Shifting Problem

vince_nashville

Dec 30, 2012
nashville, tn
I purchased a Kubota L3830 with glide shift transmission about five years ago. It is used very little ( 400 hours ). I don't have a shelter for the tractor and it is unfortunately stored outside. I am having problems with the shifting.

When I move the level to shift gears, the lever moves but it doesn't shift to the correct gear. For example, I can put it in forward and move the shift lever to 10th gear, but the tractor will only go to 4th gear. The highest gear that the tractor will go in is 4th or 5th, depending on the day.

I am wondering if the problem is the switch where the shift lever attaches.

Any ideas ? Thank you !

Vincent

Countrymech

Equipment
M125X, Case 1370, 1941 JD "B"
Dec 21, 2012
Nashville TN
I purchased a Kubota L3830 with glide shift transmission about five years ago. It is used very little ( 400 hours ). I don't have a shelter for the tractor and it is unfortunately stored outside. I am having problems with the shifting.

When I move the level to shift gears, the lever moves but it doesn't shift to the correct gear. For example, I can put it in forward and move the shift lever to 10th gear, but the tractor will only go to 4th gear. The highest gear that the tractor will go in is 4th or 5th, depending on the day.

I am wondering if the problem is the switch where the shift lever attaches.

Any ideas ? Thank you !

Vincent
Vincent, I'm in West Nashville, and I have no idea how your machine is designed. But with more info, I may be able to help. I'd like to know how the shifting strategy is arranged. I'll look into it....Is this machine a powershift?
Regards, Dan

Carlmims@gmail.com

Equipment
Kubota L2550 GST
Oct 6, 2012
Bon Agua, TN
I have a L2550 with Glide Shift transmission and live 30 miles SW of Nashville at the Dickson Exit 172. Similar problem... only runs in 4th and 8th...

Carl Mims

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
Dan, I guess the GST is more or less a power shift. A friend of mine has one and it can be shifted with or without the clutch up or down shift. To me they shift like a manual valve body on a automatic car tranny.

vince_nashville

Dec 30, 2012
nashville, tn
Dan - I am not familiar with a Power Shift. The Glide Shift allows for shifting just by moving the shifting lever to change gears. It doesn't require pushing in a clutch. On the steering wheel there is a lever to put into forward or reverse and then a shift on the left side of the drivers seat to change the gears. Thanks for the response.

Stumpy

Equipment
L175
Dec 1, 2011
NE Ohio
They're functionally similar but mechanically different. Here's a primer.

Just to confirm your tractor works and the shifters look like this right? I don't know much about them beyond what's on that link but if it will change gears normally for a few consecutive gears then I'd suspect something in the shift linkage has loosened up and you're not getting the full shifting range. I'd start poking around the gear shift linkage, if there's more to it than a simple lever attached to a pivot.