Should I get a Grand L4060HSD or a MX5200HSD

99LS1SS

Oct 7, 2014
North Carolina
I posted this in my other thread but I think it is too deep in the thread to get much attention. So, I'm posting an new thread with this specific question.

I've been working a salesman over, and he's been a very good sport about it. He is worked up some quotes for me on a Grand L4060HSD and a MX5200HSD. The two tractors are $1000 apart on price with the L4060 costing more.

Both tractors have a FEL, backhoe and a Land Pride RCR1860 60" rotary cutter. They both use the BH92 backhoe so if I decide not to get a backhoe the amount of the cost drop should be the same for either machine.

The L4060 has a lot of bells and whistles as well as a nice suspension seat, which is appealing.
The MX5200 has more power, which is also appealing.

They weigh about the same and their capacities are similar. The horsepower vs creature comforts seems to be the major difference.

If pricing between the two is relatively equal would you guys go with a MX5200 and have 10 more horsepower or the L4060 and have all of the Cadillac options?

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
I posted this in my other thread but I think it is too deep in the thread to get much attention. So, I'm posting an new thread with this specific question.

I've been working a salesman over, and he's been a very good sport about it. He is worked up some quotes for me on a Grand L4060HSD and a MX5200HSD. The two tractors are $1000 apart on price with the L4060 costing more.

Both tractors have a FEL, backhoe and a Land Pride RCR1860 60" rotary cutter. They both use the BH92 backhoe so if I decide not to get a backhoe the amount of the cost drop should be the same for either machine.

The L4060 has a lot of bells and whistles as well as a nice suspension seat, which is appealing.

They weigh about the same and their capacities are similar. The horsepower vs creature comforts seems to be the major difference.

If pricing between the two is relatively equal would you guys go with a MX5200 and have 10 more horsepower or the L4060 and have all of the Cadillac options?

the 10 hp is pretty good chunk to think about !

what are specifically the bells and whistles on the L

and what do you plan on doing with it ? Which will help you more, hp or the bells?

99LS1SS

Oct 7, 2014
North Carolina
the 10 hp is pretty good chunk to think about !

what are specifically the bells and whistles on the L

and what do you plan on doing with it ? Which will help you more, hp or the bells?
This is from my other post.

Here are my requirements, desires and my situation for a tractor.

4WD
Front loader
Backhoe
Prefer HST but will entertain other types of transmissions if the price mandates
I need a brush cutter capable of cutting 2" saplings.
My budget for a tractor is right at $40K (I prefer not to buy a used tractor)

I have a 10 acre lot. It is roughly 70% wooded with a 1/2-3/4 acre pond on it that is really overgrown on one side. To my knowledge, this lot has never been lived on and has only had about 2.5 acres farmed at some point. In the next year or two, my wife and I want to build a house on the land. This will require clearing a section of trees to make room for the house and yard. I also want to clear a path from the house to the pond that will allow us to see the pond from the house.

Early on in the tractor's life it will be spending a lot of time in and around the woods dragging felled trees out, digging up stumps, cleaning up the banks of the pond, clearing brush along the treeline, clearing patches of greenbrier and bush hogging the field. There will be various other chores but, those are the main ones for the immediate future.

I want to know what is the best tractor I can get that will handle the jobs listed above that will have everything I need for right around $40K. I want something that will work hard and last.

I've never purchased a tractor before so it is safe to assume that I don't know a lot of the particulars about what I do and don't need in a tractor.

MtnViewRanch

Oct 10, 2012
Lakeside Ca.

Both tractors should have a suspension seat, and I think the same one. That 60" cutter seems small for those tractors. While the MX5200 has more power, not sure that you would ever need it with your place.

The HST transmissions are not the same, the L4060 has an HST+ which is much nicer, especially for loader work.

