

Reactions: 1 users

mcfarmall

Equipment
Kubota M5660SUHD, Farmall C
Sep 11, 2013
Kalamazoo, MI
Same as Jim. Hydraulic angle rear blade...7 footer, the lightest I could find, tilted front down. Almost never use my FEL bucket.

Roadworthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2501 HST
Aug 17, 2019
Benton City, WA
I've got about as much driveway as you do but only have an L2501. I did spring for blacktop over the old gravel bed. I bought a couple Edge Tamers to prevent damage to the surface. That will leave about a half inch of snow but also protect the driveway and my front loader. which I'm using to remove the snow.

woodsy

Equipment
95 Kubota L3300DT W/FEL, 60" AgroTrend 3pt snow blower89 Arctic Cat 440 Panther
Apr 20, 2021
Maine
I would think it depends on how much snow falls in your area on a typical winter.
A few feet of snow over the winter a blade or just the bucket would work good enough probably.
8-15 feet of snow like we sometimes see a snowblower works well in that
you only have to move it once, no pushing it back every 3rd storm like I did when i used a front blade on a green colored machine.
I use to spend as much time pushing it back as i did plowing it on bad winters.

Reactions: 1 users

Vlach7

Equipment
L47 305DT JD500C
Dec 16, 2021
Frazier Park Ca
Same as the other guys with a 7' rear scraper blade, very versatile accessory, got the heaviest one I could find, more metal, so I don't bend it like my neighbors, need to straighten and weld reenforcing metal on theirs. Great for recrowning the dirt/gravel driveway after winter.

Dennis.D

Equipment
L6060, Erskine hydraulic snow blower, back hoe
Feb 16, 2018
Central, ME,USA
If you don't access the building very mush a snow blower might work for you. I have a few buildings that are off the beaten path. Sometimes I need to get into them in the winter and sometimes I don't. I have a snow blower that will blow a path to the buildings any time during the winter. As long as it's not all ice. A rear mount snow blower is reasonably cheep and your tractor has enough power to blow very deep snow. The down side would be if you use it a lot you will have the dreaded tractor back from looking backwards for long periods of time.

Reactions: 1 user

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25TLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
OK so I recently bought a MX5400 and I'm debating whether to try and use it to plow/remove snow from my gravel driveway at my farm. I don't need it to be perfect, I just want access to the building and property. I would say it's around 300-400 feet long. Is this even a good idea?? If so what snow implement should I look for?

Thanks
I have an MX6000 with a Land Pride STB1596 hydraulic angle snow blade up front and it's the bees knees on gravel and asphalt for that matter. Depending on how much snow you have and where you're able to push it a blower might be better though. I use a Land Pride SB1574 blower out back that is also very good.
A rear blade isn't ideal for me based on the one I used on a BX25 and the one I used just a few days ago behind a NH tractor. Affordable for sure, but there are better options if you're willing to pay for the benefits.

You can see the before and after when using the front snow blade on the gravel driveway.

mx6000_hstc_15.jpg

mx6000_snow_3.jpg

mx6000_snow_4.jpg

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
A friend recently bought a W.R. Long FBH 96 with hydraulic angle from Everything Attachments because he couldn't find a Land Pride locally. I think he paid more than I paid for mine and it's not as good as the Land Pride. It's underbuilt in comparison whether it's the steel used, the hoses the fittings, the height etc. Also, it doesn't look like the blade is able to adjust to the terrain i.e. rotate about the center line (front to rear) of the tractor. The Land Pride has +/- 5 degrees of cant which really helps when the bottom of the blade doesn't want to be parallel to the contact patches of the front tires.

hwkmn05

Equipment
2021 Kubota L3301 HST
Feb 4, 2022
Vt

Thanks
7 ft rear blade on a 65 in wheel base. Not interested in a plow because I love moving banks with the loader and Im not interested in blowing backwards down a 1200 ft driveway with a slight grade, for those 1 or 2 storms of the decade.

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
A good quality Rear Blade, it can do snow and also road grading on the gravel section of your driveway.
I've owned two rear blades, one I used with the BX25 and a bigger one I used with the MX6000 open station. In retrospect I should have kept the Land Pride RB3796 (corrected) rather than sell it for what I had into it. It's hard to argue against them as an affordable multipurpose implement.

