Sending unit threads

lmichael

Equipment
Kubota G2160
Apr 23, 2021
Rockford IL area
I want to put a temp gauge and oil pressure gauge on my G2160. Anyone know the thread sizes for the fittings on the engine for the sending units? I am a little tired of the "idiot" lights

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
I want to put a temp gauge and oil pressure gauge on my G2160. Anyone know the thread sizes for the fittings on the engine for the sending units? I am a little tired of the "idiot" lights
I do not "know" but given its a Japanese engine I would "guess" they are 1/8" or 1/4" BSPT (R) threads.

I will also add my unsolicted opinion that gauges are nice because they give you empirical data but warning lights are much better at getting your attention when things go south.

Dan

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
Whatever it is, buy and use a 'T-fitting' so you can KEEP the idiot light AND have a gauge.
These dayze I suspect the sensor goes to some 'computer' and 'computer' powers the light...opens up a can of worms of 'no starts' if you remove the sending unit feed to the computer......

lmichael

Equipment
Kubota G2160
Apr 23, 2021
Rockford IL area
Will definitely use T fittings as on the oil pressure gauge anyway it controls the power steering which is electrical on this model

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
Will definitely use T fittings as on the oil pressure gauge anyway it controls the power steering which is electrical on this model
Thats interesting. I have a G2460 and a G2160 and I had no idea oil presure had anything to do with the opertion of the electric PS. How is oil pressure used by the PS? I can see ths might be important to know if the PS stops working.....

Dan

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
my guess is the engine HAS to be running before power is sent to the EPS unit ?
wiring diagram hopefully would show.....

mcfarmall

Equipment
Kubota M5660SUHD, Farmall C
Sep 11, 2013
Kalamazoo, MI
Should be the same as the sending unit (pressure switch) that turns the idiot light on and off.

lmichael

Equipment
Kubota G2160
Apr 23, 2021
Rockford IL area
I have a G2460 and a G2160 and I had no idea oil presure had anything to do with the opertion of the electric PS. How is oil pressure used by the PS?
The control box uses the signal from the oil pressure sender to activate the EPS. And yeah I think it's used to be sure engine is actually running
Should be the same as the sending unit (pressure switch) that turns the idiot light on and off.
Assuming this but would like to know actual sizes so I can buy proper fittings

Orange-in-Ky

Equipment
G2160, L225
Jun 9, 2023
Kentucky
Related question, can anyone tell me if there is a fused accessory wire or wire that turns on with the ignition switch that I can connect or splice my temperature gauge to? Pretty novice when it comes to electrical repairs. Thanks!

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Related question, can anyone tell me if there is a fused accessory wire or wire that turns on with the ignition switch that I can connect or splice my temperature gauge to? Pretty novice when it comes to electrical repairs. Thanks!
On what tractor? They are not all the same.

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
Kind of off topic, but the thread title brings to mind a "sending unit threads" incident from the old days.
An acquaintance owned a BSA (or Norton?) motorcycle that burned up due to low engine oil.
After rebuilding it, he decided to add an oil pressure gauge.
He found a suitable port on the engine, but the threads were BSP, not NPT, so he re-tapped it to NPT.
Worried someone might try to use a BSP fitting in it, he decided to stamp "NPT" next to the port.

When he hit the 1st letter stamp punch, he broke through the casting, making a large hole.
Crap.
I was able to clean up the hole & make a cover plate & gasket that attached with 4 bolts.
Put the oil pressure sensor in the plate.
Worked fine as long as I knew him.

Reactions: 1 users

Orange-in-Ky

Equipment
G2160, L225
Jun 9, 2023
Kentucky
Kind of off topic, but the thread title brings to mind a "sending unit threads" incident from the old days.
An acquaintance owned a BSA (or Norton?) motorcycle that burned up due to low engine oil.
After rebuilding it, he decided to add an oil pressure gauge.
He found a suitable port on the engine, but the threads were BSP, not NPT, so he re-tapped it to NPT.
Worried someone might try to use a BSP fitting in it, he decided to stamp "NPT" next to the port.

When he hit the 1st letter stamp punch, he broke through the casting, making a large hole.
Crap.
I was able to clean up the hole & make a cover plate & gasket that attached with 4 bolts.
Put the oil pressure sensor in the plate.
Worked fine as long as I knew him.
Thanks for sharing. His incident makes me feel a little better about my similar predicament. I wanted a little better access for the holesaw for the gauge and started to remove the steering wheel. Used an impact to remove the very rusty steering wheel nut and still couldn't easily remove the steering wheel. Gave up on that so replaced the nut and had to drill the hole in at a very slight angle. It wasn't too big, which was my original concern, but now my steering immediately cycles all the way to the right when the engine is started. Now wondering if I damaged the EPS system through using the impact, or hopefully just jarred a connection. Any suggestions from anyone?

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
Thanks for sharing. His incident makes me feel a little better about my similar predicament. I wanted a little better access for the holesaw for the gauge and started to remove the steering wheel. Used an impact to remove the very rusty steering wheel nut and still couldn't easily remove the steering wheel. Gave up on that so replaced the nut and had to drill the hole in at a very slight angle. It wasn't too big, which was my original concern, but now my steering immediately cycles all the way to the right when the engine is started. Now wondering if I damaged the EPS system through using the impact, or hopefully just jarred a connection. Any suggestions from anyone?
I have a G2460 and a G2160 and both do that periodically. Anecdotally it seems to be related to the controller module and a power cycle seems to fix it. WSM might shed some light on whats actually happening and/or what the official fix is.

My general understanding of electric PS is the steering wheel shaft has torque sensors that sense operator input and signal the module which then powers the motor up to provide assist. The wheel going full lock on power up suggests that one of the sensors is staying active for some reason. Perhaps something mechanical in the torque tube area?

Dan

Last edited:

Orange-in-Ky

Equipment
G2160, L225
Jun 9, 2023
Kentucky
I have a G2460 and a G2160 and both do that periodically. Anecdotally it seems to be related to the controller module and a power cycle seems to fix it. WSM might shed some light on whats actually happening and/or what the official fix is.

My general understanding of electric PS is the steering wheel shaft has torque sensors that sense operator input and signal the module which then powers the motor up to provide assist.

Dan
My guess then is that the impact has misaligned ir provided false operator input. Great information. I'll look to the WSM for the reset process. Thanks!

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
My guess then is that the impact has misaligned ir provided false operator input. Great information. I'll look to the WSM for the reset process. Thanks!
I think thats likely. More anecdotal observations. In my case the front tires on both tractors leak pretty badly and the problem crops up when one goes real low if not dead flat while I am mowing and the steering gets heavy in one direction.

Dan

lmichael

Equipment
Kubota G2160
Apr 23, 2021
Rockford IL area
The electronic PS needs to be calibrated. Both front wheels off the ground tractor level side to side. There is a plug you then disconnect then turn on the ign switch IIRC the procedure correctly. Also in the trouble shooting it indicates air pressure has to be within spec and level side to side or the PS will act weird. Mine's been working just great