Safe to leave in 4x4 mode?

Rezzey

Equipment
B1600dt
Oct 11, 2015
Melbourne, Victoria
Hi guys just a quicky

I have a b1600dt with Fel on and some kind of attachment on at all times.

My landscape is not too hilly, nice hard ground, but slightly dippy here and there. Ive constantly left it 4x4 mode coz i feel it steers easier. i could certainly drive without it if its doing it damage being engaged all the time but im unsure if its ok to or not.

Any advice?

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Yes it's fine as long as your not running on concrete / asphalt / paving stone. ;)

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
What NIW said -

4WD drive really will not hurt anything if allowed to slip on the grass-dirt-snow or even gravel. Hard surfaces is where the drivetrain takes a beating.

Diydave

Equipment
L2202 tractor, L185f tractor
Oct 31, 2013
Gambrills, MD USA
Always a good idea, to shift it out, every once in a while, so the lever doesn't get stuck in the on position, from years of being there...:D

GEPM64

Equipment
B2601 with FEL, Box Scraper, rotary mower, 3pt snowblower and Sovema Tiller
Sep 15, 2014
Hazelridge, Manitoba, Canada
I leave my BX in 4x4 all the time. Thing is the closest pavement other than my garage is 3 miles away. I wouldn't worry about it.

Glenn

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
One benefit of being in 4wd is that you now have brakes on all four wheels.
A time when this becomes important would go like this. You have a full fel bucket, you are driving down a muddy slippery ramp to the bottom of an excavation. You are in 2wd. You hit the brakes and the rear tires, which have little load on them because the fel is lifting the rear of the tractor plus the downward slope is also reducing the load on the rear tires which lock up and do little to slow you down.
With 4wd the drive line passes the braking force from the rear brakes to the heavily loaded front tires and you can stop on the slope.

Having repaired a number of front axles of 4wd systems I dont use this feature unless I am going to need it. The front axles just are not built as strongly as they should be. For example, most owner's manuals advise against tire chains on the front because of the added strain they place on the front drive system.

Dave M7040

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
Heavy loads, uneven terrain or soft ground. Loader work. Only situations for 4wd.
If job can be done in 2wd go with it , its easier on driveline.

Grouse Feathers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2370, FEL, Snowblower-BX5455, Homebuilt Forks, LP RB1560, LP GS1548
Feb 16, 2015
Lovells, Mi
Having repaired a number of front axles of 4wd systems I dont use this feature unless I am going to need it. The front axles just are not built as strongly as they should be. For example, most owner's manuals advise against tire chains on the front because of the added strain they place on the front drive system.

Dave M7040
Dave
I agree on my BX I can feel the binding in the drive train when I make turns in 4wd on almost any surface. I only use 4wd when I need 4wd. I don't worry about it if I forget to take it out of 4wd, because the first turn will remind me. This doesn't mean I am constantly taking it in and out. Blowing and plowing snow takes 4wd so it stays in 4wd until I am ready to back into the garage. Grading the driveway usually takes 4wd, but traveling to and from the grading is 2wd.