Snow blower input!!

Cell Block 726

Equipment
L185DT, yanmar 60 in snow blower, PTO wood chipper
Nov 20, 2018
Yaak, MT
Looking for some insight, finally had a good system drop some snow here NW Montana and hooked up my snow blower which I have never used before! It's a 60 in yanmar front mount off rear PTO on my l185dt. My question is what PTO gear is best and or fwd gear... where should my rpms be??

Cheers

Attachments

KeithG

Equipment
2000 Kubota B2710, Woods BH75 backhoe, LandPride York Rake, B2783 Snow Blower
Jan 1, 2016
Rindge, NH
The advise I got from this forum was to have the RPM's up high enough to enable to snowblower to throw the snow as far as possible. The reason for this being two fold; 1) it ensures that the snow is thrown from the blower so it does not build up, 2) it puts the snow far enough away from the area being cleared so you do not have to deal with it again (i.e. try to blow snow that landed in a path you have to clear).

So on my B2710 I run the RPM's around 2300, but if I had a rear snow blower I think I would set the RPM's for the maximum rear PTO which would be 540 I think (i.e. the engine RPM's are about 2500 for the rear PTO to be at 540).

Good Luck,
-Keith

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
Looking for some insight, finally had a good system drop some snow here NW Montana and hooked up my snow blower which I have never used before! It's a 60 in yanmar front mount off rear PTO on my l185dt. My question is what PTO gear is best and or fwd gear... where should my rpms be??

Cheers
Cannot advise regarding your tractor/implement combination and conditions, but snow blowers suck HP like a Hoover sucks dirt.

To blow significant snow, you will likely need WOT and low gears.

SDT

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
With a gear drive tractor it's hard to hit the sweet spot, and any clutch riding will stop the PTO.

The tractor gear should be whatever gear you can maintain without clogging the blower.

Design wise PTO speed 540 is at 2430 engine RPM

The PTO speed is a fine line between speed and power.
You can go a higher range on the PTO and slow the engine down, but in thick snow that will quickly overrun the available HP so you will need to drop to a lower PTO speed and raise the engine RPM.

I run mine in 1000 RPM PTO speed and run the tractor halfway down in engine rpm in light to medium snow, but in heavy snow 540 is required.

Cell Block 726

Equipment
L185DT, yanmar 60 in snow blower, PTO wood chipper
Nov 20, 2018
Yaak, MT
Thanks for input, it does seem to feel like it bogs engine, but snow start to get heavy due to warm up. I'll try slow/low fwd gear high rpm for pto. Guess I'll just have to play with it, it definitely works faster then the bucket I've been using thus far.. still very happy with the purchase of tractor and implements!!

Mister

Jul 13, 2018
Northwest
With a gear drive tractor it's hard to hit the sweet spot, and any clutch riding will stop the PTO.

The tractor gear should be whatever gear you can maintain without clogging the blower.

Design wise PTO speed 540 is at 2430 engine RPM

The PTO speed is a fine line between speed and power.

You can go a higher range on the PTO and slow the engine down, but in thick snow that will quickly overrun the available HP so you will need to drop to a lower PTO speed and raise the engine RPM.

I run mine in 1000 RPM PTO speed and run the tractor halfway down in engine rpm in light to medium snow, but in heavy snow 540 is required.
I have to say... You are one of the most knowledgeable and straightforward individuals I have encountered on a forum. Appreciate your input here

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

keithcoady

Equipment
Kubota B7800 60 inch mmm, 60 inch normand blower, and 60 inch blade
Dec 11, 2016
Nova Scotia Canada
I have to say... You are one of the most knowledgeable and straightforward individuals I have encountered on a forum. Appreciate your input here

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
The Simon Cowell of Orange Tractor Talks :)

blperk

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B3200, FEL, Betstco 63" flail mower, B2782b front snowblower
Dec 25, 2018
Canandaigua, NY
I've got a B3200 with a 63" front blower, so I've got a few more horses than you. I run engine RPM's at about 2500, and my machine doesn't have a choice for PTO gear. Forward speed is dictated by snow depth and consistency.