Sidekick RTV-XG850 backfiring / loss of power

Siesta Sundance

Equipment
L305DT, MX 5200, SVL 75-2, (Sold M7060))
Oct 23, 2022
youtube.com
I thought I fixed that right after posting. It has been tough being diagnosed with long covid that I got from the second vaccine and brain fog is the worst part of it. Kubota has not offered changing the oil viscosity as a fix to anyone yet. That just affects viscosity and not lubricity changing. Letting the internet come up with a solution to a manufacturers problem just isn't the proper way to handle it. Really getting some mad at Kubota and others happy to let you know Kubota doesn't know how to make gas side by sides. Sure seems that Kubota knows nothing about how to fix this engine that they just used from a closing down Subaru small engine division. Having to swap out parts to figure out what the problem is as the mechanic told me, really doesn't sound right in this world of sustainability and computer data gathering abilities.
what weight oil would be best to run in these to combat the issue?
If the manual recommends a 10w-40 oil and you also have gas getting into the crankcase, I would definitely use a 20w-50 oil, maybe 1 quart of something even thicker.
Cause Kubota wants you to excessively warm up that engine anyways, a thicker oil should help prevent the gas blowby on the rings. I run supreme gas in all my small gas motors, it burns more efficiently and has less ethanol. I also would put a hotter spark plugs in, to help eliminate waste of gas during the combustion stage. Spark plug gap is also very important, too small of gap may give to weak of a spark, too wide of a gap, causes the plug not to fire properly. It may be a fix, it might not be a fix, but it's worth a shot and it's low cost effort, thats for sure.

If the term recommend is used, it's not a requirement. The CDC/government recommends everyone to get the Covid Vax jab, but that's not a requirement for me or anyone else. @Sidekick Letting the internet (government) come up with a solution to a manufacturers (pandemic) problem just isn't the proper way to handle it. Look what that vaccine got you now..

I'm just trying to help you or @catalyst, anyone else with a simple approach. Do with it, as you wish.

Sometimes a change is needed, whether a manufacturer designed it otherwise. When I served overseas, some us made the decision to not grease the 30mm chain guns on the aircraft, given the desert environment. The grease was actually a requirement, but it also meant premature wear/failure/malfunction on the weapon. When the aircraft were not landing/take offs on concrete/asphalt it became a huge problem. Most of the time the aircraft had to land in small FOBs for fuel, rockets, missiles, and ammo on unimproved surfaces (out in the desert) and the sand would accumulate on the weapons because of the grease. In aviation, there are many chemicals, sprays, greases at our disposal. We cleaned the 30mm weapons of grease, we used numerous coats of solid film lubricant(aka dry film lubricant) instead of the grease. Mission success, the aircraft would come in daily, we just took air nozzle to the weapons if they were not used. We had 2 spare weapons ready to swap out if the aircraft came back and the weapons were used on mission.

Reactions: 1 user

Siesta Sundance

Equipment
Oct 23, 2022
youtube.com
If they go “all electric” we’re screwed.😡
Oh I agree.

About 15 years ago, I had a friend get a electric hunting UTV, bad boy buggy, I think it was 4wd too, anyways he got like $6,500 rebate from the government also, lol. That loop hole was closed the next following year.
I actually liked the electric UTV for hunting purposes, because it was very quite, it didn't spooke the game nearly as much and it drove pretty good on the trails.

FTG-05

Equipment
L4330 w/FEL, RTV-XG850 and ZD326S
Jul 21, 2013
TN
If the manual recommends a 10w-40 oil and you also have gas getting into the crankcase, I would definitely use a 20w-50 oil, maybe 1 quart of something even thicker.
Cause Kubota wants you to excessively warm up that engine anyways, a thicker oil should help prevent the gas blowby on the rings. I run supreme gas in all my small gas motors, it burns more efficiently and has less ethanol. I also would put a hotter spark plugs in, to help eliminate waste of gas during the combustion stage. Spark plug gap is also very important, too small of gap may give to weak of a spark, too wide of a gap, causes the plug not to fire properly. It may be a fix, it might not be a fix, but it's worth a shot and it's low cost effort, thats for sure.

If the term recommend is used, it's not a requirement. The CDC/government recommends everyone to get the Covid Vax jab, but that's not a requirement for me or anyone else. @Sidekick Letting the internet (government) come up with a solution to a manufacturers (pandemic) problem just isn't the proper way to handle it. Look what that vaccine got you now..

I'm just trying to help you or @catalyst, anyone else with a simple approach. Do with it, as you wish.

