ROPS adjustment

Bearcatrp

Equipment
BX1880
Mar 28, 2023
Minnesota
Does Kubota or anyone else make a little shorter ROPES, top part? I need 3 inches shorter to get in the garage without folding it down. Thought about finding a machine shop to cut it down but not sure I want to go this route. Or is this a bad idea? Thanks

mcfarmall

Equipment
Kubota M5660SUHD, Farmall C
Sep 11, 2013
Kalamazoo, MI
No, they don't. If you do any alterations to the ROPS, you will die a horrible death, never be able to sell the tractor, and be responsible for most of the world's problems. [Intense sarcasm]

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 7 users

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
Had same problem with my BX23S, so I made my own 'sunshade top' that clear garage door by 3/4 of an inch. Also removed seatbelt. That was4+ years ago, about 900+ hours of use. Should my widow want to sell the tractor, the original top ROP section is in the garage next to the 3PH I've yet to install.
While there are those that say 'never alter the ROPS', I've owned and used 20-25 tractors,none with ROPS and over the past 3 decades, never once got close to rolling one.
Only you actually know where and how you operate your tractor, so it's YOUR decision.

Reactions: 1 user

NorthwoodsLife

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B7100(sold), Kubota LX2610 Cab
Oct 15, 2021
Wisconsin
Does Kubota or anyone else make a little shorter ROPES, top part? I need 3 inches shorter to get in the garage without folding it down. Thought about finding a machine shop to cut it down but not sure I want to go this route. Or is this a bad idea? Thanks
It's a bad idea if you roll over on your tractor and die or get seriously injured. Because you or your family won't get squat.

It's a great idea if it all works for you in every way.

Back in the 70's and 1980's, my Kubota B7100 didn't have a roll bar, or "ROPS". Nobody got injured or died because we didn't side-slope it. Because stupid hurts. So we didn't do stupid things with it.

Someone sued and now we all have ROPS.

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 2 users

Bearcatrp

Equipment
BX1880
Mar 28, 2023
Minnesota
IF I cut it 3 inches, don't think it would alter the protection on a roll over. It would still be above my head. At least, it will be in the up position. I don't currently use mine since I can't get it in the garage without folding it down. Its kind of a PITA to put it up/down. Another thought was to angle the top part partially up by drilling the holes needed. Would be at the 2 o clock position and locked in place. Thanks for the replies.

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
L2501 TLB , Grappel, Brush Hog, Box Blade, Ballast box, Forks, Tiller, PH digger
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
My personal opinion is that you have about .000000001% chance of successfully suing Kubota if you get killed, even if you did not modify it; So the "Rebel" in me says, it's my machine, my money, my decision.....

A properly welded/modded ROPS is probably better than nothing, and I am very confident that I could pull off a 3" "trim job" and sleep very, very well at night.

I suppose there is the "they won't take it in for a trade in" argument, so there's that I guess.

Paul

Reactions: 4 users

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
kubrops.jpg

finally found one picture of what I did. vertical sections are 1.5x3x3/16, same as OEM,plates are 1/4".

JimmyJazz

Equipment
B2601
Aug 8, 2020
Pittsburgh, Pa
I have been using mine with it partially folded since the day I bought it. No big deal. I wouldn't potentially devalue the tractor altering it. You also risk being sued if the next owner gets hurt due to your alteration.

Last edited:

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
L2501 TLB , Grappel, Brush Hog, Box Blade, Ballast box, Forks, Tiller, PH digger
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
Had same problem with my BX23S, so I made my own 'sunshade top' that clear garage door by 3/4 of an inch. Also removed seatbelt. That was4+ years ago, about 900+ hours of use. Should my widow want to sell the tractor, the original top ROP section is in the garage next to the 3PH I've yet to install.
While there are those that say 'never alter the ROPS', I've owned and used 20-25 tractors,none with ROPS and over the past 3 decades, never once got close to rolling one.
Only you actually know where and how you operate your tractor, so it's YOUR decision.
Very nice solution Jay.

You kinda have the best of both worlds, by solving the "trade in" argument.

I would also like to point out a simple ROPS is not some sophisticated "20 point chromoly roll cage" (which I will point out that many, many people make themselves every year for their race cars, dune buggys, sand rails...etc......)

It's a U shaped piece of steel.

Just sayin

Paul

lynnmor

Equipment
B2601-1
May 3, 2021
Red Lion
What would it take to raise the garage door? When I got my Super Duty, it was a press fit on both sides and the top, so I was able to remove framework and replace the door panels. Many doors are not hung properly and hang down, so check that.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
Apr 2, 2019
Usually you need to remove the nearby siding and stuff, install temp support for wall, remove the header ( typically 3- 2x12, 12' long ),add solid blocking to studs the header sits on, 'reassemble' header and siding and stuff... Then you have to deal with the door, that's now 4" too short......

lynnmor

Equipment
B2601-1
May 3, 2021
Red Lion
Usually you need to remove the nearby siding and stuff, install temp support for wall, remove the header ( typically 3- 2x12, 12' long ),add solid blocking to studs the header sits on, 'reassemble' header and siding and stuff... Then you have to deal with the door, that's now 4" too short......
That is why I wrote it as a question, for me it was easy and there is a slight chance that it might be a simple job.

John D 2

Equipment
B2601 54inch MMM, carry all, boom pole, fertilizer spreader.
Jun 6, 2023
Texas
The first thing I did when I got my B2601 home was to fold the ROPS.

My property is flat, and the odds of needing my ROPS is about .00001%

If I ever move to a hilly area, I can raise it back up.

But for now, it's going to stay down.

ctfjr

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800HST
Dec 7, 2009
central ct
I 'almost' did this in our previous house. The garage door in the basement was too low and one day without thinking I managed to try driving in with the rops up.
So I needed a carpenter. When they pulled off the siding we discovered that the genius that built the deck above, 25 years before, didn't flash it to the house. The header was rotted.
My carpenter was all set to replace the header and I had talked to him about either using flitch plates or a steel beam so we could raise the opening a couple of inches.
Turned out only the outer 2X12 was rotted and they were able to easily replace it.

Last edited:

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I just built my garage with 9 foot doors, no ROPS or Truck issues here!

ve9aa

Equipment
TG1860, BX2380 -backblade, bx2830 snowblower, fel, weight box,pallet forks,etc
Apr 11, 2021
NB, Canada
Drilling your ROPES err ROPS also voids warranty, horrible death, black helicopters circle your house, Star Wars guys show up, responsible for all the worlds problems etc. (what the other guy said that made me shoot water out my nose)

You do what you like however. I ain't gonna stop ya ! I use my tractor a good 75% of the time with the ROPS folded down and almost never wear my seatbelt. Oh the humanity ! o_O

When I snowblow in the winter time, most of the time it's as dark as the inside of a cow outside, so I do put the ROPS up as it has most of my (useful) lighting affixed to it. (no holes)

A royal PITA to fold down. Can't seem to fit it into the garage no matter how many times I hit the header with them dang things. Maybe I'll invent pool-noodle ROPS to solve that problem.

• Haha