Both machines are nice, but like you have said, one is a Cadillac. ;)

99LS1SS

Oct 7, 2014
North Carolina
Both tractors should have a suspension seat, and I think the same one. That 60" cutter seems small for those tractors. While the MX5200 has more power, not sure that you would ever need it with your place.

The HST transmissions are not the same, the L4060 has an HST+ which is much nicer, especially for loader work.

Both machines are nice, but like you have said, one is a Cadillac. ;)
Would you go with a 72" cutter? Will the L4060 run the 72" cutter ok? It will be cutting brush initially.
I'm leaning slightly towards the L4060HST. I'm still completely on the fence about whether or not to get a backhoe. One time I think I would use it and could justify the cost, another time I think that I would only use it initially and then it would sit which wouldn't justify the cost.

MtnViewRanch

Oct 10, 2012
Lakeside Ca.
Would you go with a 72" cutter? Will the L4060 run the 72" cutter ok? It will be cutting brush initially.
I'm leaning slightly towards the L4060HST. I'm still completely on the fence about whether or not to get a backhoe. One time I think I would use it and could justify the cost, another time I think that I would only use it initially and then it would sit which wouldn't justify the cost.
At 32 PTO horse power and using the 5hp per foot of width rule, it should turn a 6 footer no problem. :cool:

I have never cared for the attachment back hoes, even with the 4 point sub frames. Waaaaaaaay to much money for what you get in my opinion. Nothing really wrong with them other than the initial cost. :eek:

I'm not sure what they cost these days and never really new for this size tractor, but I know that for 8-10k you can get an old warn out commercial unit that has a 1000 hours of life left in it and it will still dig circles around any of these attachment back hoes.

It is definitely nicer to have the equipment on hand rather than renting though. I am not a fan of renting either, to restricting for varying time frames.

Good luck with your decision, for your circumstances, I believe that I would go with the L 4060. You may want to consider getting some additional remotes, both front and rear. ;)

99LS1SS

Oct 7, 2014
North Carolina
Well, as it turns out, given all of the similar input related to which tractor to get and whether or not to get a backhoe, I'm going with the L4060HST and I'm not getting a backhoe. In lieu of a backhoe, I'm going to get a larger rotary mower, a box scraper, pallet forks, 3rd function hydraulics on the front and a remote hydraulic hookup in the rear. I'll still come out cheaper with those additional implements than I would if I bought the backhoe.

olthumpa

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L275
May 25, 2011
Maine
99LS1SS

Personally, I think you made the correct choice for your needs.:)

MtnViewRanch

Oct 10, 2012
Lakeside Ca.
Get the rear remote with the float function, better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it, maybe even 2. :cool:

As far as the box blade, assuming that you are getting a 72" unit. Try to get something that weighs at a minimum of 750lbs. Here is the unit that I would get for your tractor. A BLR60, but I doubt that your dealer would help you out with it. Should be in the $2000-$2500 range and worth every cent. ;)

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
If I could afford it the Grand L would be sitting in the garage

Cal270

Equipment
4060 HSTC,LP1258,1672,1860,1672,ballast box,& HermanSupply fel snowplow
Jun 23, 2014
Mid-Michigan
I think you will like the 4060hst.
Plenty of power for 6 ft attachments.
I had a L3800 prior and have 5 ft rotary cutter and tiller, of course wish they were 6' now.
Tier 4 tractor and exhaust has no diesel smell. 80 hours on my 4060 and it just completed its 3rd regeneration.
Grand tractors have great controls and lots of features.
Plenty of power for my need.

Herkypilot

Equipment
KX040, M7060HDC 12 & L3540
Oct 10, 2011
Carroll County, VA
I have an L3540 & an MX5100 DT. All around use the L3540 is much easier to use. I have a 6 ft Bush Hog brand cutter and the 3540 will turn it but in heavy stuff I have to go to the MX. You'll like the 4060.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
OUTSTANDING,, now get out there and play,,,errr work ,,, yeah that's it I meant work :D