Snow Blower Hydraulics

dbertheau

Equipment
LX3310HSDC, FEL w/CB1060, PFL1242, LX2963, WM-8M Chipper
Mar 5, 2023
Nevada City, CA
LX3310HSDC with LX2963 snow blower with hydraulic deflector...3 functions: snow blower up/down, rotate snow discharge shoot and hydraulic deflector for distance of snow throw...

Last week I removed the FEL and installed the snow blower on our new tractor...to test and see how it all works.

When I picked up the tractor a few weeks ago I expected that the hydraulic activated deflector ran off the 3rd function that they installed for a grapple. The tech said nope, the hydraulic deflector kit that they installed ran off a diverter valve. I didn't think much of it at that time. But now that I see how it's setup I'm not impressed.

The up/down function of the snow blower plugs into the yellow/white connections of the FEL. And then there is a diverter valve that's attached to the snow blower which will activate either the rotation of the snow discharge shoot or the snow deflector control. This diverter valve is connected to the blue/red connectors of the FEL. There is a toggle switch that's connected to the yoke and you select either shoot rotate or snow deflector.

Seems they spent more time and money installing this diverter valve rather than simply attaching the shoot rotation alone to the blue/red connectors and then the deflector to the 3rd function connectors.

I'm planning to have a couple of hoses made to run from the deflector cylinder and will run to the 3rd function connectors. And I'll remove the shoot rotation hoses from the diverter valve and connect to the shoot rotation ports.

By the way, if the deflector is setup as manual (not hydraulic) then the install calls for the shoot rotation to be connected to the blue/red FEL connectors. So the only change that I'm really making is activation of the deflector cylinder via the 3rd function.

Does anyone see an issue with this? New to hydraulics of tractors, so this may be an elementary question as I'm learning...

Thanks...

Last edited:

nbryan

Equipment
B2650 BH77 LA534 54" ssqa Forks B2782B BB1560 Woods M5-4 MaxxHaul 50039
Jan 3, 2019
Hadashville, Manitoba, Canada
How then do you control the deflector? Are you adding another control valve for the deflector circuit from the 3rd function connection?

dbertheau

Equipment
Mar 5, 2023
Nevada City, CA
How then do you control the deflector? Are you adding another control valve for the deflector circuit from the 3rd function connection?
On the yoke there are two red buttons that control the 3rd function. When the FEL is installed and the grapple is hooked up to the 3rd function I use these buttons to open/close the grapple. I was thinking that these red buttons would be used to lower/raise the deflector cylinder once I connect the hoses from the deflector cylinder to the 3rd function connectors.

The FEL is removed when the snow blower is attached.

Reactions: 1 user

PoTreeBoy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L35 Ford 3930
Mar 24, 2020
WestTn/NoMs
On the yoke there are two red buttons that control the 3rd function. When the FEL is installed and the grapple is hooked up to the 3rd function I use these buttons to open/close the grapple. I was thinking that these red buttons would be used to lower/raise the deflector cylinder once I connect the hoses from the deflector cylinder to the 3rd function connectors.

You should be good. The third function is an option, so the factory probably uses the diverter so the blower will work with factory stock tractors.

nbryan

Equipment
Jan 3, 2019

Can you contact the Kubota dealer or tech and ask if they think there could be any issues doing this your way? I understand why you'd want to simplify your system, and can understand your logic, but the dealer's techs do have a fair bit of training and experience with this stuff, and may have seen your prospective setup cause problems in the past.

nbryan

Equipment
Jan 3, 2019
So the grapple control is simply ON/OFF? There's no way to feather or slow the grapple's action? If so, then having a FULL ON/FULL OFF control trying to set the chute at a particular angle may be next to impossible. I see the deflector slamming up and down so fast your button fingers will get tired tapping the controls.
Where with the loader controls lever bucket circuit the deflector or chute rotation as it is now can be slowed with the control lever feathering action. At least in the "curl up" direction to the left, as moving lever to the right you have to pop past the indent to power the line and controlling that is difficult.

ve9aa

Equipment
TG1860, BX2380 -backblade, bx2830 snowblower, fel, weight box,pallet forks,etc
Apr 11, 2021
NB, Canada
My chute rotation is hydraulic (very fast--almost too fast!)
Of course the snowblower unit itself is up/down is hydraulic and perfect.

Deflector is electric and slower than hydraulic but IMO is nearly perfect. I can stop it where I like.

I didn't want hydraulic deflection because I didn't want to toggle to two different modes (which is basically what I *think* you're b!tchin' about) and it was more $$ for something I didn't need. The (small) bonus was.....if something electromechnical pooped out on the deflector I could likely fix/replace whereas I am
a slave to the man when it comes to hydraulics.(ie: I know almost nothing about them)

I am not saying this to be mean or hateful, but maybe you should've asked more questions or had the salesman explain it better now that it's an issue. I agree--I would not want it the way you have it.

