S2600A glow plugs - HELP Vic!

Kubota Newbie

Equipment
M4500, New Idea Cut-Ditioner, JD 14T Baler, IH "Plow Chief" plows, Oliver Rake
Dec 28, 2010
Mount Vernon, Ohio
Ok, Vic, if you're out there I need some advice on this one. Is there a trick to changing the front glow plug in an M4500 w/ the S2600 6 cyl. ? There is no way I can see to reach it without taking off the third injector line from the pump, even then, you can't get a wrench on it and it looks too close to the intake manifold flange to get a socket on. Special tool????
BTW, the back 5 were no problem and the indicator is glowing red inside of 20 seconds on a 20 degree day now. BUT, I still have one heater still in its box in the garage. Feel like I ought to change them all.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I have run into this and have a thin walled socket set for just such locations.
You could get a cheap deep socket and just grind it down to make it work. ;)

I even have one socket that is only 3/4 of the socket to fit up against walls.

Kubota Newbie

Equipment
M4500, New Idea Cut-Ditioner, JD 14T Baler, IH "Plow Chief" plows, Oliver Rake
Dec 28, 2010
Mount Vernon, Ohio
I thought about that 'cause I've done the same before too. Problem is that the point on the hex of the glow plug pretty much touches the manifold flange where the socket would have to be. It'd be so thin I don't think it would have enough meat to break it loose. I don't think... check that... I know, I can't get an open-end wrench on it without removing the injector pump (there is no access to it from above because it is shrouded by the flange). The others had room to slip a wrench on them to break them loose (a socket wasn't convenient 'cause of all the other things in the way (mostly the steel power steering lines), once loose they threaded right out. Suppose if I could get the dremel down in there I could relieve the manifold flange enough for room for the socket, would have to take at least two, maybe three injector lines off to do that though too.

Last edited:

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Is it hitting or too close on just one side?
Any chance you could give me a picture of yours?