RTV-900 doesn’t start (usually)

gcmiller

Equipment
B2910, LA402 FEL, Caroni TC-910 91" finish mower, RTV900
Mar 13, 2017
Raleigh, NC
I have a 2004 RTV-900 with a 3-cylinder diesel. When I went to use it today it would not start. The starter spun just fine and the motor turned over, but it wouldn’t start. This happened each of several attempts I made at starting it. My first guess was that it’s a fuel issue since the starter sounded strong. The tank is not empty (I have over ¼ of a tank), so I thought maybe a fuel blockage. I disconnected the fuel filter on the motor side of the filter and diesel ran from it freely, so I figured probably not a clogged filter, so maybe somewhere after the filter?

Out of curiosity I tried starting it one more time and it started right up immediately. I drove it around the driveway a bit and it ran great, so I put it back into the barn and shut it down. I waited a few seconds and then tried starting again and it would not start – the starter spins, but the motor doesn’t catch.

I went and got some other things done and came back 10 to 15 minutes later, tried again and it started right up. I shut it down and started it up 3 times in a row without any problems. Then I went to help my wife with something and when I came back an hour later I could not get it to start at all (same condition – starter spins, but the motor won’t run). Then after dinner it started up on the first try.

Any thoughts on what to look at and how to diagnosis it? The battery is only a couple of months old and the terminal connections on the battery cables are brand new, so I doubt it’s battery related. The temps were in the low 50’s today, so I wouldn’t think I have a gelling issue, plus I felt the fuel when I disconnected the line and it’s didn’t feel unusual and it had the normal red color. It is hard to say how old the fuel in the tank is since it doesn’t get used all that much (at least not for long periods of time lately) and I don’t have any fresh fuel on hand at the moment.

Thanks,
Gary

007kubotaguy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B7100DT L245DT JD 2355
Dec 23, 2012
Herald Calif.
Hello
The first thing I would check is the fuel solenoid. It is located near the injection pump. I would open the bed and have someone turn the key switch on and watch and listen. You should see the solenoid move and hear it click. If it is not pulling in with the key on the machine will not start. Sometime when they get weak and won’t pull in you can push them in by hand . You will need to replace it if this is the case.
Good luck.Lance

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Like lance said, it sounds like a fuel solenoid issue.

gcmiller

Equipment
B2910, LA402 FEL, Caroni TC-910 91" finish mower, RTV900
Mar 13, 2017
Raleigh, NC
Hello
The first thing I would check is the fuel solenoid. It is located near the injection pump. I would open the bed and have someone turn the key switch on and watch and listen. You should see the solenoid move and hear it click. If it is not pulling in with the key on the machine will not start. Sometime when they get weak and won’t pull in you can push them in by hand . You will need to replace it if this is the case.
Good luck.Lance
Like lance said, it sounds like a fuel solenoid issue.
You guys nailed it. It's the shutoff solenoid. It's not moving when I turn the key, but if I move the plunger with my fingers the machine starts right up. Should be an easy fix and not too expensive.

Thanks for the help. I love this forum.

Gary

whitetiger

Staff member

Equipment
Kubota tech..BX2370, RCK60, B7100HST, RTV900 w plow, Ford 1100 FWA
Nov 20, 2011
Kansas City, KS
Hello
Good luck.Lance
Just for clarity, the solenoid is a fuel shut-off, not a fuel turn-on solenoid. It should be extended in its natural position at all times. When the key is switched to the OFF position is when power is applied to the shutoff solenoid and it retracts for approx 7 seconds to kill the engine, then returns to the run position. Turning the key to ON should have no effect on the position of the shut-off solenoid.

007kubotaguy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B7100DT L245DT JD 2355
Dec 23, 2012
Herald Calif.
White tiger. You are correct when we are talking about Kubota. tractors. Not the case on the older Kubota RTV. The fuel solenoid is powered when the engine is running. No timmer involved.
Lance

whitetiger

Staff member

Equipment
Nov 20, 2011
Kansas City, KS
White tiger. You are correct when we are talking about Kubota. tractors. Not the case on the older Kubota RTV. The fuel solenoid is powered when the engine is running. No timmer involved.
Lance
If the fuel shutoff solenoid is external it is only powered when the key is turned off, the same as a BX tractor.

eserv

Equipment
BX24, A1000 Kubota Generator
May 27, 2009
Hardisty, Alberta
If the fuel shutoff solenoid is external it is only powered when the key is turned off, the same as a BX tractor.
Whitetiger is right on a RTV900 Actually true for most Kubota equipment running the D902 engine

Last edited:

007kubotaguy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B7100DT L245DT JD 2355
Dec 23, 2012
Herald Calif.
Ok. If this was the case then the the machine would start if the shut off system was not working correct? I cannot speak for the newer RTV but the older ones don't have timers.
Lance

whitetiger

Staff member

Equipment
Nov 20, 2011
Kansas City, KS
Ok. If this was the case then the the machine would start if the shut off system was not working correct? I cannot speak for the newer RTV but the older ones don't have timers.
Lance

It is common for a failed shut-off solenoid to retract, shutting off the fuel, but after the current is dropped, the internal spring does not return it to the RUN position which is its default position.

Timer, Key Stop for RTV900: T0070-31410
Located under electrical cover on the rear of the operator's compartment

Also, page # 333 in RTV900 WSM describes the operation of FUEL SHUT-OFF TIMER

Last edited:

eserv

Equipment
BX24, A1000 Kubota Generator
May 27, 2009
Hardisty, Alberta
Lance
next time you are around a RTV-900 listen when you shut it down! a few seconds after it stops you will hear the fuel stop solenoid release back into the run position.