A PITA I imagine.

Different strokes for different folks. The good thing is, deflection (I find) is the least used of all 3 functions.,

dbertheau

Equipment
Mar 5, 2023
Nevada City, CA
Can you contact the Kubota dealer or tech and ask if they think there could be any issues doing this your way? I understand why you'd want to simplify your system, and can understand your logic, but the dealer's techs do have a fair bit of training and experience with this stuff, and may have seen your prospective setup cause problems in the past.
Unfortunately, this is only the second snow blower that this dealer has installed. This dealer is in the San Juaquin Valley and they don't get snow! The tech installed the kit that the sales person ordered...neither are experts in this area and I was no expert either. Learning and no big deal...I am going to change and hopefully will work as I think it should.

dbertheau

Equipment
Mar 5, 2023
Nevada City, CA
My chute rotation is hydraulic (very fast--almost too fast!)
Of course the snowblower unit itself is up/down is hydraulic and perfect.

Deflector is electric and slower than hydraulic but IMO is nearly perfect. I can stop it where I like.

I didn't want hydraulic deflection because I didn't want to toggle to two different modes (which is basically what I *think* you're b!tchin' about) and it was more $$ for something I didn't need. The (small) bonus was.....if something electromechnical pooped out on the deflector I could likely fix/replace whereas I am
a slave to the man when it comes to hydraulics.(ie: I know almost nothing about them)

I am not saying this to be mean or hateful, but maybe you should've asked more questions or had the salesman explain it better now that it's an issue. I agree--I would not want it the way you have it.

A PITA I imagine.

Different strokes for different folks. The good thing is, deflection (I find) is the least used of all 3 functions.,

I agree, deflection is the least used. However, there are spots on my property where rotating the shoot and changing the deflection at the same time would be great.

Being new to this I'm learning and don't always know what questions to ask. Assumptions sometimes get us in trouble, and I assumed that how I've seen installations on youtube is the way that all are installed...assuming isn't always a good approach and I'm learning.

nbryan

Equipment
Jan 3, 2019
BTW I love the fast acting chute rotation! Many places on my clearing route at home I need to rotate the chute past an area already cleared and instead of stopping collecting snow and waiting for the stream to stop I hit the lever hard and whip the chute direction fast past the cleared area leaving next few traces on the already cleared spot.

RMS

Equipment
LX2610HSDC, RCR1260, PFL1242, LX2963, RB1684, WC-68 Chipper,Flail Mower
Sep 26, 2021
Buckfield Maine
I have that same blower with the hydraulic shute controls like you have installed. The diverter valve works great for me , but I don't have a 3rd function. One thing to consider by going the way you are talking is that you will have another set of hoses to run all the way back to your 3rd function connections and will have to make sure that they won't get caught on anything.
I see what you want to do but I'm not sure if the added expense for new hoses is going to get you anything better than what you have already paid for with the diverter valve setup.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Swap it over to the third function and put a bi directional adjust able pressure reducer, that will slow down operation to what ever speed you want it, easy pezzy done.

dbertheau

Equipment
Mar 5, 2023
Nevada City, CA
Swap it over to the third function and put a bi directional adjust able pressure reducer, that will slow down operation to what ever speed you want it, easy pezzy done.
Thanks. Seems like a good idea. I may swap over and see how it goes. If needed I'll add a pressure reducer. Being bidirectional, I suspect that only one is needed, and probably does not matter which of the two hoses it goes on.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Thanks. Seems like a good idea. I may swap over and see how it goes. If needed I'll add a pressure reducer. Being bidirectional, I suspect that only one is needed, and probably does not matter which of the two hoses it goes on.
Bingo!

cthomas

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX2610 HSDC
Jan 1, 2017
La Farge Wi
I have the same and the dealer in WI(we get snow) wanted to do the same. I had to argue with them to just order the cylinder from the kit and get some hose with couplings(I think it was 96" hoses). I did not need the reducers, I have the factory third function and able to just tap the buttons and just zip tie the hoses to the grill guard.

dbertheau

Equipment
Mar 5, 2023
Nevada City, CA
I have the same and the dealer in WI(we get snow) wanted to do the same. I had to argue with them to just order the cylinder from the kit and get some hose with couplings(I think it was 96" hoses). I did not need the reducers, I have the factory third function and able to just tap the buttons and just zip tie the hoses to the grill guard.

Excellent. Thanks for your reply.

dbertheau

Equipment
Mar 5, 2023
Nevada City, CA
I received hydraulic hoses. Removed the diverter valve and installed new hoses from the 3rd function valve to the snow deflector cylinder.

All works great...