Sometimes a change is needed, whether a manufacturer designed it otherwise. When I served overseas, some us made the decision to not grease the 30mm chain guns on the aircraft, given the desert environment. The grease was actually a requirement, but it also meant premature wear/failure/malfunction on the weapon. When the aircraft were not landing/take offs on concrete/asphalt it became a huge problem. Most of the time the aircraft had to land in small FOBs for fuel, rockets, missiles, and ammo on unimproved surfaces (out in the desert) and the sand would accumulate on the weapons because of the grease. In aviation, there are many chemicals, sprays, greases at our disposal. We cleaned the 30mm weapons of grease, we used numerous coats of solid film lubricant(aka dry film lubricant) instead of the grease. Mission success, the aircraft would come in daily, we just took air nozzle to the weapons if they were not used. We had 2 spare weapons ready to swap out if the aircraft came back and the weapons were used on mission.
How do you select or pick a hotter spark plug?

Siesta Sundance

Equipment
Oct 23, 2022
youtube.com
How do you select or pick a hotter spark plug?
Upgrade the plug to a platinum or iridium, the second alternative takes a bit more research into the manufacture of the spark plug itself. Finding the same size plug, then the various part numbers/applications that plug uses. 2 stroke plugs also tend to have more spark.

In regrads to heat range, the smaller the number, the hotter the plug.

Last edited:

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca
We have an electric golf cart for short trips. Won't make up from my pond with a little moisture on the ground. Once it looses traction you start sliding down backwards praying a tree doesn't stop you. Kubota has redefined the term short trips now to include 20 minute rides.
The ATV market is expected to grow to almost 30 billion by 2030 with 86% of those sales being gas machines. That is probably why Kubota tried to enter the segment. Gas and diesel are just temporary if you go over and read the EPA papers on new emissions standards over the next couple years. Under 25 HP diesels will be finally required to met strict standards that could add 5 grand to the price. Also the sales and use of them are being banned in several states over the next couple years. Gas engine ATV will also have issues meeting the new standards and bans so they also will be phased out due to expense and state laws. Electric will eventually be the only option that is legal to buy and use in many states the way we are heading if no new engine technology is introduced. I think Kubota tried to jump in with a quick short term solution to grab some sales. Probably why they just grabbed a cheap Subaru engine and don't care about making a long lasting gas side by side. You can see some companies like Polaris are taking a long term commitment to the changing market already with EV models and better emission standards on the gas machines. I imagine Kubota will also be switching to electric machines with government and business contracts requiring them more and more everyday. I am guessing the Sidekick was just cheap to try and get the Kubota name in the fastest growing gas market to eventually step to the electric according to experts if EPA and local laws remain in place.
I put a 6" lift kit and 25" mudders on mine and hill climbs with 4 people on board weren't an issue. Get rid of the slicks if traction is your issue.

Sidekick

Equipment
Sidekick 850, BX3260, Z726XKW-3-60
Jul 29, 2023
N.Y,
I put a 6" lift kit and 25" mudders on mine and hill climbs with 4 people on board weren't an issue. Get rid of the slicks if traction is your issue.
It has traction tires and I guess where you live doesn't have hardpan that keeps moisture from draining. Better yet I got a Sidekick, but turns out it has a crap engine.
From what I understand thicker oil does nothing for gas bypassing the rings at startup. It keeps oil from bypassing a worn engine. Like putting lipstick on a pig.
Guy that looked at mine called me back and thanked me. After reading this thread he wound up buying a new Gator instead. Said it has a 4k pound tow rating and 3 wide seating.. Wonder how they Deere came up with that tow rating.

FTG-05

Equipment
L4330 w/FEL, RTV-XG850 and ZD326S
Jul 21, 2013
TN
Upgrade the plug to a platinum or iridium, the second alternative takes a bit more research into the manufacture of the spark plug itself. Finding the same size plug, then the various part numbers/applications that plug uses. 2 stroke plugs also tend to have more spark.

In regrads to heat range, the smaller the number, the hotter the plug.
That's some good stuff!

Another question: How do you translate the Kubota/Messick's part number to AC Delco/Autolite/Boschs/Denso/Champion/NGK/Pulsar part numbers? Surely, Kubota doesn't make their own spark plugs. I tried using amazon, but both results from the search on part number showed they don't fit the XG850.

Kubota/Messicks part number: EG881-67710 PLUG,SPARK

Thanks for the help!

Siesta Sundance

Equipment
Oct 23, 2022
youtube.com
That's some good stuff!

Another question: How do you translate the Kubota/Messick's part number to AC Delco/Autolite/Boschs/Denso/Champion/NGK/Pulsar part numbers? Surely, Kubota doesn't make their own spark plugs. I tried using amazon, but both results from the search on part number showed they don't fit the XG850.

