Smell Mystery

xrocketengineer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX1880, FEL, Grapple, 36 in. Forks, 48in. MMM, Quick Spade, Ripper
Nov 14, 2020
Merritt Island, Florida
Maybe you guys can shed some light on this. We are having a pretty warm December with mornings in the 60's if we are lucky. In addition we have been getting several, not very dense, foggy mornings. On some of those early foggy mornings and before the Sun comes up, there is a faint smell like propane in my screened in pool /porch area enclosed on two sides. I have a grill there with two 20 pound propane tanks with a cover and there is absolutely no smell inside the cover. I have no gas service in the house. As soon as there is some Sun light or breeze the smell goes away. This is the first time I have noticed this smell in more than 30 years.
I called the local Fire Station to see if they had a "gas sniffer" but they did not and did not provide any other ideas or solutions.
This morning the smell was even inside my enclosed garage. And again as soon as the Sun came up, the smell dissipated everywhere.
My next move is to check with my next door neighbor since he has a large underground propane tank for his emergency generator.
Any ideas of what fog is supposed to smell like?

Last edited:

L35

Equipment
L35/TL720/BT900/York rake/Valby chipper
Jun 13, 2010
CT
Fog has no smell, but it will hold down vapors like propane for example. I’d check with your neighbor as you mentioned before pulling your hair out any further.

Reactions: 1 user

OntheRidge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L47 TLB, Homestead 55" grapple, LP 1684 rear blade, WR Long 84" snowplow
Nov 1, 2020
You can get a sniffer pretty cheap on Amazon, also.

Roadworthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2501 HST
Aug 17, 2019
Benton City, WA
You can smell the propane at levels far lower than the point at which a danger exists. Propane itself has no smell. They add ethyl mercaptan so you're aware of its presence. You can get a sniffer from Amazon or possibly even Harbor Freight but I have no idea at what levels they detect. If the smell goes away when the fog lifts there's probably not enough around to worry about.

SRRGC1

Equipment
BX1870-1, BX23S TLB, RTV XG850, MX5100DT
Jan 6, 2021
Bloomsburg
LP (liquid propane) is heavier than air meaning it was stay close to the bottom of any space. Can use a spray soap to detect any leak at your cylinders. Presume your cylinders are turned off? Propane will move with any air currents in the area and is likely what occurs when temp rise. If your cylinders show no leaks, your neighbors would be suspect. I believe The Home Depot sells gas detectors. Unsure if LP pr nat. gas. LP is odorless and a little propane can smell alot. The manufacture adds an odorant for this purpose. Next time you smell LP use a light powder and see which way the breeze is moving. This might help in narrowing the source down some.

PaulR

Equipment
BX 23S -- 100 hours seat time so far
Aug 3, 2020
Hadley, MA
I've got a similar sniffer. Bought it when we tried to nail down a gas leak here in the building.
It's really weird, it can "coagulate" and you can smell it in a room far far away from where its leaking if that room is closed off pretty well.

hagrid

Lifetime Member

Equipment
K1600GTL, ZX-14R
Jun 11, 2018
Pittsburgh
Too many people farting under an inversion layer in the atmosphere.

Reactions: 2 users

Tughill Tom

Equipment
B3200
Dec 23, 2013
Turin, NY
Maybe you guys can shed some light on this. We are having a pretty warm December with mornings in the 60's if we are lucky. In addition we have been getting several, not very dense, foggy mornings. On some of those early foggy mornings and before the Sun comes up, there is a faint smell like propane in my screened in pool /porch area enclosed on two sides. I have a grill there with two 20 pound propane tanks with a cover and there is absolutely no smell inside the cover. I have no gas service in the house. As soon as there is some Sun light or breeze the smell goes away. This is the first time I have noticed this smell in more than 30 years.
I called the local Fire Station to see if they had a "gas sniffer" but they did not and did not provide any other ideas or solutions.
This morning the smell was even inside my enclosed garage. And again as soon as the Sun came up, the smell dissipated everywhere.
My next move is to check with my next door neighbor since he has a large underground propane tank for his emergency generator.
Any ideas of what fog is supposed to smell like?
Remove the 2 tanks from your house, if you can still smell it call the Fire Dept. Your neighbor has a leak! It's on them .

Bmyers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Grand L3560 with LA805 loader, EA 55" Wicked Grapple, SBX72 BB, LP 1272 mower
May 27, 2019
Southern Illinois
I can't believe your fire department doesn't have a gas sniffer. I thought all of them did. We had them 20+ years ago when they were expensive. Last I checked, all our pumpers have them on them.

That surprise me.

JimmyJazz

Equipment
B2601
Aug 8, 2020
Pittsburgh, Pa
Get the name of your neighbors fuel supplier and call them ASAP. I would not be waiting around or attempting to diagnose the issue with no experience. This kind of thing can kill you. Better safe than sorry. Here in Pennsylvania I heat with natural gas. There have been two or three occasions where I called the gas company after detecting a smell. In each instance they arrived within 40 minutes. They have rigorous protocols to follow. All business. Kind of scary. No charge for either the visit or the stories afterward involving death and despair. Not kidding. Lots of risk and liability with this kind of thing. Treat it with the respect it deserves.

xrocketengineer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX1880, FEL, Grapple, 36 in. Forks, 48in. MMM, Quick Spade, Ripper
Nov 14, 2020
Merritt Island, Florida
I can't believe your fire department doesn't have a gas sniffer. I thought all of them did. We had them 20+ years ago when they were expensive. Last I checked, all our pumpers have them on them.

That surprise me.
It surprised me too. They insisted to check with the gas company for them to sniff. There is no gas company since I have no gas service.
I talked to the neighbor and he will pay attention to the smell and when the sniffer arrives in about three days we will check my tanks and his.

Reactions: 1 user

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
As mentioned previously and by others, your neighbor's propane supplier will have to proper equipment to find the leak. They have to pressure test and document readings for their liability protection. He could have a pressure relief valve or fill valve malfunctioning or a tank beginning to rust through.