Rotary cutter options

Matt Ellerbee

Lifetime Member

Equipment
MX6000
Jun 27, 2019
Canton, Georgia
I am in the market for a cutter. Looking at bush hog 216 and 316, woods BB72.50 and Landpride 1872. Are there any others to consider?
Wanting 2-3” cut capacity, chains F&R.
This will be behind a MX6000.

BigG

Equipment
l2501, FEL, BB, Rotary cutter, rake,spreader, roller, etc. New Holland TL80 A
Sep 14, 2018
West Central,FL
I have had a Rhino for several years.

Check out the weight on these three.

Reactions: 1 user

jimh406

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501 with R4 tires
Jan 29, 2021
Western MT
I’d also consider a RCR2684 and RCR2784 because I think you can easily handle the larger size.

Matt Ellerbee

Lifetime Member

Equipment
MX6000
Jun 27, 2019
Canton, Georgia
I’d also consider a RCR2684 and RCR2784 because I think you can easily handle the larger size.
Wanting to stay in the 6’ range I think. If the tractor fits, the cutter will too type thing.

I am only mowing about 2-2.5 ac of field at the moment. Will be taking a pass into the woods each mow to take back some field. Will also be clearing the woods of smaller trees as time permits.

UpNorthMI

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200, L3901, MX5800, SVL75-2, KX040
May 12, 2020
Up North, MI
I run Woods BB72 on my MX5800, I’m very impressed and happy with it. It cuts extremely well even in very tall dense cover. I liked it so much I purchased a new model BB60 for running behind my L series. Well built, front and rear chains, slip clutch pto shafts. Easy change blade system works well. Recommend Woods.
I cut several fields and about 8 miles of woodland trails, these cutters eat smaller trees!

Matt Ellerbee

Lifetime Member

Equipment
MX6000
Jun 27, 2019
Canton, Georgia
I run Woods BB72 on my MX5800, I’m very impressed and happy with it. It cuts extremely well even in very tall dense cover. I liked it so much I purchased a new model BB60 for running behind my L series. Well built, front and rear chains, slip clutch pto shafts. Easy change blade system works well. Recommend Woods.
I cut several fields and about 8 miles of woodland trails, these cutters eat smaller trees!
Good to know! Closest dealer for woods is about 40 miles away. Dealer nearest me, whom I’ve delt with on the purchase of LX and now parts for MX is a bush hog dealer.

I need to make the trip and lay hands on the woods.

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
I am in the market for a cutter. Looking at bush hog 216 and 316, woods BB72.50 and Landpride 1872. Are there any others to consider?
I have had 4 new Woods mowers and all have performed as expected. Interestingly, 2 of 4 (50%) were delivered with at least one incorrect gearbox that was changed without charge.

I use a BB720X, HD 6' cutter with my L6060 and it's all she wants. A minimum of 4 front weights is mandatory.

I've used both chains and belt shielding. Might want to reconsider front chains as chains allow much more debris to be deposited onto the back of the tractor. I've gone back to front belt shielding.

Hard to go wrong with Woods or Bush Hog. I consider LP second tier but closing.

SDT

Matt Ellerbee

Lifetime Member

Equipment
MX6000
Jun 27, 2019
Canton, Georgia
I have sent request for quotes to Woods and Rhino. My dealer said the bush hog 215 would be $2550 and the 316 $3600. And the land pride 1872 is $2500.

Last edited:

Matt Ellerbee

Lifetime Member

Equipment
MX6000
Jun 27, 2019
Canton, Georgia
I have had 4 new Woods mowers and all have performed as expected. Interestingly, 2 of 4 (50%) were delivered with at least one incorrect gearbox that was changed without charge.

I use a BB720X, HD 6' cutter with my L6060 and it's all she wants. A minimum of 4 front weights is mandatory.

I've used both chains and belt shielding. Might want to reconsider front chains as chains allow much more debris to be deposited onto the back of the tractor. I've gone back to front belt shielding.

Hard to go wrong with Woods or Bush Hog. I consider LP second tier but closing.

SDT
Yes, I have stalked your older post, that’s what got me looking at Woods.

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25TLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
I really can't add anything to this thread given that I don't know much if anything about the Bush Hog or Woods models, and although I've been pleased with the Land Pride RCR1884 behind my MX6000 my experience is very limited. In a perfect world we'd get to demo these models under a variety of conditions and pick the best one for us but that's not how it works unless you have a large following on YouTube!

I'm surprised at the cost you were quoted for the 1872 which is a lot less than the 1884 I bought ... a lot less. Does that include front and rear chain guards? I doubt you'll be disappointed with whichever model you choose unless it doesn't do a good job of cutting, or breaks all the time, or has some other quirk. Removing and installing the blades is a pain but I'm sure that it's a pain regardless of the model. I bought a spare set of blades last week so that I can have a sharp set on hand if needed.

24.jpg

23.jpg

Last edited:

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
How does the "easy change" blade system work? Is it just an access hole in the deck or something more elaborate? Not trying to be funny but I couldn't find anything about it using Google.

I'll be cutting the field this afternoon and taking a look at my neighbor's field. We've had a lot of rain and sun so the field is green, the grass is long and in need of cutting.

