Service???

lynnmor

Equipment
B2601-1
May 3, 2021
Red Lion
My new B2601 with loader and backhoe has been in the dealers possession for over two weeks to repair the backhoe. I told them in writing that the hoe drops down even with the engine running and that the cause is either the valve or the cylinder. Photos were provided. Today I received an email stating that Kubota support and the Kubota factory rep were involved and their tech worked on it for days. Their conclusion was that it is either the valve or the cylinder. They will keep me posted on any progress. What a brilliant bunch, someday they may actually fix the blasted thing.

I agreed to purchase this in stock unit on May 2nd and still have squat and no clear path forward. Very soon I intend to demand a refund.

Reactions: 1 users

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
keep us updated on the repair my friend has the same thing going on. I "think" on his that the control lever is heavy enough to put some pressure on the valve. Combine that with vibration from running and/or moving while driving, the backhoe drops. He keeps it locked and it's not a big deal to him but I'd like to figure it out for sure.

ranger danger

Equipment
Kubota M6060, MEB 802A tactically quiet generator
Jun 11, 2017
East of Placerville Ca
I'm with you on the service issue. Seems like a dying art. I ordered a new holster that is an "in stock" item. I ordered it 2 weeks ago. I have not received any communication from them at all!! I've called 2 times and sent 2 emails. I don't care if the holster takes 6 months, just communicate with me!!

Reactions: 3 users

Motion

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota MX5100HST/FEL
Aug 17, 2020
Mandeville Louisiana
That's why I believe it's important to get every manual, parts breakdown, diagrams, publications, etc. and purchase necessary tools to perform repairs yourself. Believe me, quality in the work place isn't going to get any better!

Reactions: 1 user

lynnmor

Equipment
B2601-1
May 3, 2021
Red Lion
That's why I believe it's important to get every manual, parts breakdown, diagrams, publications, etc. and purchase necessary tools to perform repairs yourself. Believe me, quality in the work place isn't going to get any better!
I agree and I do that with everything. The problem with this machine is that the parts were not made correctly and the replacement parts were wrong as well. What really gets me is the insistence from the dealer to have the tractor at his place till they figure out the problems, as if the tractor will somehow get better sitting in the sun and weather while nothing happens. If they could understand English, get the parts and then make an appointment, I would have a tractor nearly the entire time.

After seeing the shoddy assembly, I would much rather keep the tractor at home and do all the work myself, but that can't happen with a so called warranty.

Motion

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota MX5100HST/FEL
Aug 17, 2020
Mandeville Louisiana
I not sure what you're needs are and financial constraints, but If you could pick up a used tractor that needs work, it would provide you a back up and a project. Even if the tractor has a warranty stuff breaks! Tractors are like tools you can't have too many!

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
get them to immediately haul your tractor to you(free of charge),then call when the new valve and cylinder are in. then they can come get your tractor(free of charge), FIX it, and return(free of charge).
either that or give you a loaner' or refund 100% purchase price.
to change valve assy and cyl might be 2-3 hrs ? testing cyl is easy, takes 5 minutes to prep then 'see what happens'.

lynnmor

Equipment
B2601-1
May 3, 2021
Red Lion
I not sure what you're needs are and financial constraints, but If you could pick up a used tractor that needs work, it would provide you a back up and a project. Even if the tractor has a warranty stuff breaks! Tractors are like tools you can't have too many!
I looked extensively for a good used one before I bought. If they were good and the price even close to fair they were gone immediately. I did see plenty of abused but didn't want yet another project, so I bought new.

The thing is, the backhoe and thumb were made wrong in a number of ways and nothing broke. The remainder of the unit appears to be fine as best as I can tell from the seven hours of use.

I do have four 20 HP garden tractors, one with a loader, so they will continue to do the work while the new orange thing bakes in the sun.

lynnmor

Equipment
B2601-1
May 3, 2021
Red Lion
get them to immediately haul your tractor to you(free of charge),then call when the new valve and cylinder are in. then they can come get your tractor(free of charge), FIX it, and return(free of charge).
either that or give you a loaner' or refund 100% purchase price.
to change valve assy and cyl might be 2-3 hrs ? testing cyl is easy, takes 5 minutes to prep then 'see what happens'.

