safety gear when taking down trees

ctfjr

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800HST
Dec 7, 2009
central ct
I always thought I took a reasonable approach to the risk / reward ratio on some of my activities, like motorcycling. I was a true believer in the "if you have a $30 head then by all means buy a $30 helmet".

This spring I plan on clearing several dead trees in the woods. Some of them are monsters. After seeing a video (perhaps posted here) of someone taking down a tree and then nearly being hit by a big dead branch from a nearby tree it got me into the safety mode. In the past I was only removing live trees so dead branches weren't much of a concern - maybe it should have been even then.

So what is a good choice for headgear? I surely want something with a full face shield as I'll be doing a lot of chipping.

lynnmor

Equipment
B2601-1
May 3, 2021
Red Lion
I have cut trees for about half a century with no serious incidents..... until last summer. I left Mother Nature bring down a dangerous leaning tree only to have it hang in another. I got the brilliant idea to twist the tree 90 degrees to free it using a log jack. Well the jack broke free while I was pulling as hard as I could and I went flat on my back at full force causing a concussion. Only a motorcycle helmet would have helped, a hard hat may have been worse than nothing. In the future, I will use a motorcycle helmet when working heavy stuff.

For light duty cutting and chipping, I think that any hard hat with a screen and hearing protection should be fine.

BruceP

Equipment
G5200H
Aug 7, 2016
Richmond, Vermont, USA
My son used to be a woodcutter. He would wear climbing-spikes, and swing from a rope with running chainsaw. It would take him 20 minutes just to 'gear up' for a climb.

He used to say the MOST IMPORTANT thing was "Do not cut the rope you are hanging from" 😦

The Husqvarna saw he used was VERY powerful and had skip-tooth, carbide, chisel-tipped, woodcutters-chain. (not anti-kickback). He could rest the bar on a log, feather the throttle just above idle and it would cut 3 inches into the wood.

I believe what you are looking for is a called a "Forestry Helmet"

Also, it is a good idea to have forestry chaps. Do not forget that the most common injury is legs.

I would expect a local chainsaw/woodcutting shop would be able to set you up with chaps, headgear and other equipment.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
I always thought I took a reasonable approach to the risk / reward ratio on some of my activities, like motorcycling. I was a true believer in the "if you have a $30 head then by all means buy a $30 helmet".

This spring I plan on clearing several dead trees in the woods. Some of them are monsters. After seeing a video (perhaps posted here) of someone taking down a tree and then nearly being hit by a big dead branch from a nearby tree it got me into the safety mode. In the past I was only removing live trees so dead branches weren't much of a concern - maybe it should have been even then.

So what is a good choice for headgear? I surely want something with a full face shield as I'll be doing a lot of chipping.
The best headgear is provided by what one can do to improve what is between his ears.

A few years ago, I was taking down a dead tree that I had already put a chain (several in series, maybe 100 feet total length) on to pull with my tractor if needed. Well, it kind of seemed like it was hung up, and before finishing the final cut, I thought I better just pull it with the tractor. I did this and it came down exactly where I wanted it to fall.

BUT after going back to the base, I saw a fairly large dead branch laying on the ground EXACTLY where I was standing to finish the final cut. When I say fairly large, maybe only 4 or 5 inches in diameter. I doubt that If I had made the cut, and if that branch had fallen, my helmet/face shield/ear protection would have done much to ease the pain...

ctfjr

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800HST
Dec 7, 2009
central ct
Agreed Henro, at least the 1st sentence :)

It goes without saying that thinking through and having a safe plan is the best option. Maybe your helmet wouldn't have helped much in that case but for all the 1" and 2" branches it may have made all the difference in the world.

MapleLeafFarmer

Equipment
Lots incl. B and L kubotas
Dec 2, 2019
E.
I really really like my stihl forestry helmet combo..... and not just for the bumps on the head. Wish I started wearing many many years ago.

With built on hearing protection I find I cover my ears way more than I did when I was younger with ear plugs (wished I started using hearing protection when I was younger) as the hearing protection is always right there and easy to use... don't notice no hearing until its gone.

Also the mesh face screen is great in winter when I blow snow. Very efficient in keeping blowing snow off the face/eyes.... I know it looks funny wearing a forestry helmet while snow blowing but hearing protection right their and eye protection no worries of blowing snow makes the work much more enjoyable on an open cab tractor. Stops the frozen beard/eye lash problem.

So not just for head bumps but hearing protection and eye protection is a triple benefit. I wear mine while chainsawing but also when on the tractors.
1646686635846.png

Reactions: 2 users

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca
I picked up the stihl combo helmet last summer and really like it. Good ventilation in hot weather when doing a lot of chipping. Good brush protection. Good hearing protection. I won't cut or chip without it.

