Sawmilling

Magicman

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4900 Utility Special 4WD e/w FEL & 1530 John Deere "Traveling Man"
Oct 8, 2019
Brookhaven, MS
knotholesawmill.com
I likely will never use a metal roof, so I don't really care, other than intellectual curiosity.
I realize that other OTT members as well as guest read these replies so I need to accurately respond. No the wood does not split but rather compresses around the fastener, whatever it is, and tightens the contact.

Customers regularly have me saw the framing lumber for a building first and then after the rafters are in place, I will go back and saw the roof lathing so that it will be as green as possible before the roofing is installed. This technique is nothing new as it has been well know to builders for hundreds and and even thousands of years when wooden pegs were used. Even today when timber frame structures are built, the timbers are always mortise and tenoned and raised with green wood and the wooden pegs are as dry as possible.

My remark about the dryness of "kiln dried" was only to point out that saying lumber is kiln dried is not a real description in itself because different levels of drying is used for different applications. Framing (18%) vs cabinet (6-8%) for example.

Last edited:

Magicman

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Oct 8, 2019
Brookhaven, MS
knotholesawmill.com
I started my 20th year sawmilling today
IMG_1601.JPG

With this 30" X 20' Pine log which yielded 23 ea. 2X8's and 3 ea. 2X4's.
IMG_1599.JPG

My customer was pleased with this 2149 board feet of framing lumber consisting of 2X4's, 2X6's, & 2X8's.

Reactions: 1 user

Magicman

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Oct 8, 2019
Brookhaven, MS
knotholesawmill.com
I have sorta neglected this topic but I have been sawing virtually full time:
IMG_1947.JPG

This is part of a framing lumber job. There are 8 stacks.
IMG_1861.JPG

Here is a whole house being built with my sawn lumber, framing lumber as well as the siding.
IMG_2054.JPG

One day's sawing of 2X6's & 2X4's.
IMG_2106.JPG

This a portion of the 40 logs that are waiting on me at my next job. Well after I finish the one that I am presently sawing.
IMG_2099.JPG

My new shirts.

• Love
Reactions: 1 users