Shear Pin Frustration

ronlackey

Jan 6, 2017
Eden UT USA
Not Ordinary Shear Pin Frustration

I have a BX 2750. I blow through a half dozen shear pins a winter. An acceptable number, and I know how to pound them out and replace. However, this time, I blew the shear bolt on the fan. This shear bolt connects the fan to the "driving shaft". I have broken this one before and been able to replace. However, this time (and this is the problem I'm trying to solve) the fan spins fine, so I can see the bolt and hole alignment with a light and a mirror. However, this time, the "driving shaft" and the fan are off 1/8" front to back. For example, if I could push the fan back another 1/8" on the driving shaft, towards the back of the blower (towards the reduction box) everything would line up perfectly and I could pound the bolt out. I have melted all ice and snow from the unit. I have inspected the back of the fan and do not see anything behind the fan that would keep it from pushing back further. I am starting to suspect the entire gear box, driving shaft and reduction box have been pushed back towards the tractor but nothing seems to be bent. I have also tried drilling the pin out with no luck. Anyone have any ideas on what's going on and how to get the holes to line up?
Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

OBKubota

Equipment
2014Gr2120,Gr2728Snowblower,Gck5GrassCatcher,agri-FabSpreader
Oct 21, 2014
Ontario
Any idea why the shear pin broke in the first place? I would expect it would take a good wack before everything moved back. Are you able to run it and check both sides, mine has a cover where I can inspect the chain and shaft I usually take it off to oil chain anyway. I'm hoping there's just some dirt or something behind the fan, maybe a friendly tap with a large Hammer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

ronlackey

Jan 6, 2017
Eden UT USA
Thanks for the response. Just pushed into a heavy large pile when it broke. But nothing that would move all the parts back??? yep, I took the chain off to see if the driving shaft would move.....no luck.

OBKubota

Equipment
Oct 21, 2014
Ontario
I would think with chain off the shaft not moving back and forth is a good thing.
If you used a bolt instead of an actual shear pin maybe it didn't break clean and it or part of it is preventing The fan from sliding far enough forward for alignment , if you can't get it to align with a little muscle and a few taps you may have to pull it off. Maybe someone else has had this problem before and will coment. When I get home tomorrow I. Will look at diagram too see what's involved.

Last edited:

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
It has shoved the gear box back, look on the back of the unit you will see a lock collar on the back bearing, I'll bet the shaft is back on the bearing, loosen the collar and readjust the shaft.

OBKubota

Equipment
Oct 21, 2014
Ontario
It has shoved the gear box back, look on the back of the unit you will see a lock collar on the back bearing, I'll bet the shaft is back on the bearing, loosen the collar and readjust the shaft.
Do you mean this one Wolfman?

IMG_0781.jpg

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
Almost looks like that shaft has slid back in the collar- "bare" shaft showing.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Thanks everyone. I will try to loosen the collar. Will post a pic.
Ron - hope all works out okay.:)

I spun the chain off my BX2750D blower a couple weeks ago. It had obviously gotten loose as I was working it pretty hard on some very uneven ground. All went back together fine, thankfully. Was concerned I really messed it up bad.:D

For what it's worth- I use OEM shear bolts for the blower. I know they're MUCH more expensive than some alternatives, but better safe than sorry with a $3,000 blower. I go through a few every year, too.

Not sure if yours are OEM or not, but throw it out there for consideration.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
So here is what mine looks like. Going to try the advice above on the bearing.
Ron, Inspect that bearing very closely, with the rust color (yes it could just be the color of the grease) and the look of a broken race, you may need to pull it apart and put a new bearing in it. ;)

OBKubota

Equipment
Oct 21, 2014
Ontario
So here is what mine looks like. Going to try the advice above on the bearing.

Yes if you compare mine in pic 1 (that is in good working order) with yours in pic 2 it defiantly looks like it has pushed in. Thanks all for input and good luck Ron.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I also see the bolts that hold the bearing flange in place are loose, the lock rings are not squashed.

I personally would pull it apart and most likely it needs the bearing replaced.

ronlackey

Jan 6, 2017
Eden UT USA
Many thanks to everyone who helped! I suspect I have problems that will require a rebuild this spring, but I got it all working again - for now. I loosened the bolts on the bracket that holds the gear box in place. I then took a long crow bar and wedged it in there to bring the whole apparatus forward about 1/8 of an inch. The pin came out with one hit of a hammer. Happy and ready for the next Utah storm.
Thanks again.

OBKubota

Equipment
Oct 21, 2014
Ontario
Re: Not Ordinary Shear Pin Frustration

Tighten things up like Wolfman pointed out. I would get parts now and be ready in case this happens again before winters end.