setting TDC

riverbasin

Jun 2, 2010
Burlington, IA USA
Working on a Kubota D722E 3 cyl diesel mower engine in this applicaion.
How do I find V notch to set TDC on the injection pump to the no. 1 cylinder.

How do you know which end is no. 1 - the one toward the water pump, or the one toward the flywheel.

Any advice on setting these before I disassemble the head and prepare for a replacement? Have bad consumption of antifreeze and overheat so going after the head gasket, or whatever got eaten away in the process.

I've searched the web for manual info, and the operator manual is good enough to line the kitty box.

riverbasin

Jun 2, 2010
Burlington, IA USA
I'm replacing the cylinder head after tear down and examination. So IP will be affected, and everything needs set to TDC for correct reassembly. Or is this engine not cam aligned for some reason?

eserv

Equipment
BX24, A1000 Kubota Generator
May 27, 2009
Hardisty, Alberta
The Kubota Diesel is not overhead cam, that is, the camshaft is in the block and neither it or the injection pump are effected when you remove or replace the cylinder head. The cam and IP are timed via timing marks on the gears under the front cover and cannot get out of time unless a gear fails. Number one is the one next to the water pump on all Kubota engines I know of.
Ed

Last edited:

Dwarner

Equipment
B7610 HST, Woods 6500
Aug 3, 2012
Enfield, CT
As was mentioned in another post there is no reason to check timing unless you are removing the timing gears on the front of the engine behind the front engine cover. Is there a reason you are concerned about the timing?

Ryan Slater

Equipment
B1550hst
Jan 1, 2015
tacoma, wa
As was mentioned in another post there is no reason to check timing unless you are removing the timing gears on the front of the engine behind the front engine cover. Is there a reason you are concerned about the timing?
To adjust the valves the motor has to be on tdc for some and then a different place for the rest. Since I am doing a head gasket and going to have the head surfaced and will more than likely need the shim the valve clearance will be off when I reassemble so knowing where to access and find the timing Mark's would he very very helpful.

whitetiger

Staff member

Equipment
Kubota tech..BX2370, RCK60, B7100HST, RTV900 w plow, Ford 1100 FWA
Nov 20, 2011
Kansas City, KS
To adjust the valves the motor has to be on tdc for some and then a different place for the rest. Since I am doing a head gasket and going to have the head surfaced and will more than likely need the shim the valve clearance will be off when I reassemble so knowing where to access and find the timing Mark's would he very very helpful.

I just remove the number one cylinder glowplug, insert a 10" long piece of bronze rod thru the hole and rest it on the piston. Turn the engine over untill the rod stop rising, pauses and starts to drop. Where it paused is TDC.

The timing mark should be seen thru a round rubber plug on the RH side of the bell housing about half way up.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Ryan, do not have the head surfaced just because you're replacing a head gasket. You're not dealing with a Chev Vega head, it heavy robust and most likely is not warped at all. If you're concerned have the machinist put a straight edge on it to show you it's warped.

bxray

Equipment
Bx25d
Dec 1, 2014
Cleveland, ohio
Have you tried cleaning the head yet?

Have you checked it with a strait edge?

I have cleaned metal with #400 wet/dry sandpaper and Blaster penitrating oil.

Ray

Ryan Slater

Equipment
B1550hst
Jan 1, 2015
tacoma, wa
Have you tried cleaning the head yet?

Have you checked it with a strait edge?

I have cleaned metal with #400 wet/dry sandpaper and Blaster penitrating oil.

Ray
In the process of removing it still but wanted to put the engine on tdc before I went any farther

Ryan Slater

Equipment
B1550hst
Jan 1, 2015
tacoma, wa
I just remove the number one cylinder glowplug, insert a 10" long piece of bronze rod thru the hole and rest it on the piston. Turn the engine over untill the rod stop rising, pauses and starts to drop. Where it paused is TDC.

The timing mark should be seen thru a round rubber plug on the RH side of the bell housing about half way up.
Ok thanks I will look for the plug. Much appreciated