Rotary tiller depth

eiresurg

Apr 30, 2019
Central, MN
First time using a rotary tiller. I assume I put the 3 point down in float position and let the skids determine the depth? Can’t find any info on this anywhere. Even the manual doesn’t offer any advice.

Roadworthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2501 HST
Aug 17, 2019
Benton City, WA
That's kind of what I've always done - let the tiller find its own depth. It may not be the approved method but it worked for me.

bird dogger

Vendor Member

Equipment
Kubota B2650 and lots of other equipment
Feb 24, 2019
North Dakota
First time using a rotary tiller. I assume I put the 3 point down in float position and let the skids determine the depth? Can’t find any info on this anywhere. Even the manual doesn’t offer any advice.
That'll work. Also, most tillers have adjustable skids so you can vary that tilling depth from it's minimum to maximum tilling capacity. If yours does, you should be able to loosen a couple of bolts at the ends of the skids to adjust them. One end would be a pivot and the other should either slide up or down or may have independent adjusting holes.

david

NHSleddog

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650
Dec 19, 2019
Southern, NH
If it is conditioned soil (like in a garden) just drop it and go.

If it is in the woods doing a food plot, go down in stages slowly each pass. The surprises should not be as shocking that way.

If it is grass and you can't break it up by other means, again, go down in stages until it is diced up (many shallow passes).

Tx Jim

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040 HDC-1,JD 4255,Ford 6700
Apr 30, 2013
Coyote Flats,Texas
I'll add length of centerlink can also determine tilling depth. If skid bottoms aren't level tiller won't till as deep if the bottom of skids are level

rokhunter

Equipment
BX23S TLB
Dec 28, 2018
Baker, Florida, United States
If you're tilling something for the first time I recommend going through with a box blade with the teeth all the way down to tear out large roots, identify hidden stumps and large rocks, etc.

I've got land that was mostly wooded/brush that was cleared by a forestry mulcher, so I'm using the box blade to find & remove the stuff listed above. I took one pass with my tiller outside of the area I had hit with the box blade and found all kinds of surprises that made it buck and jump...

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Creature Meadow

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 L4600, Disk, Brush Hog, GB60 Garden Bedder, GSS72 Grading Scraper
Sep 19, 2016
Central North Carolina
If it is grass set very shallow to shave it off then you can blow off the grass or burn it once it dries if you can.