I agree, but in this thread I didn't state the rest of the problem. The thumb would not go to its highest position, but I fixed that in my tool & die shop. It still is a cobbled up thing and needs to be corrected. It is simple geometry, but that is way above the skills of all the folks involved. It may well be that the boom is fabricated wrong, but I can't get the numbskulls to provide me with the distance from pin to pin, that would require yardstick skills.

Additional problems were the too short bucket pin that was not drilled for a grease fitting, the collision of the boom and stick where I ground clearance and the plugged grease fittings that were completely loose. I fixed these in the hope that I could stay away from the dealer, but I am not going to replace the boom at my expense.

They really need to close the backhoe plant, those folks don't deserve a job.

mcfarmall

Equipment
Kubota M5660SUHD, Farmall C
Sep 11, 2013
Kalamazoo, MI
I wonder how many hours per day a tractor salesman could spend keeping every one of his customers "in the loop"? If he only sold one or two tractors a day, after a while that could add up to a few hours per day simply calling, texting, emailing. And remember each one of those customers thinks that his problem is the most important thing in the world.

Motronic

Equipment
B2650, Z421
Jun 3, 2021
PA
I wonder how many hours per day a tractor salesman could spend keeping every one of his customers "in the loop"? If he only sold one or two tractors a day, after a while that could add up to a few hours per day simply calling, texting, emailing. And remember each one of those customers thinks that his problem is the most important thing in the world.
It almost seems like if you set reasonable expectations and keep to them that you wouldn't have to call daily to give updates. Almost like a properly working service center or something. Really makes you think.

lynnmor

Equipment
B2601-1
May 3, 2021
Red Lion

In my case, the dealership contacted me twice via email and once by phone. I contacted them five times via email (three times to send photos of the issue that they requested), I sure hope that I didn't overburden them with such extreme interruptions over the past nearly three months. These eight contacts included not only the problems, but also the sale and delivery of the equipment. I prefer email so everyone involved can read it at their convenience and there is a permanent record of the discussion. Hopefully they were not inconvenienced too much since they only made thousands of dollars on the sale.

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA

several comments worth mentioning

Most dealers aren't out to sell 1 or 2 tractors a day. They'd like to sell 10-50 a day if possible. Kubota is more or less pushing the little dealers into bigger and "better" things, similar to what JD did in the early 2000's. In doing this they're kinda forcing dealers to carry more and bigger stuff. With more volume and bigger equipment they gotta figure out how to support it all. That is where the struggle is.

I managed a service department for 25 years. The last 3 or so they hired a dedicated service manager. I was a working service manager meaning I was in the shop getting filthy dirty, while answering phone calls, calling people with estimates, doing paperwork out the yazoo, filing warranties and pre-approvals, running parts for 2 other techs, crunching numbers, occasionally helping out in parts and seldomly in sales, I also did new vehicle assembly and predelivery inspections as well as trade-in appraisals and inspections. For a number of years, state motorcycle inspections as well. Mind you I had 4 major product lines, 7 at one point but for the majority of that 25 years, 4 major lines. Just using myself as an example.

Finding time to sit down and call customers was, painful. It was necessary, but in my case I had to actually prioritize calls. Equipment under warranty was priority over out-of-warranty paying customers (per the boss). New vehicle assembly and PDI priority over everything. Basically, the squeaky wheel gets the grease. I took between 90 and 130 phone calls per day during peak season (April through about November). I did my best to keep the other techs off the phone so they could work and even then I couldn't do it all and they had to help out once in a while. That job was a pain in the butt but it prepared me for what was fixing to come later on in my working life.

Almost all dealers are short staffed. They also don't pay their guys and gals nearly enough $$$ to do all the stuff they gotta do. Because of being short staffed and lack of decent pay, it was very common for folks in all departments to fail to communicate with the customers. Parts folks have to deal with the hundreds or thousands of parts coming in off the trucks, check them in, then figure out who gets what. Special order? Shop? Stock? Then they're calling customers. So they don't have the time to call, and on that note the majority of the time people don't answer their phone anyway. Most folks are 37% more likely to answer a text message than a phone call, and 18% more likely to answer a text than an email. So it's text--->email--->phone call, in that order. Return phone call? LOL! Salespeople have a list of emails and phone calls to return to generate sales. Then the ones that walk through the doors, the most important ones. They ain't got time to call people for service stuff, and if they do, they won't. Trust me. So the shop customers get called by the writer OR service manager assuming they have the time, and again the majority of folks don't answer their phone so it's text--->email---->phone call. And consider that each phone call takes an average of 5 1/2 minutes (that was my rolling average for the year that I logged them), times how many a day? There just ain't enough time, and aint enough personnel, to do it, unfortunately. It's not just tractor dealers either, car dealers are often in similar situations. Unfortunate.

