smallholding tractor

dgd17

Sep 5, 2013
uk
Hello - I am looking for a little advice with choosing a suitable kubota tractor for our smallholding.

We have just 5 and half acres and our requirement are relatively simple. I would like a simple cheap secondhand tracto that will cope with a topper and or a flail mower and a chain harrow.

The land is moderately uneven. Certainly not entirely flat, but not crazy hilly either. We have a small husqvarna ride on mower which copes with terrain just about ok but is a little undersized and takes just far too long to cut a field!

I've considered getting an old vintage tractor like a fordson or ferguson, but I think I have settled on a kubota as the best option - but I'm not sure which model would meet the requirements. Budget is tight and I don't want to pay for more machine than I need.

Any advice very much appreciate. thank you :)

cerlawson

Equipment
rotiller, box scraper,etc.
Feb 24, 2011
PORTAGE, WI
Read the discussion under "Operating" dealing with sticky three point problem. You will see that the smaller, cheaper Kubota tractors have a lousy three point operation. In buying any such tractor check the operations of the three point part. I made the mistake of getting a BX model without truying all systems, thinking any tractor manufacturer would make them the same. For any jobs where good control if the three point is needed, the BX models are no good in my opinion.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
cerlawson, I would beg to differ with you on the BX being no good, I have 5 1/2 acres, wood lot, long drive way and lots of snow in the winter, and HILLS, and the BX 2360 I have will do anything I ask it to do, in fact I have used it for things I most likely should have never asked it to do.
And never a whimper out of the old girl. One thing to remember is you are looking at a small tractor and while they will work harder than you would ever think they might the word is SMALL,,

A 60 inch deck will make the mowing quick and easy, and it will pull a chain harrow around no problem, fill the tires for a bit better traction because it is again, a SMALL tractor,, and its been said before many times you will run out of traction long before you run out of power on these little beasts. I have never heard or talked to anyone that has problems with the 3pt on a BX when it has been used in the weight range it was designed for and no one talks about jerky 3pts like on the L.
Sorry to get off track here but a BX or a B series will serve you well as long as you use it like it was intended to be used

Bluegill

Equipment
L3750DT Shuttle, L3800DT FEL both
Jan 11, 2012
Success Missouri
There is nothing wrong with the smaller Kubotas!

Kubota started the small 4wd tractor market and continue to lead it.

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
Something in the L175, L185 and up series would work for you. These are pretty old tractors so there is some parts obsolete which can turn your tractor into parts...

I would start out searching through the model numbers and identify the oldest year model you feel comfortable owning. Go from there and see what your dollar (Pound?) will get you.

I personally have a L185 2 wheel drive (Ag tires) and own 5 acres (maintain about 3.5 to 4 of it). It has done everything that you list - Brush hog = topper?, pull, and carry more than needed.

One thing to worry about is traction. It is dry here most of the time so the ag tires don't tear up the ground much. If it is really muddy most of the time where you are it may be better to get a 4WD with less aggressive tires so less damage. Think about what type of tire and 2WD vs 4WD before you get too serious.

Last edited:

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
Read the discussion under "Operating" dealing with sticky three point problem. You will see that the smaller, cheaper Kubota tractors have a lousy three point operation. In buying any such tractor check the operations of the three point part. I made the mistake of getting a BX model without truying all systems, thinking any tractor manufacturer would make them the same. For any jobs where good control if the three point is needed, the BX models are no good in my opinion.
This is a valid point, without saying that the rest of the tractor is bad. On some tractors, you have position control for the 3 point- the lift arms will rise or lower in accordance of where you set the lever, giving the operator fine control over the heighth of the 3 point. What cerlawson is refering to is the simple on or off valve that raises or lowers the 3 point on the smaller Kubota's. It works, but it isn't as nice or easy to use, and it is a detraction. Other tractors have position control, so it is something the OP should know about, so he isn't blindsided by it. Then, he can make an informed decision about what he buys, instead of getting the tractor and not liking how the 3 point operates. I think that most people assume that all tractors have postition control, when they don't. I know that my B7100 is the first tractor that I've operated or owned that didn't have it, and it has been a surprise that Kubota hasn't moved on and supplied position control on all their tractors. It should be standard.
Read crlawson's post for what it is- the economy line of Kubota tractors still don't have position control. He said cheaper, not low quality. I don't think that he was attacking Kubota, just pointing out that the 3 point on some of these tractors doesn't operate the same.

Last edited:

cerlawson

Equipment
rotiller, box scraper,etc.
Feb 24, 2011
PORTAGE, WI
OK guys, aside from having a possible bad fuel pump, causing me all sorts of greif trying to see why it died at a 1/2 tank, it works fine if I don't need good control of the three point, as with earth grading with a rear blade or snow plowing over a lawn. with three point mounted rear blade. I was spoiled by having an old Yanmar with standard three point of the same HP, plus two larger HP New Hollands. The only reason I did not go back to New Holland was due to the dealer not returning my call for info. While I am getting along with snow plowing over the lawns is that I turn the blade backwards so it won't dig into the lawn. That works amazingly well. Does a great job of mowing large areas with different grass height needed from place to place with its belly mower.

A change I made is adding an extension on the three point lever to get up along side the seat. For an old guy 85 years old reaching way down there and looking back when backing up, is too much.

I am satisfied with the limited bucket height range, since I seldom have to use high bucket.

If you don't need good three point control, go buy it.