Rotating the seat on L3901

fendley

Equipment
L3901, LA525, BH77, SVL65-2
Dec 31, 2016
St Marys, GA, USA
I have a 3901 with BH77 backhoe, and the area between the BH seat and controls is really tight. Has anyone done a mod where the tractor seat can rotate 180 degrees so that I can remove the backhoe seat? I understand that this cannot be done with an operator sitting in the seat.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

yoteantidote

May 12, 2016
Argentine, Mi
I'm also interested in this, I have the same set up and I'm 6'4" with size 15 feet. I cannot keep my feet behind the foot guards while operating.
I have thought about making a bracket to raise the seat and push it back some .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bulldog777

Equipment
L3200, RTA1266, Modern 5' BB, Mustang 60 FM
Jan 25, 2017
Texas
If you could use that plate and figure out a locking mechanism, maybe utilizing a spring assisting catch in the holes already cut in the plate. That would keep the seat stabilized when operating.....just a thought.

fendley

Equipment
Dec 31, 2016
St Marys, GA, USA
Good thought - hadn't considered, but certainly do not want the seat swiveling while someone is sitting on the seat.

MattN03

Equipment
2011 B3200, LA504 FEL w/B2366 SSQA conversion, BH76 BH, EA Wicked 55
Sep 5, 2016
KY
I bought a used B3200 last fall, and its seat tilts, slides back & forth, and rotates 180* for the BH76. I still have to get off the tractor due to the operator platform being fairly small, but it probably gives more leg room when I'm on the backhoe compared to the permanent backhoe seat you have. I'm unsure if the mount is factory, but it looks like it, and was certainly a purchased item. You might check with your dealer and see if that was an option.

G.rid

Equipment
L48 tlb, ssqa forks, manual thumb for hoe
Aug 19, 2016
Oxford, NS, Canada
Just throwing some ideas out there.
If you want factory look and function, check with the dealer for a seat mount from any of the TLB models (tractor,loader,backhoe). I have a L48. The seat swivles easy, but at 6'2", I still need to stand-up to switch positions.

2 other swivel seat mounts that came to mind that already have locks are; some seats in a RV, I think usually the front passenger seat. And one more, seat mounts in a boat.

Hope this is some help

fendley

Equipment
Dec 31, 2016
St Marys, GA, USA
Just throwing some ideas out there.
If you want factory look and function, check with the dealer for a seat mount from any of the TLB models (tractor,loader,backhoe). I have a L48. The seat swivles easy, but at 6'2", I still need to stand-up to switch positions.

2 other swivel seat mounts that came to mind that already have locks are; some seats in a RV, I think usually the front passenger seat. And one more, seat mounts in a boat.

Hope this is some help
G.rid - all good ideas. Funny thing is that I have an RV, where both seats swivel, and I didn't think of that as a source. Those seats don't tilt, so you idea about the seat from L48 or similar may be the best of all. I'll check it out.

G.rid

Equipment
L48 tlb, ssqa forks, manual thumb for hoe
Aug 19, 2016
Oxford, NS, Canada
When you were looking at lazysusan bearings, I thought that you were going to mount your slides and hinge on top of the swivel. Similar to the base that you found for the L48.
If cheaper is better, I found 2 more options (swivel and lock only)

http://disabilityworktools.com/seat-swivel/

https://www.amazon.com/Wise-8WD15-L...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=FXGEF9W19XZF92R26EPK

The boat one looks like it would need adaptor plates made to match your slides bolt pattern.

Try googling "tractor swivel seat base" . There are a few other tractor sites that guys have already come up with other ideas, one home made approach, is 2 pieces of pipe that slide neatly together with a push button spring lock. He was also wanting to change height when switching to backhoe position.
There tons of options out there, it all comes down to needs, budget, and fab skills. I've seen a few projects on here that guys could make there own from scratch (if given enough time) :D

Good luck
Ps, take some pictures for the next guy that wants to do the same!

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
My brother built swivel pedestals for a car years ago. They were very robust,as mentioned a couple pieces of pipe welded onto plates.
Boat seat pedestals are flimsy at best,havent seen any that would take any abuse.

MortalWombat

Jun 5, 2013
St Jacob, IL
I don't know if this is a dumb question or not, but in the standard L series (L2501, 3301, 3901), can a passenger sit in the backhoe seat while the tractor is being driven by someone else? Or is there a safety cutoff switch or something that prevents the tractor from being driven while there is weight on the backhoe seat?

Last edited:

Yooper

Lifetime Member

Equipment
3901 LA525
May 31, 2015
NE Wisconsin
When I was building my stump grinder, I seriously considered trying to have the seat rotate. I just came to the conclusion it would be easier to mount another seat behind the OEM seat. Made a bracket that attaches to the fender supports and used a lawnmower replacement seat. I believe the seat cost about $50. Pictures for ideas if you choose to go this way.

Attachments

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Yooper, that's nice! Now you need someone to paint a slow moving vehicle sign on the front side of the back seat.:D

Yooper

Lifetime Member

Equipment
3901 LA525
May 31, 2015
NE Wisconsin
Yooper, that's nice! Now you need someone to paint a slow moving vehicle sign on the front side of the back seat.:D
I just wear a T shirt with one on it.:D

After I posted I went back and reread the OP's first post. I don't think this is the solution he's looking for. Unless raising the seat height would help. Never really got a close up look at a BH77, much less sat in the control seat.

Tarmy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2800, BH76A, FEL,box scraper
Nov 17, 2009
Lake Almanor, Ca
I did this with my L2800 and BH 76. I fabbed up the mount and bought a new seat that would fit. Bought a swivel for a tractor seat for about 150 bucks...got a slide mounted so I could get it to adjust it after the turn...and it just wasn't an easy enough process after all the swivel adjustment.

The other issue is that you need to contort your legs over the fender to get it spin. I spent 20-30 hours on it.

Ended up tearing it all out. I have some pictures of the parts I milled...I will post them if I can find them.