Skidding Logs??

TomRC

Jun 16, 2020
KY
About to take delivery of a B2601 but need some help on how to best tow a log out of the woods. Ordering a good 5/16 chain from Tulsa Chain but need to know what to buy to attach to the drawbar. I'm guessing a clevis of some sort but not sure what size / type clevis and what pin size fits the B2601 drawbar. About to order some Ken's bolt on hooks for the FEL so if someone could spoonfeed me with a description or better yet a link on Ken's or the Tulsa Chain website as to what I need to attach to the drawbar of the B2601 to connect the chain to I'd be most appreciative. And I'm assuming its better to pull a log from the drawbar rather than the 3pt hitch?? Thanks in advance

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
Others who do it for a living will reply soon( unless they're in the woods ! ) ... but.... get the tractor end of the log as high as possible to keep as much of the DIRT and stones out of the bark. I've hauled heavy ( 3000#) logs tied to my 'carryall',600-700' with no problems. I milled these logs,so the cleaner the better. If just firewood, draggin on the ground might not be that bad ??

Bmyers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Grand L3560 with LA805 loader, EA 55" Wicked Grapple, SBX72 BB, LP 1272 mower
May 27, 2019
Southern Illinois
Depending on how deep your pockets are

Here is a cheaper option

What few logs we have pulled, it has been a shackle to the drawbar. We normally pull them far enough to get where we can cut them easy and then grapple them to the pile.

haveissues

Equipment
LX2610
Sep 13, 2013
northeast
I made something like the DR link that I used along with a choker and it worked really well. IMO getting the front of that log up in the air will make it a lot safer and easier to skid.

Reactions: 1 user

TomRC

Jun 16, 2020
KY
Sorry as I'm probably not communicating clearly but just looking for something simple that I can attach to the drawbar that I can then attach a chain to. And I don't have the B2601 yet so not sure what size pin fits the B2601 drawbar? Would something like this work?

or maybe this?

Bmyers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 27, 2019
Southern Illinois
If I remember correctly, I bought 3/4 shackle and it was rated at 4 or 5 tons

PS-I have a L3560, so most likely a different size hole.

bcp

Equipment
BX2360
Apr 20, 2011
SW WA
Drawbar hook.

Bruce

aaluck

Equipment
L4400HST, Bush Hog 276, RDTH60, Speeco PHD, etc
Oct 9, 2019
Snowdoun, AL
Sorry as I'm probably not communicating clearly but just looking for something simple that I can attach to the drawbar that I can then attach a chain to. And I don't have the B2601 yet so not sure what size pin fits the B2601 drawbar? Would something like this work?

or maybe this?

Either of those will work just fine.

As others are saying.... The advantage to the 3 point hitch option is that you can lower to the bottom and then once you get the log chained you can lift the 3 point to get the front of the log out of the ground.

In other words get a cheap 3 point-hitch-receiver, put the draw bar in there and then you have up down control of the log and chain.

Magicman

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4900 Utility Special 4WD e/w FEL & 1530 John Deere "Traveling Man"
Oct 8, 2019
Brookhaven, MS
knotholesawmill.com
Use your 3 point rather than your draw bar. It's already been mentioned about lifting the "nose" of the log up to keep it from digging in. You can't do that with your draw bar.
IMG_8257.JPG

Whether you use logging tongs as shown or a choker attach it as close as possible to the tractor. Remember that it could be easier to skid the log from the top end rather than the butt end.

TomRC

Jun 16, 2020
KY
Appreciate the input, that drawbar grab hook above or the shackle directly about was what I was thinking. Cheap so I'll probably buy one of both see whether the hook or the shackle works better.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
I won't mill any log pulled by drawbar unless the owner powerwashes it and 100% of it is inspected before it goes on the mill.Dirt,mud ,pebbles..all of that gets into the bark and will destroy a $75 blade in very,very short time.

