Shop/Shed 30x60

PoTreeBoy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L35 Ford 3930
Mar 24, 2020
WestTn/NoMs
Yeah, those guys with the tall stacks need tall doorways! That's actually the same plan size as I am contemplating. The shed will be in view from the house, but downslope some, so maybe I can get away with a 16-foot sidewall. I have to get out there with some stakes and some bamboo poles and mock it up!

On the aesthetics, I can't get crosswise with SWMBO (She Who Must Be Obeyed).

Can a doorway EVER be too high or too wide?

I was thinking of putting the big sliding doorway in the center of an endwall, but on narrow buildings (less than 40 feet wide) the pitch on the roof tends to limit an endwall's doorway height and width - you don't want the tops of the doors higher than the roof line when the doors are open! And, it just looks goofy to have the outer ends of the door track hanging out there in space.

On endwalls, we would make two doors meet on the lengthwise CL of the building. Endwall door frame-out is much simpler construction than for sidewall doors. Because on the sidewall, you're limited to a 9 foot-wide door opening and height at least a foot lower than the top of the sidewall, if you don't want to use headers and a stub pole to support the truss-end that would land in the doorway. It's just $$$. To me, 9 feet is too narrow for a sliding door, especially if you're wanting to back something around a corner on the way in. So, I'm gonna put my sliding door in the sidewall. It'll be 12 feet wide, with a clearance of 11 feet of height. That's like a minimal door height, in my mind. I'm going to have to balance the aesthetics of a very tall sidewall and a low doorway in a compromise of both...

Hey, the aesthetics RULE in the downstream marketplace!
And, MUCH more importantly, to SWMBO.
<chuckle> :)
-Paul
Neighbor's building has a roll-up door. I like a sliding barn door, it loses the least head room. But I don't have snow to contend with. Did you consider double sliding doors? You could have almost 12' width without extending past the sidewalls.

pigdoc

Equipment
G1800S L2500
Aug 19, 2022
SE Pennsylvania
Neighbor's building has a roll-up door. I like a sliding barn door, it loses the least head room. But I don't have snow to contend with. Did you consider double sliding doors? You could have almost 12' width without extending past the sidewalls.
Ya, it's not really a consideration for narrow buildings.

For smaller buildings, you want to exploit the longest building dimension - the sidewalls - for sliding doors. After about 30 feet in building length, the sidewall option dominates. For two reasons:
- Bulding codes limit total square footage.
- There is no limitation to sidewall height.

On my small 24x36 building, the sliding door in the sidewall will be 12-feet wide. When fully open, it will still be clear of the walkdoor on the same sidewall.

I just need to decide on the sidewall door height. How much is enough?

PoTreeBoy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L35 Ford 3930
Mar 24, 2020
WestTn/NoMs
IMG_20231108_091534152.jpg

Shelves from Tuesday Morning are up and Katy spent the night in her new home. That's as clean as it'll ever be.

Reactions: 4 users