RTV1140 "racing/no start" problem

seann

Equipment
B6200
Aug 30, 2010
Markdale, Ontario
Hi Folks,
Just out of storage yesterday, drove around for 1/2 hour, pulled in to park it and while creeping to a stop the engine started revving high (still in forward but not moving), turning key off made no difference. It revved away for about a minute then slowly died, wouldn't re-start. Any ideas greatly appreciated,
Thanks,
Seann

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Did you or someone else possibly have topped off the fuel tank with gasoline?

Last edited:

seann

Equipment
B6200
Aug 30, 2010
Markdale, Ontario
Suggest you read the following thread dealing with "Diesel Runaway."

https://www.orangetractortalks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45509&highlight=runaway

Dave
Thanks Dave,
Sounds somewhat similar to events in the thread, on the drive around just before the runaway while climbing a slight grade, it did sputter and lose power (never did that before), then cleared and ran fine. I cranked the engine to lift the dump box, sprayed everything down with WD40 (spring thing), and looked for problems (nothing obvious). I suspected a broken governor spring, but the lever on the throttle still has a return effect when moved manually, don't know if that discounts the governor spring or not. Strange thing now is that it won't turn over. The starter gets a "flash" of current, then stops. I've turned the engine over by hand to make sure it hasn't hydraulic/locked. Wondering if this could be some kind of control module or something now that there seems to be more than one issue. Oil level is fine, hydraulic level at half.
Seann

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Thanks Dave,
Sounds somewhat similar to events in the thread, on the drive around just before the runaway while climbing a slight grade, it did sputter and lose power (never did that before), then cleared and ran fine. I cranked the engine to lift the dump box, sprayed everything down with WD40 (spring thing), and looked for problems (nothing obvious). I suspected a broken governor spring, but the lever on the throttle still has a return effect when moved manually, don't know if that discounts the governor spring or not. Strange thing now is that it won't turn over. The starter gets a "flash" of current, then stops. I've turned the engine over by hand to make sure it hasn't hydraulic/locked. Wondering if this could be some kind of control module or something now that there seems to be more than one issue. Oil level is fine, hydraulic level at half.
Seann
Ok I think you are using the wrong / inaccurate terms for what it's doing and not doing.

It sounds like it's not cranking, way different than not starting!
Is this the case?

seann

Equipment
B6200
Aug 30, 2010
Markdale, Ontario
Ok I think you are using the wrong / inaccurate terms for what it's doing and not doing.

It sounds like it's not cranking, way different than not starting!
Is this the case?
Yesterday, it wouldn't crank...today it cranks but bleeding the side of the pump/fuel there, then opening the injector lines nothing up there.