RVT900 transmission noise

broncobilly_69

Equipment
2021 Grand L5460 HST, 2008 RTV900
Jun 27, 2021
Philomath, OR USA
Greetings everyone! I'm new to the site. I found it while researching transmission noise in my 2008 RVT900 and it looked like a good group to join. The issue I'm having is what sounds a bit like a rattle, not really a grinding, when traveling at higher speeds both in M and H gears. The noise stops the second I shift into 4wd and reappears when I shift out. Seems to be coming from the transmission area. The fluid level is good, the next step in the troubleshooting chart is to check the pressure, which I don't have the equipment for or really know how to do it. I was hoping someone here might be able to shed some light on this. Thank you
Nick

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
more then likely just some gear clatter which I wouldn't be concerned with. I say this because when it's in 4wd there is a slight difference between the gear ratios front and rear, with the front being slightly faster--this places a bind on the drivelines as well as the internals of the transmission that engage/disengage the 4wd. That bind will load the gears and reduce or eliminate the clatter.

could also be a universal joint or drive shaft yoke issue. I'd look at those since they were not uncommonly failed parts. The original drive shaft was 2 pieces with a carrier bearing in the middle and if one of the 3 u-joints or even the carrier were loose/worn/even tight, they'll make noise when NOT in 4wd. If you find an issue there replace the 2 piece shaft with the updated one piece and forget about the shaft's existence from that point forward, as it does not wear out. It is a permanent repair.

may also be rear wheel hubs getting loose. Check the nuts in the center of the rim (27mm as I remember?). IF they are loose, plan on replacing them at some point. Those, too, have been updated since original. The new ones are made of a different material, and are sold in a pair.

Reactions: 1 user

12251hd

Equipment
M6800, L35, RTV
Nov 23, 2018
Woodbridge, VA
Most likely u-joints on the front drive shaft. Known problem with the older RTVs. While in 2wd drive, crawl under and give them a shake. 4wd "loads" the joints and they don't rattle. Several years ago, someone came up with a local fix that worked for a while. I replaced mine a couple years ago and rattle was fixed.

Attachments

eserv

Equipment
BX24, A1000 Kubota Generator
May 27, 2009
Hardisty, Alberta
Most likely u-joints on the front drive shaft. Known problem with the older RTVs. While in 2wd drive, crawl under and give them a shake. 4wd "loads" the joints and they don't rattle. Several years ago, someone came up with a local fix that worked for a while. I replaced mine a couple years ago and rattle was fixed.
There is a kit for those from Kubota which replaces the u-joints with cv type joints. Kinda expensive but if you want a smooth quiet rig wort every penny!