Side shift flail won't shift?

BobInSD

Equipment
L5740
Jun 23, 2020
South Dakota
Problem Solved: Not Woodmaxx's fault. This seems to be a quality mower

ust put together a brand new Woodmax "Hydraulic shift" flail mower. When I try to shift it with the hydraulics it sometimes twitches/jerks but doesn't move significantly. I will call them on on Monday and ask how to handle it, but wondering how to troubleshoot? Trying to determine if the slides were binding or the cylinder wasn't working I disconnected the end of the hydraulic cylinder from the mower and it still would not retract (it would have had to move the mower to expand). But, I also couldn't shift the mower by hand with the cylinder disconnected. What would the next step be?

Thanks,

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

ctfjr

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800HST
Dec 7, 2009
central ct
When I hooked up mine it was jerky until it cleared the air out. Took a minute.

btw do you have it off the ground?

BobInSD

Equipment
L5740
Jun 23, 2020
South Dakota
Yes, off of the ground. Once my head hit the pillow I thought maybe I should bleed it? Crack one banjo bolt and push fluid out that end, then repeat for the other? I think I’ll try that after church today. It seems like a well built unit-Im hoping it’s something simple.

Thanks,

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
Yes, off of the ground. Once my head hit the pillow I thought maybe I should bleed it? Crack one banjo bolt and push fluid out that end, then repeat for the other? I think I’ll try that after church today. It seems like a well built unit-Im hoping it’s something simple.

Thanks,
See Kenny's comment on bleeding.

You say you cant shift it manually. Any chance there is a shipping bolt immobilizing the shifting mechanism?

Absent that my guess is no hydraulic power getting to the cylinder or one of the lines is blocked (e.g. quick connect not fully seated)

Your bleeding procedure would test whether you are getting hydraulic flow to the cylinder. Remove both lines at the cylinder and put them in a bucket. Cycle valve both directions to verify flow.

Dan

Last edited:

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
When a hyd. hose twitches like you describe first thing I'd check it quick connects. Be sure they are connected tight and correct.

BobInSD

Equipment
L5740
Jun 23, 2020
South Dakota
Thanks all. Problem solved the quick connects themselves were somehow defective. They could push fluid, but not return the fluid. They were brand new from Summit. Thanks everybody for the suggestions.

Any suggestions on where I can get decent couplers?

Thanks again,

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
Thanks all. Problem solved the quick connects themselves were somehow defective. They could push fluid, but not return the fluid. They were brand new from Summit. Thanks everybody for the suggestions.

Thanks again,
Thata odd. How did you determine the couplers were not returning?

Dan

Kennyd4110

Vendor Member
Sep 7, 2013
Westminster, MD
www.boltonhooks.com

Thanks again,
Well sell high quality name brand couplers, made in the USA or Italy, not from you-know-where. Not the first time I've heard of some quality issues with some of the Summit stuff.

Glad you found the issue.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

BobInSD

Equipment
L5740
Jun 23, 2020
South Dakota
Thata odd. How did you determine the couplers were not returning?

Dan
it would move if I cracked the other banjo bolt, so it was getting fluid (both ways). I got frustrated and stole the couplers of of my grapple. Worked like a charm.

Last edited:

BobInSD

Equipment
L5740
Jun 23, 2020
South Dakota
Well sell high quality name brand couplers, made in the USA or Italy, not from you-know-where. Not the first time I've heard of some quality issues with some of the Summit stuff.

Glad you found the issue.

Are you saying you sell couplers? I can attest to the quality of your hooks!