Shed Move

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
The wife & I moved a small shed from one location to another in order to have a larger one built in the original location. Small shed is 8' x 10' X 8', new one will be 12' x 16' x 12', same style, but with an 8' roll-up door.

I took two 2x12s about 8' long, cut 45s on both ends, jacked up the building, screwed the 2x12 "skids" to the 4x4 treated lumber runners, and wrapped a tow strap around the building. Hooked a 3/8" log chain between the strap & the tractor, and proceeded to pull.

My B7100 pulled it with ease, 4wd, low range, 1st gear, at idle.

We had two difficult spots, the first was at the end of the first pull- when we made the slight turn, the strap & chain went under the skids, requiring us to use the tractor to pull it free. Not a big deal, because we had to re-rig the tow to pull in the opposite direction anyway.

The second was soon after that- we snagged on an immovable rock, and had to jack up the building again and place another 2x12 over that rock. Things went smoothly after that.

1st pic shows the move path; yellow arrow shows the path of the 1st move, (forward) blue arrow shows the second move. (backward)
2nd pic shows the start of towing.
3rd shows the tracks left by the building.
ohshed.jpg IMG_0018.JPG IMG_0020.JPG

Reactions: 6 users

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
4th pic shows the old & new locations- white arrow is the old, and the new spot is just about where the FEL bucket is.
5th pic is approaching the new spot.
6th is another view of the ruts.
I was too tired to get any more pics. The move was easy, but all the work emptying the building's contents and then reloading it was quite draining.
recrop.jpg IMG_0024.JPG IMG_0025.JPG

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
NICE !! You're right, emptying (and ,soory, repacking) the shed is always MORE work than the move...
Reminds me of one I did 30 years ago, went ,ok, until I saw we'd spun the shed around and door was on the WRONG end........sigh...
neve rmade THAT mistake again.....
I've got 4 9by12's to move soon. Will screw on horizontal 2by6s, then place onto my 6by10 dump trailer,about 1' off the ground. Idea is backup to a couple milkcrates,tilt trailer, slowly go ahead, should drop shed in proper place. At least this time they're 'drive though' sheds...no doors !

Reactions: 1 user

chim

Equipment
L4240HSTC with FEL, Ford 1210
Jan 19, 2013
Near Lancaster, PA, USA
Unloading would make it a WHOLE LOT EASIER. I didn't bother with that step when moving the old shed out of the way to make room for the new one. No place for stuff till I was finished building the new shed, and moving mountains of stuff out and back in wasn't very appealing.

With the L4240, a bunch of pulleys, a big tree and a couple strong ropes, it was still pretty difficult to slide the old shed.

Attachments

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
I would tried to move it loaded, if the ground was relatively flat & free of rocks, but that was not the case.
Most of the rocks sticking up are based in China, so moving them is not possible with my equipment. We unloaded it one day, moved & reloaded the next day, and did some clean up the third day.
Thankfully, no weather to contend with.
That is quite an impressive pulley setup.(y)

Old_Paint

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX2610SU, LA535 FEL w/54" bucket, LandPride BB1248, Woodland Mills WC-68
Dec 5, 2020
AL
I did something similar with my 'red shed' several years back. But, I had no tractor, and didn't have to go quite that far. Far enough, though. And then, had to do it again this year, for your same reasons, to build a bigger shed. I moved it full, both times, using ratchet pullers, chains, 4" round posts, and a whole lotta ham sandwiches. The first move was east about 40 feet, then south about 65 feet. Going sideways was a complete and utter PITA. I broke several 4x4's by letting the round posts get too far apart. I also laid down old 2x8's from the deck I rebuilt so that the pressure points on the posts wouldn't break them on the ground when I went over a hole or uneven spot in the yard. I still broke two posts. Steering one that way is fun (NOT!). My LX2610 won't even think about moving it without getting something under the skids to reduce the friction. But, one minor difference is my shed is 12 x 20 x 8 and did I mention I didn't empty it? I guess that explains the failure of two ratchet pullers.

Reactions: 1 users

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
I don't believe I could have moved mine at all without unloading it- maybe on soft, grassy, flat ground.
The pull to the east wasn't bad until the quick pivot to the north, when the chain & strap went underneath the skids. Then the pull south worked well until it hung up on a rock, but once past that, the slow turn to the west went well.
I think this will be my last shed move- getting too old for this crap.

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
Got the new shed built:

IMG_0049.JPG IMG_0051.JPG IMG_0052.JPG IMG_0056.JPG