Saving a leaning tree??

Benhameen

Equipment
2012 Kubota L3800 HST W/FEL and 1963 JD 2010 row crop utility
Jan 27, 2013
Southern IL.
I haven't been posting much here lately but I'm on a roll today.

Anyway my special lady friend has a row of 20-25ft tall cedar trees that are much needed for a wind break and soon will be needed for a bit of a sound barrier as well. There is a new highway about to opened a couple hundred feet from the tree line.

So here is my question, on of them is leaning very badly, due to the ground being very saturated and a few days of high winds. Is there any hope of straightening that baby up? I was thinking about tying a rope or cable up high in the tree then attaching a large ratchet strap to the other trees and trying to get it straightened back up a little. Any chance at all that would work? if not what other option might there be?

Thanks

Ben

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
The really wide 10K ratchet straps work really well for that, I use 2 of them and alternate till it's real tight then just leave the one, then every few days or weeks go out and tighten it up.

Benhameen

Equipment
Jan 27, 2013
Southern IL.
Great thanks wolf man, that's what I'll do. I have a wide ratchet strap not sure on the strength of it but I believe it's either 2" or 3" wide. I assume it will work, thanks again.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
I'd suggest tying on to the leaning tree 1/2 to 5/8 up from the ground. The mass of the weight is below that point.

If the ground is saturated enough to let one tree lean, you might be pulling the other trees over to a degree, because they are in the same soil area. May be better to drive a T post or two, or some other anchor.

bearskinner

Equipment
BX25D, snowblower, PHD, Grapple, Snow blade, land Plane
Sep 1, 2014
N. Idaho
I've had to tie up a bunch of trees this year. I cut pieces of wood ( I had a bunch of stickers and pickets on hand) about 8" long and use them as protection on the back side of the trees, so the rope I hold them in place with won't dig into the bark and damage the tree. I use the Kubota to pull them up, then tie them off up high, to the base of solid trees. So far so good. I've gotten about 15 stood up and looking healthy

bcbull378

Equipment
GL3830,fel,brush hog,pallet forks,disc,gannon,auger,springtooth,plow,drag,ripper
Sep 6, 2011
Ventura Ca
Sounds like your on the right track I'd jack it back to plumb and leave the strap on there till the soil has had a chance to dry out . Good luck.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
I have to ask is it leaning or has the roots lifted up on one side?? if she is on a hill side I would suggest digging very carefully as not to muck up the roots,on the up hill side or onthe side you wish it to be pulled. Then, depending on the size of the tree attach a 8x2x4 on the side you will be pulling against strap it in place against the tree trunk. Then use a come along to SLOWLY pull it back maybe 3 or 4 inches to day wait a couple days then 3 or 4. And make sure you dont wrap cables or ropes arounf the tree when your pulling it back so you dont injur the bark. Making sure the side you dug out is covered with burlap to keep any exposed roots damp so they dont dry out. And keep dirt from filling back into the hole you dug. It might take a couple weeks to get it back up but DONT force her, or your might wind up with a crack in the trunk under the bark,,not a good thing.. And when she is up right, put the dirt back tanp it down give her a shot of water and make sure you stake it in place so it wont lean back over remember the ground is not tight around the roots yet,,, And she should be good as new

Benhameen

Equipment
Jan 27, 2013
Southern IL.
Thanks for all of the replies guys, I think ill be getting started on it today. Ill post a few pics to show the progress.