Safety of zero turn mowers

NHSleddog

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650
Dec 19, 2019
Southern, NH
When I was a kid (8 or 9) there was a loop road being put in behind my parents property. Being curious, I went down to check it out.

A single D9 was back there cutting in the road, so I took up a rock and watched. As he moved along I followed along with him. When he broke for lunch, I would go home an do the same.

After a couple days watching he stopped the dozer and asked me if I planned on watching him all day again, I said yes. So he asked me if I could hold on for a ride and said YES!!!!!!!

I spent the day on the dozer and went home ecstatic. The next day as soon as I got there, he stopped the machine and I jumped back on. He had a pair of ear muffs for me to wear, a cushion to sit on and he went back to work.

At lunch that day he had an extra sandwich for me that his wife had made and we sat and talked. I said thanks for letting me ride with you. He said it was the easiest way to keep an eye on me. It was more dangerous to be near the machine than it was on it.

I spent just about the entire summer on that machine. 1.2 miles cut in. His wife stopped for lunch on some days and she was the nicest lady. They did not have children and she spoiled me.

It all came to an end when we got stuck digging in a pond at the end of the job. I had to go back to school. I was not there when it finally came out but I saw the 6 machines they used to do it.

I will never forget that summer. It is probably why I bought a tractor at 18 years old with no use for it.

Man, times have changed.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
I know at times a seat belt may save a life but remember it can cost a life just the same.

Less than a mile from me a couple years back had a guy mowing around a pond on zero turn. Hit some wet grass and it slid into the pond. For whatever reason he couldn't get the belt unhooked and he drowned.

All the safety devises in the world don't replace common sense.

quazz

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800 and Z411
Jan 6, 2014
Rockley, NS
When I was a kid (8 or 9) there was a loop road being put in behind my parents property. Being curious, I went down to check it out.

A single D9 was back there cutting in the road, so I took up a rock and watched. As he moved along I followed along with him. When he broke for lunch, I would go home an do the same.

After a couple days watching he stopped the dozer and asked me if I planned on watching him all day again, I said yes. So he asked me if I could hold on for a ride and said YES!!!!!!!

I spent the day on the dozer and went home ecstatic. The next day as soon as I got there, he stopped the machine and I jumped back on. He had a pair of ear muffs for me to wear, a cushion to sit on and he went back to work.

At lunch that day he had an extra sandwich for me that his wife had made and we sat and talked. I said thanks for letting me ride with you. He said it was the easiest way to keep an eye on me. It was more dangerous to be near the machine than it was on it.

I spent just about the entire summer on that machine. 1.2 miles cut in. His wife stopped for lunch on some days and she was the nicest lady. They did not have children and she spoiled me.

It all came to an end when we got stuck digging in a pond at the end of the job. I had to go back to school. I was not there when it finally came out but I saw the 6 machines they used to do it.

I will never forget that summer. It is probably why I bought a tractor at 18 years old with no use for it.

Man, times have changed.
This is such a great story!

check 6

Equipment
BX 2680 FEL and pallet forks aerator ZD1211, RTV500
Apr 8, 2019
Seguin, Texas
I have used commercial grade zero turn mowers for over twenty years and while I never use the seat belt I do always have the the ROPS up . I do use the seat belt when using the tractor on any slope ( narrower track and higher center of gravity) also my wife and kids (when they lived with us knew NEVER to approach me when operating power tools or machinery. Wait until it is turned off or for a mower get my attention when I***8217;m going straight and from a safe distance. Common sense rules I learned from my Dad and passed on. Zero turn mowers are safe as long as you understand they are powerful machine and can hurt you from inattention
By the way the age is 77 plus and I don***8217;t make mistakes I just try and minimize them

Last edited:

check 6

Equipment
BX 2680 FEL and pallet forks aerator ZD1211, RTV500
Apr 8, 2019
Seguin, Texas
I’ve tried to correct the last sentence three times and when I go to save it defaults back to that numeric garbage

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
... Common sense rules I learned from my Dad and passed on. Zero turn mowers are safe as long as you understand they are powerful machine and can hurt you from inattention....
That seems to be an oxymoron. If it's common sense ... you don’t need to be taught it...and you don’t need to teach it by “passing it on”. ;)

Point being that we all need to learn it from experienced users (and operators manuals) and we need to pass it on because few people are raised on tractors anymore and the compact tractor market is DIRECTED to the inexperienced home owner.

flyidaho

Equipment
L 3301 HST
Feb 28, 2017
IDAHO
I have told this story before, but it's worth repeating it: a 95 year old pilot friend, with 2000 hours of combat flying Corsairs off a flat top in the Pacific. Then 50 years of crop dusting. THEN 14 years of Super Cub flying on his Nevada ranch. Not a scratch in all of that....then his right arm got ripped off and thrown about 30' away. Sewed back on, but pretty useless. I asked him once about it, all he said was "tractor PTO."