Same Container / less product

Biker1mike

Equipment
B6200, Kubota 2030 Front Blade, King Cutter 60" finishing deck
Jan 11, 2022
Gallatin, NY USA
We have all seen how many products now have less product in the same old container. ie: 14 ounces of coffee in a can that use to hold a pound.
It finally hit home. Wife made a batch of her fantastic hot pickled eggs. I told her how happy the son-in-law will be when he gets his dozen. She then confessed that she only cooked 18 eggs and we were each getting just 9.
Some how I feel ripped off !

Reactions: 1 user

mcfarmall

Equipment
Kubota M5660SUHD, Farmall C
Sep 11, 2013
Kalamazoo, MI
Shrinkflation...getting less product for mo' money. This is only transitory...will be over soon. And if your unhappy with the price of gasoline you need to buy a $50,000 electric vehicle.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users

William1

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX25D
Jul 28, 2015
Richmond, Virginia
Seen it all my life. Packages get smaller until the 'new and improved giant size' comes out, which ends up being the same size it was a year previously but twice the price. Though I tell my wife, one size fits all.

Orangeglow

Equipment
2015 BX2370
Jun 19, 2014
Prescott, Ontario
We up here in Canada having been getting $crewed royally since our country decided to switch to metric. All the quantities got down-sized, but the prices either stayed the same, or went higher.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
real eye opener recently, seeing an old Canadian GALLON paint can next to the 3.78 Litre( American gallon)

ONLY thing that got bigger were 2# bags of sugar... they're now 2Kg, so 10% larger.....price is MORE than 10% higher though.....

I'm old enough to remeber that soda pop was in 10oz cans then one day 'magically' became 12 oz ! wow BIG cans......

DustyRusty

Equipment
BX23S
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
real eye opener recently, seeing an old Canadian GALLON paint can next to the 3.78 Litre( American gallon)

ONLY thing that got bigger were 2# bags of sugar... they're now 2Kg, so 10% larger.....price is MORE than 10% higher though.....

I'm old enough to remeber that soda pop was in 10oz cans then one day 'magically' became 12 oz ! wow BIG cans......
I am so old that I can remember when you could only get a soda pop in a glass bottle!
I even remember when there were soda fountains, and the soda "jerk" behind the counter would custom make the soda any way you wanted. Those were the days when they hand-packed a quart of ice cream to be taken home with you. I can remember when Henry Ford shut down the Model T production to change over the tooling to start making the Model A. The most dramatic thing that I remember is old Abe inviting me to go to the theater with him in the afternoon before he was assassinated later that evening in the theater. Just don't ask me what I had for breakfast, since I just don't remember. Memories are wonderful things to hold onto...........

58Ford

Equipment
BX23s, LA340, BT603, RCR1248, PFL1242, STB1072
Jan 1, 2022
SW Washington
Last time I checked I was still getting a dozen eggs in my dozen package!

DustyRusty

Equipment
BX23S
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
Last time I checked I was still getting a dozen eggs in my dozen package!
However, the chickens are now laying smaller eggs. They want more feed if the farmer expects them to lay bigger eggs. It is more uncompensated work effort to push out a larger egg than a smaller egg.

Biker1mike

Equipment
Jan 11, 2022
Gallatin, NY USA
A new bagel shop uses the old fashion baker's dozen. Wonder how long that will last.

DustyRusty

Equipment
BX23S
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
Do they make the bagels the old-fashioned way or do they come in frozen and baked them? I remember as a very young kid going to the bagel factory with my father and asking to see how they were made. They would roll the dough on a slab and then join the ends. Then they tossed them into boiling water until they were cooked. Took them out of the boiling water with what looked like a shovel with screening in the center, dumped them onto large pans, and would sprinkle whatever toppings were going onto them, and then into the oven to bake. The pot of boiling water was about 4' in diameter. I do remember that there were a lot of bakers working in that kitchen. I went back there when I was much older, and nothing had changed, except for the bakers. They would start baking in the early evening, and by 10 AM the bakery didn't have a bagel left. This bagel factory-supplied bagels for about a 50-mile radius in Northern New Jersey. Seeing all the delivery trucks carrying bagels out of the factory, I would guess that they probably produced more than a 1000 dozen or more every day.

Biker1mike

Equipment
Jan 11, 2022
Gallatin, NY USA
Do they make the bagels the old-fashioned way or do they come in frozen and baked them?
Yup, real bagels cooked in water then baked off. And they are big, gentle crust on the outside and butter soft inside. At 20 bucks a dozen they are more a treat than a daily eat.

Biker1mike

Equipment
Jan 11, 2022
Gallatin, NY USA
One thing I like about inflation is that it gives me a reason to buy things today that I want, instead of waiting.
Isn't one of the actions to slow inflation to slow consumer spending. Like adding higher bank rates.
Indirectly, you are adding to the inflation problem. Ya just can not win !

ejb11235

Equipment
BX23S, Braber BBR4G 4' Box Blade & LRM5G 5' landscape rake
Jan 20, 2022
Seattle, WA, USA
Isn't one of the actions to slow inflation to slow consumer spending. Like adding higher bank rates.
Indirectly, you are adding to the inflation problem. Ya just can not win !
There's a term for this ... it's called the "inflationary spiral". So yes, to the extent that accelerate purchases ... in other words, that I buy things today that I would have purchased in a year, I am contributing to inflation.

If enough people do that, it creates a feedback loop. The most extreme example is panic buying, in which shelves are completely cleaned off.

So here's a specific example. I just ordered a three point attachment kit for my tractor, in preparation for getting my first implement. No problem there. But as soon as I became aware that Messicks sells telescoping stabilizer bars, I ordered those too, because I figure that at some point I'm going to want them. And at that point the price will either be higher or they'll be difficult to get.

This essentially slides demand from the future into the present. And basic supply/demand curve theory indicates that the market clearing price will increase. Furhermore, that increased demand travels all the way up the supply line, putting excess demands on steel supply, CNC machining services, and powder coating and powder coating products, etc.

Now, I don't feel any personal guilt about this, because my overall personal consumption is quite small. And I don't think that making an extra $200 purchase, which is about the extent it, is going to affect the US economy.

Biker1mike

Equipment
Jan 11, 2022
Gallatin, NY USA
There's a term for this ... it's called the "inflationary spiral". So yes, to the extent that accelerate purchases ... in other words, that I buy things today that I would have purchased in a year, I am contributing to inflation.
Oh my word ! We went from pickled eggs to a lecture in economics. This is like happy hour in Morrisville, NY, home of the SUNY Agriculture , Business , and Tech college.

ejb11235

Equipment
BX23S, Braber BBR4G 4' Box Blade & LRM5G 5' landscape rake
Jan 20, 2022
Seattle, WA, USA
Oh my word ! We went from pickled eggs to a lecture in economics. This is like happy hour in Morrisville, NY, home of the SUNY Agriculture , Business , and Tech college.
Heh heh, I make financial and clinical outcomes models for the pharmaceutical industry. But trying to plot a path that might lead towards doing side jobs with my tractor, starting with doing driveway work. I made my first money with my tractor a few weeks ago ... $200 for 2 hours, plus a $25 tip! It made my day. Variety is the spice of life.