RPM Troubleshooting L2800

painzgoat

Equipment
L2800
Feb 24, 2013
Cleveland, Texas
My L2800 cranks, runs and performs perfectly. It just suddenly wont build rev over 1400rpm. I have taken the fuel tank off and cleaned it and the fuel lines, put on new fuel & air filters and checked the exhaust. Their seems to be plenty of travel on the linkage... it just wont rev past 1400rpm, like if it was governing itself. It can sustain the low engine speed with no miss or sputter and does not run hot and all gauges act correct. Anyone familiar with this ? :confused:

Last edited:

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
Look at the fuel lines real good to see if any of them look wet. Some times they can be wet (leaking fuel) but not drip and then in turn can suck air which won't let it run right.

Another thought if yours has the small round knob on the injector pump used to prime the fuel system make sure it's closed. I've heard it if this is left open the engine will run bad.

painzgoat

Equipment
L2800
Feb 24, 2013
Cleveland, Texas
Look at the fuel lines real good to see if any of them look wet. Some times they can be wet (leaking fuel) but not drip and then in turn can suck air which won't let it run right.

Another thought if yours has the small round knob on the injector pump used to prime the fuel system make sure it's closed. I've heard it if this is left open the engine will run bad.
Thanks for the advice! unfortunately, there are no wet lines and cannot find any leaks. It runs purrrr-fectly, as smooth running and starting as it did brand new.... no smoke, sputter, nothing abnormal for hours on end..... it just wont rev past 1400 rpm, it was just like I set the throttle at that speed and never pulled the throttle lever down any more or pushed the pedal ... it truly has me stumped, but I feel iif I take it to the shop, it wil cost major $$ and it end up being something simple.

Stumpy

Equipment
L175
Dec 1, 2011
NE Ohio
I agree with Birddogger, that would make sense for what you're describing. I believe you oughta be able to inspect both springs if you remove the throttle lever plate or the engine stop plate. Just be careful not to stretch any attached springs. Also make note of what goes where should you start taking things out, the diagrams are a little ambiguous. Both have gaskets to be prepared to scrape and replace or use instant gasket.

painzgoat

Equipment
L2800
Feb 24, 2013
Cleveland, Texas
I agree with Birddogger, that would make sense for what you're describing. I believe you oughta be able to inspect both springs if you remove the throttle lever plate or the engine stop plate. Just be careful not to stretch any attached springs. Also make note of what goes where should you start taking things out, the diagrams are a little ambiguous. Both have gaskets to be prepared to scrape and replace or use instant gasket.
Wow ! Thanks Guys ! That truly seems to be where my instincts were going. I just wasn't sure how where to check. I will take several picks as I check this out so it will re-assemble correctly. Thanks for the heads-up !

lumberjack43

Equipment
l2800
Jun 7, 2013
sedro woolley, wa
Wow ! Thanks Guys ! That truly seems to be where my instincts were going. I just wasn't sure how where to check. I will take several picks as I check this out so it will re-assemble correctly. Thanks for the heads-up !
I have the very same problem; L2800, sudden RPM slowdown to 1400 max, engine starts & runs with no miss or sputter! What did you find out?
The governor spring thing or something like that seems to make the most since? Any repair tips?