Any helmet has limited safety when stuff is falling on your head from a height. A buddy or someone checking up on you is a really good idea, probably your best safety gear. Top up your life insurance if you plan on working alone.

Reactions: 1 users

OntheRidge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L47 TLB, Homestead 55" grapple, LP 1684 rear blade, WR Long 84" snowplow
Nov 1, 2020
Professional arborist since 1984, strongly recommend Kask helmets. The forestry type helmets can fall off. My buddy fell 60 feet from a tree, Kask saved his life. Not cheap, but well worth it. Also Z87 rated safety glasses and chaps. Also keep in mind all helmets have an expiration date. Be safe!

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
Professional arborist since 1984, strongly recommend Kask helmets. The forestry type helmets can fall off. My buddy fell 60 feet from a tree, Kask saved his life. Not cheap, but well worth it. Also Z87 rated safety glasses and chaps. Also keep in mind all helmets have an expiration date. Be safe!
I am glad your friend survived. BUT if he fell 60 feet, I think it was good luck and not a helmet that saved him...

Just being realistic I think...a 60 foot drop is pretty severe. I guess it depends on what you land on though...

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Arborist helmets are really good if your climbing a tree. but if your on the ground, a forestry helmet is a better choice. ;)

fruitcakesa

Equipment
M 6040
Oct 26, 2010
Cavendish Vermont
For years I have been wearing helmet w/screen and earphones and also safety glasses, chaps and boots when doing woods work and am mightily glad I did.
One time I cut a 24" diam pine that was cheek by jowl to an equally large pine. After finishing the back cut, I stepped back and put my back against the neighbor tree to watch the results of my falling.
As the tree began its descent, it dislodged a limb from the neighbor tree that fell straight down and slammed into my helmet knocking it from my head and breaking my glasses. I luckily only received a small cut on my forehead. Without the helmet I don't want to think of what might have happened.

JimmyJazz

Equipment
B2601
Aug 8, 2020
Pittsburgh, Pa
I also have the Stihl helmet that incorporates a face shield and ear coverings. Its comfortable and is well designed. If you are cutting a big tree near a valuable structure have a licensed and insured tree service make the cuts to bring it down, possibly secured by cable . A couple hundred bucks well spent. You do the rest. I like to ask myself what can go wrong. The answer is plenty. Good luck.

Last edited:

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
I love the motorcycle reference…everything I ever learned about physics and management means learn to respect the mass of the ass…also applies to wrestling and basketball. Do you know what is wrong with 4 wheels? They lean the wrong way. 😂. Lots of options for safety…logging shows usually have safety seminars. Your state forester can likely help also. That’s normally free. Step one for me is to size up the job and be reasonable? Am I capable and is it necessary. Things can go bad quicker than you can react cutting trees. It is very dangerous work. If you have ash trees / borers be very weary. In terms of helmets, I think what others have mentioned are great, if you plan to have help or a watchful eye at a distance a helmet with a headset/radio can allow a spotter to give you instruction or warning. Something to think about. Personally I think learning and having the confidence to stop and re assess is a good idea. Learning the proper use of wedges really helps…they don’t with widow maker branches…but that is the judge the risk aspect before you start. A simple class can really help with techniques to minimize the risk…but pros can be helpful too. Paying a pro is better than paying a doctor or undertaker. Be careful.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Had Stihl cutters' helmet and chaps for 30 years +.

Any PPE is great if you use it.....

Had times I didn't, and put myself in danger.

OntheRidge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L47 TLB, Homestead 55" grapple, LP 1684 rear blade, WR Long 84" snowplow
Nov 1, 2020
Face protection, ear protection, and a higher rating on hits to the helmet.
Helmets are also available with hearing protection and face protection, which is NOT eye protection. They also have a way better suspension system. Not trying to argue, but I would like to see what data you are basing that claim on. Again, 35+ years in the business, CTSP( Certified treecare safety professional), helmets have been the norm for many years now, for good reason. But, I suppose any protection is better than none.

PoTreeBoy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L35 Ford 3930
Mar 24, 2020
WestTn/NoMs
Even professional timber cutters don't want to fool with dead trees. They're out to get you.
If there is any rot, they are unpredictable. I cut one in my back yard. As it fell, the top hit a limb in an adjacent tree. It was weak enough that it broke in the middle. The top jack-knifed and fell right on the stump. Good thing I had backed away when it started to fall.
Another time I was cutting a hollow tree. I cut the notch OK, but some of the hinge wood was soft/rotten and let go when the tree started to fall. It ended up about 30° off target and hit my fence:mad:.
Think ahead, stay fresh, and have aid available.