Shear pin replacement, what am I doing wrong?

Chris Williams

May 6, 2022
New Hampshire
So on my LX2610 with the 62" blower I will blow a pin here and there. I have spares, punch and two wrenches ready so the install isn't. Its location the whole, as the blower auger shaft slides back and forth a little. It takes me a lot longer than I think it should. Do any of you have a good way that marks where the holes are, etc if that explains it for quicker replacement. Don't get me wrong I dont blow a pin every time maybe every 15h time, just trying to not be the bungling mechanic each time if there may be a trick

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
You could put a file mark on the end of the exposed shaft that would indicate where the hole in the shaft is located. I have never done this because finding the hole has never been a problem for me in the past.

Donystoy

Equipment
LX2610HSDCC, B/H, Loader, plus numerous other attachments. B7200 sold
Dec 10, 2013
Binbrook, Ontario
I generally have no difficulty as mine are at either extreme ends of the shafts. Maybe write a note indicating how close to the ends of the shaft that the augers sit when the bolts are in place. Also write down the orientation that one is in relation to the other. You did not say what blower you have. Mine has the center gear box with a two piece auger like a small walk behind. Put this note in your tool box along with your spare shear bolts.
I know what it is like trying to replace these bolts with the snow flying around and the auger also encased in snow.

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
Both right and left shear bolts are on the same plane so if one is still good, then use that as a reference. I have found it easiest to have the bolt hole at 12 o'clock and insert the bolt from the top, put the lock washer on the bottom, and then the nut. Just tighten enough to slightly squish the lock washer and you are done.