Sapling Puller

seanbarr

Equipment
B7100DT (sold) - Branson 3520H
Feb 1, 2013
Deer Park, WA
I probably won't post any diagrams as I intend to market this in the near future.
More power to you since you got it figured out and I wouldn't have to! It would be even better if you could market this as I'd definitely be interested buying one from you as I could really use this tool!

seanbarr

Equipment
Feb 1, 2013
Deer Park, WA
I should add... I didn't see the video closely that you are in the prototype stages on the website. Neverless, still interested. You do good work!

seanbarr

Equipment
Feb 1, 2013
Deer Park, WA
Would it happen to have some sort of guard? I thought it may be handy to keep branches away from the front end of the tractor. Other than that, it'd be hard to see how you could make it any better!

magicheater

Equipment
B26, B7800, Auto Tach-N-Go
Would it happen to have some sort of guard? I thought it may be handy to keep branches away from the front end of the tractor. Other than that, it'd be hard to see how you could make it any better!
Thanx, No guard in the equation so far and after all the prototype testing it seems it may not be needed. Visibility is the key and in the end it is not a root grapple per say but can really extricate them w/o engaging directly. More of a trunk based extraction method, if you will. No cutting, just extraction, size dependent on tractor weight/HP/loader lift of course.

magicheater

Equipment
I have thought a lot about your guard suggestion and will probably add one. I am trying to keep the weight down and 110 lbs. is my target weight. Thank you for the suggestion.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
magicheater,
If your going to attach a light logging crane grapple on a quick attach plate why don't you do it where it will handle more than a 1" round sapling (better stronger teeth) and put a rotovator on it so you can turn the saplings and small trees side ways to load or stack them, and that would also give you the ability to load an unload logs off a truck, trailer, or pile.
There is already a design out there that can handle very large trees, it called a Feller Buncher, just alter that design and down size it like you have with the logging grapple.

Gundoctor

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota M7040 4x4/ BX2230 4x4/ JD MX 8/ Ford 101 Moldboard 3 bottom Plows -
I will tune in on this one. Eric's link to the Gemplers site is the way to go for me. They work great. I think Northern Tool may carry them also??

David Pidgeon
New Haven, Vermont

magicheater

Equipment
magicheater,
If your going to attach a light logging crane grapple on a quick attach plate why don't you do it where it will handle more than a 1" round sapling (better stronger teeth) and put a rotovator on it so you can turn the saplings and small trees side ways to load or stack them, and that would also give you the ability to load an unload logs off a truck, trailer, or pile.
There is already a design out there that can handle very large trees, it called a Feller Buncher, just alter that design and down size it like you have with the logging grapple.
Super great idea NIW. The grapple handles more than 1" saplings though, have pulled up to 4" depending on species. It would be great to have all the turning capabilities but you can only miniaturize hydraulics down to a point and then the more functions you add usually adds weight and offset. This grapple is meant for small tractors of the B7800 size and down. Use on a larger tractor would require beefier components. For what it's capabilities are I am more than pleased with the results. Remember this only weighs 100 lbs. It handles logs, both pulling out from a pile and placing them. When the battery gets here for my video cam I will shoot some more footage and post. I appreciate your ideas.

magicheater

Equipment
I will tune in on this one. Eric's link to the Gemplers site is the way to go for me. They work great. I think Northern Tool may carry them also??

David Pidgeon
New Haven, Vermont
I used to do it that way too, but you are really using the pulling power of your loader rather than the ground engagement of the wheels. By gripping really low and using your tractors 4wd and weight, rocking back and forth with the HST it is very effective. No need to get off the tractor and/or have a second person. Everyone has a favorite method I guess, this has just become mine.