Last edited:

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
How does the "easy change" blade system work? Is it just an access hole in the deck or something more elaborate? Not trying to be funny but I couldn't find anything about it using Google.

I'll be cutting the field this afternoon and taking a look at my neighbor's field. We've had a lot of rain and sun so the field is green, the grass is long and in need of cutting.
It is indeed more than a larger access cover.

Hard to describe in a chat forum but rather easy.

Despite the quick change system, I always remove the blades on a newly purchased rotary cutter, anti seize everything, and reassemble before use.

The quick change system is illustrated in printed Woods material and probably in PDF brochures. Try the Woods website.

SDT

Matt Ellerbee

Lifetime Member

Equipment
MX6000
Jun 27, 2019
Canton, Georgia
I really can't add anything to this thread given that I don't know much if anything about the Bush Hog or Woods models, and although I've been pleased with the Land Pride RCR1884 behind my MX6000 my experience is very limited. In a perfect world we'd get to demo these models under a variety of conditions and pick the best one for us but that's not how it works unless you have a large following on YouTube!

I'm surprised at the cost you were quoted for the 1872 which is a lot less than the 1884 I bought ... a lot less. Does that include front and rear chain guards? I doubt you'll be disappointed with whichever model you choose unless it doesn't do a good job of cutting, or breaks all the time, or has some other quirk. Removing and installing the blades is a pain but I'm sure that it's a pain regardless of the model. I bought a spare set of blades last week so that I can have a sharp set on hand if needed.

View attachment 61435

View attachment 61436
I don’t believe the 1872 had chains on it. They have about 4 sitting on the lot.

Can anyone learn me about stump jumpers, I know about the big plate, but after looking at rhino, they say their dog bone is far superior. Why?

Last edited:

Matt Ellerbee

Lifetime Member

Equipment
MX6000
Jun 27, 2019
Canton, Georgia
Just heard back from the Woods dealer. Most expensive so far, still waiting on Rhino dealer.
$2995 for the BB72.30 (2")
$3995 for the BB72.50 (3")

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
Just heard back from the Woods dealer. Most expensive so far, still waiting on Rhino dealer.
$2995 for the BB72.30 (2")
$3995 for the BB72.50 (3")
I paid more than $4k for the RCR1884 and it's easily the most expensive implement I have. I don't know if it's worth the cost over the models you've listed but it seems to be very well built. I've got maybe 12 hours on it now and it does a good job. I'm running it at less than 540 rpm and not really giving it much of a challenge other than the occasional rock or mound of dirt. I've learned to raise the 3-point up a little when turning around at the end of a row and might still need to raise the deck up a bit. It sure makes me wish I had a large flat, ground squirrel free and rock free field to cut.

Whichever model you end up buying, I look forward to hearing your thoughts on it and seeing what you do with it.

Matt Ellerbee

Lifetime Member

Equipment
MX6000
Jun 27, 2019
Canton, Georgia
Still no word from the rhino dealer. Must not want to sell anything.

I think I have decided on the bush hog 316 from my local dealer. He has treated me right from the get go, don’t want to mess that up.

I called the woods dealer to talk to someone, they took my number, still waiting on that return call.... I don’t think I want to give them my money, if they can’t return a call.

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
Still no word from the rhino dealer. Must not want to sell anything.

I think I have decided on the bush hog 316 from my local dealer. He has treated me right from the get go, don’t want to mess that up.

I called the woods dealer to talk to someone, they took my number, still waiting on that return call.... I don’t think I want to give them my money, if they can’t return a call.

I wonder how many people have bought a rotary cutter and then regretted their choice for the sole reason that they should have bought a different brand. They're all variations on a theme and I bet it's more likely that someone wished that they bought bigger or smaller rather than an entirely different brand.

I'm pleased with the LP I bought but I would probably have been equally pleased with a Woods, Brush Hog, Rhino or something else. My point is, it's highly unlikely that you'll regret purchasing the Brush Hog. Looking forward to hearing more about your MX and the BH combination. As you know, we have the same tractor.

I'm going to a barbecue this evening at a friend's house who has a very large field along the river in need of cutting. He wants to pay me but I told him to just pay for the fuel and take me up in his plane. He's a pilot for a very wealthy individual up here and also teaches others to fly. I'm looking forward to cutting a big, flat field.

Matt Ellerbee

Lifetime Member

Equipment
MX6000
Jun 27, 2019
Canton, Georgia
I wonder how many people have bought a rotary cutter and then regretted their choice for the sole reason that they should have bought a different brand. They're all variations on a theme and I bet it's more likely that someone wished that they bought bigger or smaller rather than an entirely different brand.

I'm pleased with the LP I bought but I would probably have been equally pleased with a Woods, Brush Hog, Rhino or something else. My point is, it's highly unlikely that you'll regret purchasing the Brush Hog. Looking forward to hearing more about your MX and the BH combination. As you know, we have the same tractor.

I'm going to a barbecue this evening at a friend's house who has a very large field along the river in need of cutting. He wants to pay me but I told him to just pay for the fuel and take me up in his plane. He's a pilot for a very wealthy individual up here and also teaches others to fly. I'm looking forward to cutting a big, flat field.
As with anything, I tend to over think. YouTube doesn’t help that either. Any of the cutters I’m looking at, is better than the one I currently have now. Which is none.