School me, please!

wvshooter

Dec 11, 2012
WV
OK, all. It's been a while but I am here again. I love my old Ingersoll garden tractor, but it's a bit small for me these days. I also love my grey L1500DT. With that in mind, I am keeping an eye out for a b5100/6100/7100 or relatives to do my mowing with. What do I need to know and are they the best candidates for the job?

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
OK, all. It's been a while but I am here again. I love my old Ingersoll garden tractor, but it's a bit small for me these days. I also love my grey L1500DT. With that in mind, I am keeping an eye out for a b5100/6100/7100 or relatives to do my mowing with. What do I need to know and are they the best candidates for the job?
Is all that you wish to do is mow? acres? lots of trees? need a bucket?
Tell us everything you need to do, rather wish to do! :D

wvshooter

Dec 11, 2012
WV
Fair enough. Mowing would be this machine's primary job, with anywhere from 2 to 4 acres. My L1500DT has a bucket and is typically the primary snow/material mover. I would be perfectly happy if it could adequately run a post hole digger or bush hog off the back, but not necessary. I want something that is stable on hills, repairable and easy to use (wife mows sometimes). 48-54" deck is about right, since there are plenty of trees. It could see some garden plowing, but again, the bigger one could handle that, too. I do like the idea of eventually having a snowblower, though.

Last edited:

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Fair enough. Mowing would be this machine's primary job, with anywhere from 2 to 4 acres. My L1500DT has a bucket and is typically the primary snow/material mover. I would be perfectly happy if it could adequately run a post hole digger or bush hog off the back, but not necessary. I want something that is stable on hills, repairable and easy to use (wife mows sometimes). 48-54" deck is about right, since there are plenty of trees. It could see some garden plowing, but again, the bigger one could handle that, too. I do like the idea of eventually having a snowblower, though.

Sounds like you need MORE than a riding mower, but probably not a large B series tractor.......

you want a 3 point hitch too.............

If you are watching you $$$$$ , would the BX1870 (approx -$11,687) would do you.....
here is it's advantages :
low to the ground, get the rears filled and you are as low as possible and the wife should feel good !
Cheapest of the the SCUT's , now ifn you need more power 2370 ($13,666).....and even more 2670......($15,743)

But if you are going to cut grass 90% of time....

I would go with the BX2370.......expensive for a grass cutter, but it should last a long time, diesel, and you get 60" cut, and can have 3 point anytime......and loader if you ever need to install.

Just my 2 cents

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Shooter,,, I have the BX 2360 same as the 70 just a couple years older,, get a push blade while your at it,, that will save you tons of time plowing snow too, Also the BX platform is very maneuverable while you cant do a some of things a B series will I have been very impressed with mine. If you recall the big snow we had about 5 years ago, that old gal pushed snow that was 3 feet deep along my ridge and never grunted. The 60inche deck is pretty tuff to beat, mine goes through black berry and wild rose and just keeps coming back for more, slow and easy is the key. I mow about 5 acres.
Just MHO for what your going to do ya might want to take a hard look at the BX platforms

gpreuss

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200DT w/FEL, K650 Backhoe, 5' Rotary, 40" Howard Rotavator, 6' Rhino blade
Oct 9, 2011
Spokane, WA
You have the 1500 for real work - the GR2120 is a heck of a mower... And it will run a snow blower!

wvshooter

Dec 11, 2012
WV
OK, good suggestions, but I'm cheap. That's one of the reasons I am looking at older B's. So really, what do I need to look for in them and are there any models to steer away from? My uncle has a 6100 2 wheel drive, gear tranny. I have always loved that thing so that's where some of the interest has come from.

Also, what's the E on the end of the model number I sometimes see?

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
OK, good suggestions, but I'm cheap. That's one of the reasons I am looking at older B's. So really, what do I need to look for in them and are there any models to steer away from? My uncle has a 6100 2 wheel drive, gear tranny. I have always loved that thing so that's where some of the interest has come from.

Also, what's the E on the end of the model number I sometimes see?
Check this page out :

http://www.orangetractortalks.com/2011/02/kubota-model-variants-explained/

As you see - the big E makes it a 2 wheel drive model ..........

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Good luck there shooter,, up in this end of the coal country a used B is hard to find and a used BX even harder, people seem to hang on to those them. There are some on line used tractor dealers and some tractors have low hours but your going to pay darn near as much for a used on as a new one,, kinda like buying a use HD.. I don't think you would ever go wrong with the hydro in either series but to each his own,,
lotsa luck in your search buddy :D