Snow Blower vs Snow Blade with a gravel driveway

wmitch1000

Equipment
B2650 Cab, FEL, MMM, Front Hyd Snow Blade, EA Grapple, York Rake
Mar 7, 2010
Northern Virginia
Folks, I'm getting ready to trade in my 2920 for a 2650 cab. Since I'm going to roll a new implement into the package I'm looking for advice. I have a gravel driveway that is over 1300 feet. I have been using a rear blade to plow the snow, and it's been digging up the driveway like crazy.

So, with my new 2650 I was thinking about getting a quick attach hydraulic front snow blade, so I could plow and switch over to my FEL to move any snow banks. Well, now I'm wondering about the benefits of a front mount snow blower.

Looking for advice on using a snow blower on a gravel drive good or bad? Also not sure if I have a front mount snow blower, how much efforts is it to swap it out to use the FEL.

Any advice and tips would be greatly appreciated since I want to do it right this time around.

Thanks all.

lamanated

Equipment
BX
May 2, 2013
Zephyrhills Fl
I adapted a blade to go on my quick hitch on my BX's loader. and put a 1/2" thick piece of conveyor belt on the edge,, works great,, very little rock disturbed

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
I don't have a blower but I have heard guys say that you set your shoes up so the blade is about an inch or so above the gravel and that shouldn't pick up any stones

Grouse Feathers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2370, FEL, Snowblower-BX5455, Homebuilt Forks, LP RB1560, LP GS1548
Feb 16, 2015
Lovells, Mi
I have a blower on my BX and for the few areas with loose gravel I use the rear blade to drag the snow to where I can blow it without picking up the gravel. I have a friend who split a pipe open and drove it on the cutting edge of his snow blower. I have read of putting pipe on the cutting edge of rear blades, but never a blower. He says it really works good.

Larry

bearskinner

Equipment
BX25D, snowblower, PHD, Grapple, Snow blade, land Plane
Sep 1, 2014
N. Idaho
Once you attach the front blade on the quick connect, it can be removed in a couple minutes, and it's easy to do. I do not have a blower, just an adjustable front blade system. So far, haven't even used my stand alone 8 speed blower since I got the blade

pauly

Equipment
2014 B2650, LA534A FEL,B2781B Snow Blower, Land Pride RCR 1260 Land Pride RB157
Sep 23, 2014
East Troy Wisconsin USA
I have a B2650 with the 51" front blower and a 72" rear blade. I use the blower for the big snow and the rear blade to do the finish work. Works real nice for me. I have the shoes on the blower set at 1". I plan on making some wider shoes for the blower. Until the ground freezes the narrow shoes will sink into the gravel if it's wet. I also plan on trying the PVC tube on the rear blade. Once you clean up with the blade the snow will have gravel in it.
My drive is 1,200 feet of gravel with a fairly steep hill.

PHPaul

Equipment
B2650, Pronovost snow blower, Landpride rotary mower, Howard tiller, box blade
Apr 2, 2015
Downeast Maine
www.eastovershoe.com
I use a 64" Pronovost rear mount on my gravel drive.

The only problem is an early (or late) storm over mud. When the drive is soft like that, it's best to just leave it if possible.

I do a driveway for another house that is crushed stone. That crap NEVER freezes. Best I can do is run the blower a bit high with the 3 point (2-4 inches) and wait for a packed base to develop. Once there's a base I can set the blower down on the skids and go for it.

As to plowing vs. blowing, that's a no-brainer for me. I plowed with my own truck for years and sooner or later you WILL run out of places to push snow. Never had that problem with the blower, plus it does a much cleaner job. Only drawback is that a 5 foot blower is obviously slower than an 8 foot plow.

bmblank

Equipment
2020 L3901HST, LA525 Loader, 66" Q/A Bucket, PFL2042 Forks, Meteor SB68PT Blower
Mar 4, 2015
Cadillac, MI
Only drawback is that a 5 foot blower is obviously slower than an 8 foot plow.
On the other hand, you're spending alot less time going backwards and going back over the same areas with the blower. With the blower, once you go over it, that's prettymuch it. With the plow it seems like there's alot of back and forth over the same areas. I'm anticipating I can blow in, at the very worst, the same amount of time it takes me to plow. And also with the snowblower, I'm expecting if we get dumped on overnight, I can wake up in the morning and run the blower down and back just to clear enough of a path to get the cars out. With the plow, doing that would take quite a while still.

bearbait

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, 64" snowblower, 72" back blade
Dec 9, 2011
New Glasgow Canada

Camp

Equipment
L48 Tractor
Apr 9, 2015
Bowdoin, Maine, USA
Front mount either one is the way to go. I have an L48 with a front mount plow with a 7.5 foot Fisher blade mounted on a skid steer plate; very easy to put on/off. I have front hydraulics so I can angle the blade. I can push the banks into huge piles. With all the snow this year I had no problem keeping a very wide driveway; much wider than my neighbors with truck plows. My driveway is 1,000 feet long. If you are careful and shoes set right you can avoid most gravel on your lawn. My first choice would have been a front blower but I do not have the mid pto. Good lunch with your decision.

wmitch1000

Equipment
B2650 Cab, FEL, MMM, Front Hyd Snow Blade, EA Grapple, York Rake
Mar 7, 2010
Northern Virginia
Folks, Thanks for all info, a lot to think about. Right now the blade and front loader valve will cost me around $2800. I currently have a rear blade, and need to get a price on a front blower. Lot's to think about as I get ready to upgrade. I like the idea of the conveyor belt on the blade as I'm tired of fixing my drive when using the read blade.