Skidding Logs??

Magicman

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4900 Utility Special 4WD e/w FEL & 1530 John Deere "Traveling Man"
Oct 8, 2019
Brookhaven, MS
knotholesawmill.com
Skidding from the log's top end has several advantages. The top end is smaller/lighter so lifting it is easier plus it also shifts the ground contact portion to the butt so there is much less ground contact hence less dragging resistance.

Last edited:

Magicman

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Oct 8, 2019
Brookhaven, MS
knotholesawmill.com
Another view of the forks on the rear of the John Deere.
IMG_7989.JPG

It allows me to hitch high enough to lift the log off of the ground and the wide forks prevent rear flipover.

Reactions: 1 users

aaluck

Equipment
L4400HST, Bush Hog 276, RDTH60, Speeco PHD, etc
Oct 9, 2019
Snowdoun, AL
Another view of the forks on the rear of the John Deere.
That's a GREAT point that I never even thought of--because I have never skidded logs on my tractor. Fallen branches and small stuff but never logs.

I really appreciate your insight. If I ever have to do this I now know a real danger I can avoid.

Thanks

Magicman

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Oct 8, 2019
Brookhaven, MS
knotholesawmill.com
You are very welcome. My point was/is to show that there are ways and implements designed to use with a farm tractor to allow it to safely skid logs even though the tractor was not designed to do so. Bucking, skidding, loading and any otherwise handling logs is dangerous work and one must never think otherwise.

Here is a Sawmilling LINK topic that I started in the "Off Topics" board to show what I produce from some customer's logs. I will be sawing Eastern Red Cedar tomorrow.

trueg50

Equipment
B2601
Jul 1, 2020
Vermont
This is what I have on my 2601 and it fits and doesn't interfere with the 3-pt arms/hardware:

The drawbar is how you want to be pulling things, not just skidding logs, so if you need to pull a branch over etc.. I would use that.

You will also want grab hooks on the bucket. I use mine alot for pulling small logs out of hard to reach areas so they can be cut easier, or just generally lifting things. When ordering my 2601 I had my dealer put one on the center of the bucket and they welded one on (and painted it) at no charge.

TomRC

Jun 16, 2020
KY
TrueG50.........Thanks for the link above. Just to verify but there are 4 size options on the link. 3/4" is correct for the B2601 drawbar? And yes, some Kens bolt on FEL hooks were ordered last week.

Last edited:

trueg50

Equipment
B2601
Jul 1, 2020
Vermont
TrueG50.........Thanks for the link above. Just to verify but there are 4 size options on the link. 3/4" is correct for the B2601 drawbar? And yes, some Kens bolt on FEL hooks were ordered last week.
Yes, the 3/4 version is what I got. Fits in the last hole in the draw bar.

The hooks on the below chain fit right through without issue/finagling. (cheaper chain of the same type is available from Home Depot/Lowes):

TomRC

Jun 16, 2020
KY
Thanks for confirming 3/4" fits and will order one tonight. Big help and won't have to wait until my B2601 is delivered in a few weeks to measure. Just got a Grade 70 5/16 in chain with a grab hook on one end and slip hook with latch on the other end from Tulsa Chain last week. Paid a premium for it but apparently good chains. Again......appreciate the help!

Avasonsyn

May 31, 2020
Mansfield Center
For about 12 years I would choke the log onto my bucket that had a hook welded on it. Talk about dangerous. Saw on another forum someone did this. Works greats. Back up to the log, put a chain underneath and lift up. I have a little Kubota B1550 and it works great. Don't know what size logs you are trying to get out of the bush but this may work for your needs. Good luck! Thought I had a pic but I guess not. Here are some pics of the baby B1550 moving some logs.
1599480094325.png

1599479596386.png
1599480004756.png
1599479601933.png

1599479306155.png

Avasonsyn

May 31, 2020
Mansfield Center
I'm getting one of these. Would I be better off attaching a shackle to this 3 pt quick hitch receiver and towing logs from this instead of the drawbar. I was just under the impression that it was best to tow a log from the lowest point which would seem to be the drawbar. I'm a newbie.....lots to learn!

Just saw this...don't know how I missed it. Chromebook really slow today. Do that and don't look back. Make sure you weld a hook on it to get the log off of the ground. You will be happy you did. This is basically what I ordered. Good Luck!

ADAPTER FOR 3-POINT HITCH

HOOK

This may be helpful too.

weld ons

Last edited:

TomRC

Jun 16, 2020
KY
Ironic but I've already ordered that exact 3pt 2" receiver from palletforks.com but its back ordered for a few weeks. Its suppose to be quick hitch compatible with my Landpride QH15.....hope so anyway. Only goodie I've yet to order is a Piranha Tooth Bar but they told me to wait until I get my B2601 as there is some slight variation in the measurements of the 54" SSQA buckets.

Would it be safer though and less strain on the tractor to pull a log from a chain attached to a shackle on the drawbar since its lower?

Last edited:

Avasonsyn

May 31, 2020
Mansfield Center
I don;t know if I understand the question. I think the issue you will have dragging the log from the draw bar is lift. If you don't get lift from it, then you will be digging into the ground. I'm sure you know that though. again, don't know if I understand the question. You can always adjust the height with the 3-point hitch.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
We built one like this many years ago... We also built a kind of a tray,, I cant find a link to one but basicly think the hood off and OLD car and think a hole cut in the front of the hood. Now the idea is , and it does works well, the chain goes through the hole and around the log as you pull forward the log is pulled into the hood and you do not get hung up on anything because the hood slides over things. Now for you 2601, the draw bar is where to hook get a 1/2 inch clevis hook,,, Look in TS and RK around where they have the winches and off road stuff. 3/8 chain will be good enough even 5/16 is good also, puck up a GOOD slip hook that will allow the chain to slip through making a noose and it wont let go or slip off the log. the other end of the chain just a good hook and you are good to go,,,,,, OH one more thing remember low is your friend { low range, 4wd}, and you can never have to many chains