Even though I didn't use the rear blade much, it was still good to have for certain tasks. I have a box blade and a land leveler/land plane which are both way better at moving dirt or maintaining a gravel driveway than a rear blade. I'm just about as pleased as I could be with my current set up for snow removal, but if I had a much longer asphalt driveway I'd buy a rear pull snow blower.

I hope that I'm still around to move snow for many years to come, so investing in good equipment is not a difficult decision for me.

Last edited:

top gnome

Equipment
b2301 w bh fel grapple back blade snow plow forks
Dec 12, 2021
Fundy shore nova scotia
I used a backblade quite a bit. This year I bought a front blade for the ssqa hookup so I could leave the back hoe on. Dont know how well it will work but will find out this year.

hwkmn05

Equipment
2021 Kubota L3301 HST
Feb 4, 2022
Vt
I've owned two rear blades, one I used with the BX25 and a bigger one I used with the MX6000 open station. In retrospect I should have kept the Land Pride RB1584 rather than sell it for what I had into it. It's hard to argue against them as an affordable multipurpose implement.

Even though I didn't use the rear blade much, it was still good to have for certain tasks. I have a box blade and a land leveler/land plane which are both way better at moving dirt or maintaining a gravel driveway than a rear blade. I'm just about as pleased as I could be with my current set up for snow removal, but if I had a much longer asphalt driveway I'd buy a rear pull snow blower.

I hope that I'm still around to move snow for many years to come, so investing in good equipment is not a difficult decision for me.
Rear pull forward blower would be the best Im sure.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
rear blades and rear blowers are for physically fit young guys...
I gave up a decade ago and went with a front mounted blower....go get RID of the snow
best thing I did and have never looked back since.

Reactions: 2 users

jimh406

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501 with R4 tires
Jan 29, 2021
Western MT
rear blades and rear blowers are for physically fit young guys...
I don't understand your reasoning at all.

It's harder to put a front blower on than a rear blade and harder to adjust as well. The front blower has a subframe and midpto to hookup. the rear is a basic three point. With a hydraulic rear blade it's just as easy to adjust direction.

Fwiw, I have minimal angles to change to do driveways and around my buildings. I do all with the right then all with the left then all with the straight. You do have to think about it. I don't have a hydraulic adjustment, and most people wouldn't think an over 60 is a young guy although I wish I was fit. :D

hwkmn05

Equipment
2021 Kubota L3301 HST
Feb 4, 2022
Vt
I don't understand your reasoning at all.

It's harder to put a front blower on than a rear blade and harder to adjust as well. The front blower has a subframe and midpto to hookup. the rear is a basic three point. With a hydraulic rear blade it's just as easy to adjust direction.

Fwiw, I have minimal angles to change to do driveways and around my buildings. I do all with the right then all with the left then all with the straight. You do have to think about it. I don't have a hydraulic adjustment, and most people wouldn't think an over 60 is a young guy although I wish I was fit. :D
Im going to give this one with wings a try this winter. Last user swore by it. Angled or not, works as a front pusher. For the amount of snow we get, a front blower is stupid $$ and not worth it to me.

Attachments

woodman55

Equipment
L6060HSTC, RTV 1100
May 15, 2022
canada
If you have a front loader with the skid steer quick attach, a snow pusher is another option.

Tarmy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2800, BH76A, FEL,box scraper
Nov 17, 2009
Lake Almanor, Ca
I have about the same deal as you OP…

I do not live at my place full time in winter…so when I get there there can be a couple feet of heavy snow. My rig can move around ok…not great…and I use the front loader to push and move snow and the berm at the main road. Takes me from 1.5 to 3 hours to get enough out of the way to move my 4x4 in and out. It certainly isn’t pretty!

the other issue with doing it this way…with gravel/rock drive…is you inevitably get rock all over the place on either side of the drive and you have ruts to clean up in spring.

i7win7

Equipment
BX2370, B2650 grapple, tree puller, trailer mover, 3 point hoist, mower, tiller
Feb 21, 2020
Central, IL
My rear blade has to be manually angled. It has a hydraulic swing. 7 foot blade fits in garage door, swing pushes snow past tire tracks into ditch.
20160101_210425.jpg

20150302_130653.jpg