SCUT or CUT

erda

Equipment
LX3310HSDCC
Aug 24, 2014
Alberta, Canada
So, some background information to start: currently have a John Deere 318 with mower, rototiller, and single stage snowblower (and an older sears lawn tractor that is used only for mowing). It's getting a little long in the tooth, and I'd like to get something with a bit more capability. The property that it is being used on is a farm (160 acres), with the land and pasture being rented out. Having said that, there are still a few times when I need to go into the pasture to haul wood and/or rocks. The house is located 400 yards from the county road and has a fairly large (about 1.5 acres) yard-none of what could be called lawn in an urban sense. The lane way is "old style" with two gravelled tyre tracks and grass in the middle and on the edges. Snow in the winter is a issue as is general maintenance of the lane (put 9yds3 of road crush on it this year and still need more). Also, whatever is purchased needs to be able to fit through a regular garage door.

I've begun the looking stage, but am a bit overwhelmed by all of the "options".
I've looked at and priced out a BX2670 with fel, 60" mmm, and 50" snowblower and a B2620 equipped similarly (63" front mount snowblower). The question is is the B worth the extra money, and how would the B perform when mowing the lawn (too big, heavy, turning, damaging the lawn)?

I know that this is a Kubota forum, but I've also looked at a Kioti CS2410 with fel, 60" mmm, 50" snowblower, 4' box blade, and 4' rough cut mower as an option. I also had a brief look at JD-the salesmen were "too busy" to give me the time of day.

koja

Equipment
BX25D
May 27, 2014
Fremont Mi.
In my opinion I would go with the bx . Great size and power , would be a perfect machine for your needs . Some would say bigger is always better , but for your needs I don't believe that's true . I too went through the same decision as you earlier this year. I checked out JD , TYM , and Kubota. The other two machines were no comparison to Kubota BX25D that I ended up buying . The bx felt a lot sturdier and easier to control and more comfortable . It is honestly the best money I've ever spent , and at 0% you can't beat that . My bx has out performed and surprised me every time I use it. Heavy built , steel , not plastic , and proven reliability , Kubota all the way .

Wbk

Feb 20, 2013
St Adolphe Manitoba Canada
So, some background information to start: currently have a John Deere 318 with mower, rototiller, and single stage snowblower (and an older sears lawn tractor that is used only for mowing). It's getting a little long in the tooth, and I'd like to get something with a bit more capability. The property that it is being used on is a farm (160 acres), with the land and pasture being rented out. Having said that, there are still a few times when I need to go into the pasture to haul wood and/or rocks. The house is located 400 yards from the county road and has a fairly large (about 1.5 acres) yard-none of what could be called lawn in an urban sense. The lane way is "old style" with two gravelled tyre tracks and grass in the middle and on the edges. Snow in the winter is a issue as is general maintenance of the lane (put 9yds3 of road crush on it this year and still need more). Also, whatever is purchased needs to be able to fit through a regular garage door.

I've begun the looking stage, but am a bit overwhelmed by all of the "options".
I've looked at and priced out a BX2670 with fel, 60" mmm, and 50" snowblower and a B2620 equipped similarly (63" front mount snowblower). The question is is the B worth the extra money, and how would the B perform when mowing the lawn (too big, heavy, turning, damaging the lawn)?

I know that this is a Kubota forum, but I've also looked at a Kioti CS2410 with fel, 60" mmm, 50" snowblower, 4' box blade, and 4' rough cut mower as an option. I also had a brief look at JD-the salesmen were "too busy" to give me the time of day.
Hi, I have a bx2660 with a 54" mmm,fel,50" rear blower, 6' angle blade, it cuts about an acre of grass with steep hills and cleans a 300' very steep driveway without any problems it starts well in cold weather. If your getting a box blade I'd go for at least a 5', I personally prefer an angle blade for the driveway but that's a choice for you to make. Everything that I've used it for I'm very happy with the results. I hope this helps you with your choice.

lreops

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3400DT W/ LA463 FEL and L235DT W/ BF400 Loader
Dec 26, 2011
Rising Sun, Maryland

By the way you mention the situation and if budget could handle it, I'd be looking at the "L" series.

Ron

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
For what you want to d cut grass push/blow snow and just general use around the home I would opt for the BX,,just MHO,,, The B will give you a little more ground clearance and a little more weight, because it is a little bigger tractor. With that being said, I cut 5 acres 60 inch MMM, push snow, drag a rear blade for drive way repair, and drag wood out of my wood lot as well, and nothing around here is of golf course quality, the rough is nicer than the yard,,lol You just have to remember these are small tractors ( B and BX) and have limitations!
Either way you go with these beasties your going to find out you will run out of traction long before you run out of power. The motor and power train is the same in both models

Highspeed

Equipment
B-series
Jan 27, 2014
mid-Michigan
I would go with the B, as you mentioned woods and live in snow country. The higher ground clearance is very valuable when you start driving in deep snow or bouncing around the woods. But be sure to consider your physical abilities too though....in 5 or 10 years are you going to want to climb up onto a B, or would the lower BX be a better fit? Either version will fit your needs. An L would be great too, assuming you can deal with an even bigger tractor and price tag.

The B will not harm your lawn at all. Even with ag tires (a friend has them on his B). I have turf tires, and no traction problems with snow or off road use.

A 'regular garage door' could be 7 or 8 feet tall. I believe a B will need the ROPS folded to fit under a 7' door. I suspect a BX will fit without trouble, but maybe a BX owner can comment on that.

Last edited:

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
I would go with the B, as you mentioned woods and live in snow country. The higher ground clearance is very valuable when you start driving in deep snow or bouncing around the woods. But be sure to consider your physical abilities too though....in 5 or 10 years are you going to want to climb up onto a B, or would the lower BX be a better fit? Either version will fit your needs. An L would be great too, assuming you can deal with an even bigger tractor and price tag.

The B will not harm your lawn at all. Even with ag tires (a friend has them on his B). I have turf tires, and no traction problems with snow or off road use.

A 'regular garage door' could be 7 or 8 feet tall. I believe a B will need the ROPS folded to fit under a 7' door. I suspect a BX will fit without trouble, but maybe a BX owner can comment on that.
This is a tough call, I went and drove my BIL B series and it was the shyte .......... B29XX I think with bucket and hoe, great machine....loved it...

went to the Kubota dealership and the price was a good bit more, and as he said, I sell 10 Bx's to ONE B series ........(with hoe and bucket)

I went with the BX with 60 MMM...........I have no regrets at all, it was less than 20k (before tax and ins) and I am happy with those payments too.

it does things a little slower, but IT GETS THEM DONE!!!!

and as far as the ROPS - it will not go under a standard garage door without being folded......I know this sound like I am lazy, ok hell I AM - I am building a shed and will have a ROLL up door .....somewhere I think that the BX has a height of 7' 4" ish........and that 4" is the pita part..........most garage doors are 7'-0"...........

which ever one you chose - you will be happy !!!!!!!! :D

TripleR

Equipment
BX2200, BX2660, L5740 HSTC, M8540HDC and some other tractors and equipment
Sep 16, 2011
SE Missouri
Yes, either a BX or B Series will do the job, we own two Kubota SCUTS, but we also have several other tractors when the BX ground clearance etc. is a problem, if we didn't, I would have gone with a B Series, preferably the ones with position control 3PH etc.