Safety locks for front end loader

Dieselbob

Equipment
BX 2230, LA211 loader, 60â€￾ MMM, 2â€￾ wheel spacers, grille guard, gauges, bucket e
Nov 17, 2014
Fort Wayne IN
After going back and forth on a couple of different designs, I came up with these, which came in REALLY handy when I was working under the loader setting up my digital tachometer. I took some 1 1/4" ID galvanized pipe, ripped in lengthwise and then added nuts to bolt the two halves together and lined it with some soft rubber to protect my hydraulic cylinders. I made one for each side, and they work good and take up very little space in my tool box.

Attachments

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
After going back and forth on a couple of different designs, I came up with these, which came in REALLY handy when I was working under the loader setting up my digital tachometer. I took some 1 1/4" ID galvanized pipe, ripped in lengthwise and then added nuts to bolt the two halves together and lined it with some soft rubber to protect my hydraulic cylinders. I made one for each side, and they work good and take up very little space in my tool box.

Bob ,

outstanding work ----- now when you said RIPPED......you took a cut off wheel and cut them?:D Or did you push a circular saw with a metal cutting blade? Then again, a band saw (metal cutting) would work well!! Either way, that is a great way to protect one's self in a just in case momment!!!:D:)

Dieselbob

Equipment
BX 2230, LA211 loader, 60â€￾ MMM, 2â€￾ wheel spacers, grille guard, gauges, bucket e
Nov 17, 2014
Fort Wayne IN
I WANTED to cut them on my metal cutting bandsaw, but it would have taken quite some time to properly jig it, so I just cut them with a 4 1/2' angle grinder. You'll notice they are not perfectly straight cuts, but they fit back together as a matched set, so it's not a big deal.

ShaunBlake

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B6100D; B219; Piranha bar; Hodge stabilizers; Filled Ag rears; R322T w/48" deck
Dec 21, 2014
Sugar Hill -- next door to Buford, GA
After going back and forth on a couple of different designs, I came up with these...
Aw, DB, you so clever! I'm gonna start a collection of yer 'designs', and start adding stuff to my stash of stuff.

I WANTED to cut them on my metal cutting bandsaw, but it would have taken quite some time to properly jig it...
I'm having trouble imagining what jig you would have had to make that would take long. What make/model bandsaw do you have? And grinding them in two must have taken a *while*! (I think I'd have gotten a 32-tpi blade for my ShopSmith bandsaw if I had to make even one of those cuts!

Dieselbob

Equipment
Nov 17, 2014
Fort Wayne IN
My metal bandsaw (power hacksaw if you prefer) is the type where the saw slowly comes down onto the metal and is really only set up to crosscut. To rip the pipe legthwise, I would have had to figure a way to clamp it down to the saw table. Even then, I'm not sure the the saw throat would be anywhere near wide enough to cut a pipe that length. It took probably 7-8 minutes each to cut with the grinder.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
My metal bandsaw (power hacksaw if you prefer) is the type where the saw slowly comes down onto the metal and is really only set up to crosscut. To rip the pipe legthwise, I would have had to figure a way to clamp it down to the saw table. Even then, I'm not sure the the saw throat would be anywhere near wide enough to cut a pipe that length. It took probably 7-8 minutes each to cut with the grinder.

DB,

A portaband would do it - much like the bandsaw - guiding it straight would be the chore - the portabands offset throat would allow you to cut.....straight would be up to the operator!:D:)

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Milwaukee-Deep-Cut-Band-Saw-AC-with-Case-6232-21/203261029?N=5yc1vZc2h4

Dieselbob

Equipment
Nov 17, 2014
Fort Wayne IN
Between myself, my dad and my buddy, we have a LOT of tools, for wood, metal and everything in between, but we don't have one of those. I have never even used one. How in the heck do you cut a straight line with one of those?

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Between myself, my dad and my buddy, we have a LOT of tools, for wood, metal and everything in between, but we don't have one of those. I have never even used one. How in the heck do you cut a straight line with one of those?
doing what we are talking about is a tough job - need two sets of lines vertical to follow - great tool for cutting almost any situation, once the object no longer fits the throat - party over with!!!:)

great for cutting angle, square tubing, round stock, flat bar.....you name it !!! :)

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Must be kubota isn't supplying safety locks for the fel's any more. Dads l2250 with la400 fel came with a set that ride inside the subframe on the left side of the tractor. Never noticed them there till I seen your post. Or are these for something else?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Makes sense. We've never removed the fel, wondered if that might be a use for them. Seem kinda thin though to support for storage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk