Selling a home "As Is"

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
My Mother-in-Law passed a few weeks ago.

We'll have to go through surrogate court, but the real estate will be sold as is, where is....the house pretty much looks the same as I remember it 37 years ago when I started dating her daughter. It was really "dated" then...

It's a fixer-upper for sure....

I've followed this thread with interest, but I've assumed that in this context the price will be much different than average home sales, given it's condition.

The area's/neighborhood market is pretty good, which may help. If I could get within 75% of Assessed Value, I'd be happy.

Realistically, 50%+/- is the ballpark.

Last edited:

freddubois

Apr 10, 2019
Finland
Why would a guy who has deep pockets buy an old house and fix it when he can get a new or great house. Unless he needs that exact spot anyway.

motionclone

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L345DT with Lp mower, forks and grapple thumb, Bobcat 337 Midi Ex
May 4, 2018
Maine
Why would a guy who has deep pockets buy an old house and fix it when he can get a new or great house. Unless he needs that exact spot anyway.
to build equity for future
to build equity then flip for profit

shootem604

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L245DT with Kubota (Arps Model 22) FEL and Kubota B/L4520B (Woods 650) BH
Apr 23, 2018
British Columbia
The best land sometimes has some of the worst old buildings on it. Mine had a run down old butcher shop of horrors...

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
I know a couple of folks who buy such properties, fix them up nicely, live there at least 2 years, then sell. They then owe zero capital gains tax. Take the funds and do it again. You just have to like moving!! But it allows for a handsome profit.

Last edited:

Muzzy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650HSDC
Feb 13, 2019
WNY
I know a couple of folks who buy such properties, fix them up nicely, live there at least 2 years, then sell. They then own zero capital gains tax. Take the funds and do it again. You just have to like moving!! But it allows for a handsome profit.
Have some buddies do the same thing, live out of Rubber Maid Containers, build, sell, move, over & over again. Not my thing..