TomRC

Jun 16, 2020
KY
I'm getting one of these. Would I be better off attaching a shackle to this 3 pt quick hitch receiver and towing logs from this instead of the drawbar. I was just under the impression that it was best to tow a log from the lowest point which would seem to be the drawbar. I'm a newbie.....lots to learn!

Magicman

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4900 Utility Special 4WD e/w FEL & 1530 John Deere "Traveling Man"
Oct 8, 2019
Brookhaven, MS
knotholesawmill.com
Now the fact is that logs should never be skidded with a farm tractor. Rear flipovers have killed many tractor operators.

You are absolutely correct that if you do they should be skidded from the lowest point on the tractor to prevent a rear flipover. This point would be lower than the rear axle.

The reality is that it is done every day but that does not make it right.
IMG_0839.JPG

I have personally skidded logs for a mile+ with only the rear wheels on the ground and steering with the brakes. What you can not see is that there are forks on the rear which were preventing the tractor from doing a rear flipover. Notice that I am holding onto the rear fenders and not the steering wheel.
IMG_7422.JPG

I now have a logging winch on the rear which allows a "high hitch" and also prevents a rear flipover. The FEL adds weight to the front and it also can grab a scoop of dirt which will add additional weight.
IMG_7981.JPG

Here I am skidding an 18' X 27" butt log. Notice that I have the log off of the ground and that I am skidding the top end first. That's a heavy log and the front wheels never came off of the ground.
IMG_7982.JPG

Here the John Deere is skidding two 12' logs. The ends are off of the ground and the forks on the 3 point will prevent a rear flipover.

Be careful and be very aware of the danger of a rear flipover. Raise the ROPs and wear your lap belt.

TomRC

Jun 16, 2020
KY
Very educational. I used tractors a lot when I was a kid but that was MANY moons ago so will tread lightly (no pun intended) as I dive back in to tractor operating. I'm a paranoid worry wort to begin with so this will be a good thing in hopefully keeping me out of trouble! I'll have a set of forks and try to carry smaller sections of cut logs out carefully and LOW on the forks but I'm guessing there will be times where I can't initially get them on the forks and need to drag them a ways first. Got a lot of cleanup work to do on some property I bought.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
Apr 2, 2019
That Tiber-tuff unit is bolted together...so I hope good grade8 bolts were used. In the picture that log seems too far back from the tractor. I like them close to the rear,better control.
As for 'farm tractors shouldn't be skidding logs'... when PROPERLY outfitted and operated in a safe manner, they do an excellent job. As for being unsafe, there's a recent post with pictures here of someone who luckily escaped death from flippin his tractor cutting grass on a hillside, so 'farm tractord shouldn't cut grass ??' It's NOT the machine but the operator that cause 99.44% of the accidents,using or abusing a machine beyond it's limits or not being maintained.

Bmyers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 27, 2019
Southern Illinois
I'm getting one of these. Would I be better off attaching a shackle to this 3 pt quick hitch receiver and towing logs from this instead of the drawbar. I was just under the impression that it was best to tow a log from the lowest point which would seem to be the drawbar. I'm a newbie.....lots to learn!

The general idea is to not lift it any higher than you need to, which applies to both the 3pt and the loader.

With logs, if you are going to drag them any distance, you get the front just off the ground to keep them from digging in allowing them to be skid on the surface of the ground.

You stated you are new and here is a YouTube channel with a gentleman that covers a lot of information that may help you.

Last edited:

UpNorthMI

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200, L3901, MX5800, SVL75-2, KX040
May 12, 2020
Up North, MI
The general idea is to not lift it any higher than you need to, which applies to both the 3pt and the loader.

With logs, if you are going to drag them any distance, you get the front just off the ground to keep them from digging in allowing them to be skid on the surface of the ground.

You stated you are knew and here is a YouTube channel with a gentleman that covers a lot of information that may help you.

Take a look at the Tractor Transformer hitch & Log boom arm from pallet forks.com

I use a Farmi skidding winch for pulling trees onto tracks with my MX5800, I often have a helper that uses the transformer hitch and log boom on my L3901 to help pull the trees out along the trails. Transformer hitch is heavy duty.