Kubota/Messicks part number: EG881-67710 PLUG,SPARK

Thanks for the help!

atomburst

Equipment
Kubota B9200 HST
Mar 8, 2010
Westerlo, NY
Having the same problem with mine. It is a 2018 with 60 hours on it. Will try to change the plugs but I can definitely smell gas in the overfilled oil.. SAD

Siesta Sundance

Equipment
Oct 23, 2022
youtube.com
Better yet I got a Sidekick, but turns out it has a crap engine. "probably so, that's unfortunate"
From what I understand thicker oil does nothing for gas bypassing the rings at startup. It keeps oil from bypassing a worn engine. Like putting lipstick on a pig.
At startup, probably, but that's with ALL engines, until oil is lubricated through out the motor, so your only speaking of a few seconds at most. The lower the viscosity, the more the crankcase is polluted. Multigrade oils such as 10w50, 20w50, and 15w50 show quite different abilities to control blowby on the VI improvers used. There is research out there and it was preformed on new motors, not a worn out engines.

When do you plan on releasing the youtube video?

atomburst

Equipment
Kubota B9200 HST
Mar 8, 2010
Westerlo, NY
How can there be that much gas in the oil? I just change it with the plugs and I'd say there is another quart...

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
LOUSY rings and/or head gasket ???
Those are the only two ways I know gas can get into the oil sump.

Sidekick

Equipment
Jul 29, 2023
N.Y,
How can there be that much gas in the oil? I just change it with the plugs and I'd say there is another quart...
I had about 12 ounces extra at 20 hours. Defective engines I am guessing with more and more popping up. That sounds like how much the OP had. Really surprised Kubota is trying to hide this issue and not addressing it.

Last edited:

Sidekick

Equipment
Jul 29, 2023
N.Y,
At startup, probably, but that's with ALL engines, until oil is lubricated through out the motor, so your only speaking of a few seconds at most. The lower the viscosity, the more the crankcase is polluted. Multigrade oils such as 10w50, 20w50, and 15w50 show quite different abilities to control blowby on the VI improvers used. There is research out there and it was preformed on new motors, not a worn out engines.

When do you plan on releasing the youtube video?
My warranty is up the end of this month so after that if nothing is done. Decided I have to go back and edit out some facts also to save for follow ups. Did you find anything out about that Canadian bulletin? Wonder if it is the one for replacing the ECU mentioned in another thread on here.

Last edited:

Siesta Sundance

Equipment
Oct 23, 2022
youtube.com
My warranty is up the end of this month so after that if nothing is done. Decided I have to go back and edit out the conversations at the dealer I recorded on my phone and some other facts also to save for follow ups. Did you find anything out about that Canadian bulletin? Wonder if it is the one for replacing the ECU mentioned in another thread on here.
I would drop it off at a different dealer, and not affiliated with the one that already kicked it to the side.

Also, I wasn't the person that saw anything about the Canadian bulletin/ECU.

My RTV is a 2021. When I do the same search - which I've already done many times - it shows no spark plugs for the 2021.
You may have to make a visit and/or call the parts store. The Napas usually have cross over books, not always found online for the 10's of thousands of plugs made.

catalyst

Equipment
BX80, RTV-XG850
Sep 30, 2018
St. Clair
Time for class action. How many of us are there?
We need more people posting with the issues if that is the intent. My RTV still starts up and runs perfectly fine. I am going to try and check the compression this weekend. The problem for me is that they only noted the compression was low when the engine was warmed up, and with almost a quart of fuel in the oil... i would imagine it would have poor compression with fuel diluted oil.

Mowbizz

Equipment
Bx25d
Aug 19, 2021
New Hampshire
Does anyone think that ALL of the sidekicks manufactured have this problem? Or is it a specific model?
I am looking to buy a sxs this year and there are some on marketplace etc. of course no one mentions this problem?
Be that as it may, I don’t think I would take a chance on one.

Siesta Sundance

Equipment
Oct 23, 2022
youtube.com
Does anyone think that ALL of the sidekicks manufactured have this problem? Or is it a specific model?
I am looking to buy a sxs this year and there are some on marketplace etc. of course no one mentions this problem?
Be that as it may, I don’t think I would take a chance on one.
The Kubota diesels SXS have been reliable. I didn't want a diesel due to the added cost, and my Kubota salesman told me Not to buy their gas version last year. Most of the gas versions didn't even hit dealers lots until june/July because those units were plague with problems/recall/production change. I'm 'very thankful that he was honest, I actually had him come out this past hunting season to shoot some cull bucks. I bought a new $12k 2023 Kawasaki 4010 gas Mule, and been happy with it, I think it already has 160+ hours no issues since last July.