60% of what we sold was lawn and garden. L&G customers are completely different than tractor customers and they are different than construction equipment customers who are alll different than boat customers. You get the idea. Scheduling sucks at most dealers. Way it works is, the squeaky wheel gets the grease. You have two or 3 techs. You have 1 of them dedicated to fast moving jobs, oil changes and blade sharpening (you get the idea). He's going an oil change and notices that the bellhousing drain is leaking. Tell service manager. He calls customer (maybe). Customer says split it and figure it out. Well the other techs are scheduled up for the next x amount of days/weeks so it sits on the back burner, perhaps after already sitting in a backlog of a week or three. Meanwhile, some lady pulls up and is going berzerk because her $1500 riding mower won't start and that the world's fixing to end cause her grass is knee high (and it usually isn't) if she can't get the yard mowed cause family's coming in for the weekend, yaddya yaddya. I've heard a bunch of excuses over the years. Sometimes they're true but not often enough. People have a tendency to over dramatize situations. So that wheel just got squeakier and needs grease sooner than so-and-so's oil change so the oil change sits another day. Tomorrow comes and some other catastrophe shows up, maybe a M-60 with a failing DEF header in the middle of hay season. Oil change goes further down the line, days weeks whatever.

it's all about scheduling. Communication is key. Any tech that this sounds familiar with, here's something you can do. Get a notepad (or you can do it electronically) and write down a list of every job you see that comes through your work area. Cross them off as you finish them. Do this in order, start at the top of the page and work your way down. If you see one near the top that ain't crossed out, find out why. Communicate with either the service manager or perhaps directly with the customer which is what I did because the SM didn't do it in a timely manner. After a while you'll get the hang of it and it works. Some dealer systems do it automatically but the 4 systems I used over the years did not.

but none of it changes the fact that you need a manager that manages, not just a boss that is quick to point out how you did something wrong. That's fine to do that, but there also needs to be a positive that comes out of a negative. If I did something wrong, the owner would let me know, but also made it a point to explain how it could be done differently. Then new company took over, corporate, if I did something wrong, I'd have 3 or 4 people calling texting or just showing up to tell me I did wrong but if I did something right, nary anything. Zero. Zilch. U get the idea. You gotta take care of your customers but one person cant take care of them all so they depend on the entire dealer to work together. If they can't work together they can't take care of their customers and their customers ain't gonna take care of the dealer-or Kubota.

As I have said many times, times are changing in the kubota world. I'm certainly glad I got out while I could. New challenges now, but I'm happily accepting them-and learning a LOT.

Reactions: 1 users

rScotty

Equipment
Kubota M59, JD530, Deere 310SG
Aug 19, 2010
Colorado Mountains
several comments worth mentioning

SNIP______

I managed a service department for 25 years. The last 3 or so they hired a dedicated service manager. I was a working service manager meaning I was in the shop getting filthy dirty, while answering phone calls, calling people with estimates, doing paperwork out the yazoo, filing warranties and pre-approvals, running parts for 2 other techs, crunching numbers, occasionally helping out in parts and seldomly in sales, I also did new vehicle assembly and predelivery inspections as well as trade-in appraisals and inspections. For a number of years, state motorcycle inspections as well. Mind you I had 4 major product lines, 7 at one point but for the majority of that 25 years, 4 major lines. Just using myself as an example.

SNIP____

As I have said many times, times are changing in the kubota world. I'm certainly glad I got out while I could. New challenges now, but I'm happily accepting them-and learning a LOT.
Lugnut, that's real interesting. Sounds like a busy place.

I had a small repair & parts shop. Started it with a partner and in a year he was gone & I had a dozen employees. I still remember the day I figured out that it made sense to appoint a Service Manager. What a load that took off of me.

Frankly we were a dealership in name only so that we could get access to wholesale parts. What we were was a specialized repair shop - and did NOT do warranty work.
Over the years I have come to the opinion that there is a lot that could be changed with service work.
What do you think of separating sales from service? What changes would you like to have made?
rScotty