Size matters to my wife.

NCDesmo

Mar 28, 2017
Raleigh, NC
Thinking about getting a small tractor to do landscaping on 1.3acres with some trees and slight slope. Also occasionly help mow flat 5 acres of grass at church. My wife is a farm girl, but thinks a tractor for our yard is crazy. We live in NC.

So, I took her to Kubota open house to just 'look' at a BX23s. She looks at it and says it's too small, it needs bigger tires. Next thing I know she has a sales rep pulling out a B2601 to test drive.

I'm thinking "ok, a little bigger, but will still work." Then my wife asks about one with a cab and air. So off she goes to test drive a B3350 (no B2650 on lot).

20 minutes later we're getting a quote on a B2650 with cab, FEL and tiller. But I still think its too big.

Is a B2650 useable on such a small property, or will it just get in its own way? Going to reshape yard, put in several garden islands, a koi pond, remove some trees, and tend a small intermittent creek.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J320A using Tapatalk

jmf78

Equipment
BX23S W/ Factory Deluxe Cab, 60" MMM, 60" BX-2612 Snow Blade & BX-2816 Blower
Nov 5, 2015
Edinboro, PA, USA
BX23S is plenty for my 3.5 acres. Just sent it to the dealer to get the heated cab installed. Not sure if A.C. is an option though.

NCDesmo

Mar 28, 2017
Raleigh, NC
I've had plenty of discussion that it isn't practical. Does anyone here use a small cab tractor for anything other than larger scale mowing or snowblowing? For the money I could add every implement we want or a backhoe to a B2601.

gcmiller

Equipment
B2910, LA402 FEL, Caroni TC-910 91" finish mower, RTV900
Mar 13, 2017
Raleigh, NC
I’m also in Raleigh and I have a 2004 B2910 w/ FEL, which is pretty similar to today’s B2650 (30hp w/ 20hp PTO), but I’m on close to 11 acres. I think my tractor would be excessive for 1.3 acres and I’d go with the BX series if I were in your shoes. The BX sounds perfect for your needs and it seems like everyone on here who has one raves about how strong they are for such a small package.

I’m curious why she wants a cab. The AC will be nice a few times a year, but you’ll doubtfully run the tractor in your yard in the rain and you probably won’t use it much in the winter either. It just seems like you could put that money elsewhere, like more implements and a backhoe. But to each his own.

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
Size matters. As a lady sheepfarmer I bristled when my neighbor said about my new B2650 "well it is more your size". :mad: In this case my first and very much loved tractor (after the Ford 8n) is an L3560, which has a pretty big frame(and is bigger than his tractor). Definitely not a small backyard tractor, but I do cart things all around with it. But the 2650 plus cab is fine in my back yard. It has a great turning radius, good visibility from the cab if you have a MMM, and is easy on the grass. Mine at the moment is mainly outfitted for a snowblower, but I will also use it to load manure into the spreader later this summer. Another member eipo brought his b2650 over before I got mine, and showed me how easy it was to switch out implements and take the loader off etc. It was easy to mow with. If your wife feels more comfortable on a b size tractor, and will likely use it a lot of the time, go with it. She might always feel dissatisfied with a bx. BUT with regard to the cab you need to take into account the trees and other overhangs in your yard. You can fold a rops down, but a cab is not forgiving.

NCDesmo

Mar 28, 2017
Raleigh, NC
She grew up on a 700 acre row crop farm in Illinois. The BX just seems too small to be a real tractor. These are the smallest tractors she's ever driven.

I think she likes the idea more for mowing the church yard in the summer than for our yard. She may have other ideas she hasn't shared with me yet. I think a B2301/2601 will be our compromise.

sdk1968

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2601HSD & CK4010HST 4WD/FEL
Oct 19, 2016
Ohio
you will just flat out LOVE a 2601.... (just bought a new one a few months ago its an awesome machine for a small farm!)

its actually still "too big" for your yard. but it turns great & is fairly narrow & doesnt kill someone on price.

they have plenty of power for anything you named without all the weight of the 2650 to tear up the yard if its wet.

if she just wants the cab? remind her that if you have any woods to clear or take care of that cabs are very expensive every time you bust that glass.

now if your going to PLOW fields? bale lots of hay? sure!! go bigger!

but if your just gonna bush hog a little & mow grass? 2601 is PLENTY!

jkcolo22

Equipment
BX25D
Jan 5, 2017
Castle Rock, Colorado
Some of my neighbors think I'm crazy for having a BX25D on 5 acres. 2601 is definitely a big machine for 1.3 acres. Only thing I wish my BX had more of was FEL lifting power.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

beige02

May 4, 2017
GA
The BX should be good enough to do the job, but who knows if the bigger one would be in good use in the future.

WFM

Equipment
L3800
Apr 5, 2013
Porter Maine
Hey if mother wants the larger tractor with 'all the extras'...I'd say you have a great wife. Mine is intimidated driving a tractor. So I envy you guys that have wives that aren't afraid to drive yours.
Happy wife, happy life...

chim

Equipment
L4240HSTC with FEL, Ford 1210
Jan 19, 2013
Near Lancaster, PA, USA
When we went tractor shopping the last time (2012) the B7500 was replaced with the L3200. About 6 months after the purchase, I built a heated cab. If somehow I found myself inheriting a large sum of money, I'd probably replace the L3200 with a tractor that had a factory cab with heat and A/C and enough horses to run an 8' RFM. The L3200 is a great tractor for our 3-1/2 acres, but a guy can dream about mowing in the comfort of A/C in the summer.:D

NCDesmo

Mar 28, 2017
Raleigh, NC
When we went tractor shopping the last time (2012) the B7500 was replaced with the L3200. About 6 months after the purchase, I built a heated cab. If somehow I found myself inheriting a large sum of money, I'd probably replace the L3200 with a tractor that had a factory cab with heat and A/C and enough horses to run an 8' RFM. The L3200 is a great tractor for our 3-1/2 acres, but a guy can dream about mowing in the comfort of A/C in the summer.:D
The final decision is made. We went with the B2601 outfitted with the FEL, rear work lights and a box blade to get started. And 3 free hats. Don't forget the hats.

tommott77

May 22, 2017
WILMINGTON, NC
Thinking about getting a small tractor to do landscaping on 1.3acres with some trees and slight slope. Also occasionly help mow flat 5 acres of grass at church. My wife is a farm girl, but thinks a tractor for our yard is crazy. We live in NC.

So, I took her to Kubota open house to just 'look' at a BX23s. She looks at it and says it's too small, it needs bigger tires. Next thing I know she has a sales rep pulling out a B2601 to test drive.

I'm thinking "ok, a little bigger, but will still work." Then my wife asks about one with a cab and air. So off she goes to test drive a B3350 (no B2650 on lot).

20 minutes later we're getting a quote on a B2650 with cab, FEL and tiller. But I still think its too big.

Is a B2650 useable on such a small property, or will it just get in its own way? Going to reshape yard, put in several garden islands, a koi pond, remove some trees, and tend a small intermittent creek.

Small world. I just joined the forum after looking to test ride a 3350 at the local dealer down here in Wilmington, but the only had a 2601 on the lot. In your shoes as well in trying to get a feel if a 3350 will fit and maneuver around a 1 acre home property at all for most of its use, while needing it for projects and maintaining 11 steep mountain acres as well. I currently have a SCUT in a different color that does great around the house, but I've just about maxed its capabilities after one trip to the mountain property.

Can you do me a huge favora and tell me what dealer had the 3350 in Raleigh? I'd love to drive up there to check it out and get a feel for it. The 2601 felt like it could work at my home property, just not as well as the my current SCUT, and likely wouldn't quite be capable as my imagination up at the mountain property.

NCDesmo

Mar 28, 2017
Raleigh, NC
The Tractor Center in Garner. But I don't see it there any more. They have been selling tractors like gang busters this Spring. But you can give them a call.

Spectre381

Equipment
Kubota B2650, LA534 FEL, SGC0660 Grapple, 42" forks, ballast box, ratchet rake
Aug 18, 2016
NC
Got my B2650 from the Tractor Center (Garner) last fall. Can't say enough good things about them and LOVE my 2650!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

85 Sovereign

Equipment
L4701 HST
May 3, 2017
Northern Virginia
Sounds familiar! I was looking at the L3301 and my fiancée talked me into the L4701. Considering the larger and stronger frame, stronger loader and increased 3pt capacity, it was a big jump but well worth it. I'm still very new here and to the tractor with only 15 hours on it so far, but I'm very happy with it. If it ever stops raining, I'm going to rack up some more hours on it real quick!

NCDesmo

Mar 28, 2017
Raleigh, NC
Got my B2650 from the Tractor Center (Garner) last fall. Can't say enough good things about them and LOVE my 2650!!

Yep. Good folks at The Tractor Center. Still waiting on my B2601 because I decided to add on a 3rd function valve at the last minute.