Rollers on FEL scoop

Southern Yankee

Equipment
L3301 HST, Front Loader. Land Pride Brush-Hog, Box Blade, and Quick Hitch
May 21, 2016
Wellston, Oklahoma
Granted we do not get much snow in Oklahoma but when we do it drifts. I was thinking of putting rollers (like heavy mower deck rollers) to keep the scoop from tearing up my 200' asphalt driveway or digging in on the dirt county road. With the rollers on the scoop should just float and leave about an inch of snow. I would probably have to roll the scoop back when in the barn to keep from crushing the rollers or bending the bolts but the rollers could easily be removed. Would it work?

Last edited:

bcp

Equipment
BX2360
Apr 20, 2011
SW WA
I haven't heard of rollers, but have heard of cutting a slit in a piece of pipe and putting it over your blade or bucket edge.

Bruce

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
Im usually not one to burst bubbles, but they will plug up and freeze. As mentioned the pipe would work. Or teflon slide bolted ro underside.
Pipe can be slipped off easily for scraping ice.

Perhaps a set of skids like a snow plow uses, wasy to find and near universal and adjustable.

OrangeLivin

Sep 9, 2015
Eastern
Wow those Edge Tamers are great, especially when combined with the Edge Extenders - it's like mini pallet forks! Something else I didn't know I needed for my tractor, and now I'm ordering a pair of each today! :D

Southern Yankee

Equipment
May 21, 2016
Wellston, Oklahoma
Check out the "Edge Tamers":

http://r2manufacturing.com/

They work VERY well, and are easy on/off.

Outstanding Kenny, you need to ask for a commission. I love this forum.
When I first read it, I thought it was the old "bucket of steam"/"muffler wrench" trick but they are for real.

I am moving RR ties so I'll go for the extensions too. GREAT!

Thanks everyone for the input. I liked the pipe - simple, cheap, no moving parts, no damage from too much down pressure. It would be just a matter of slicing a slit in a 2-3" pipe with a carbide saw. I take it would be a hammer on/hammer off wedge fit but I wondered if it would slip off when backing. I take 2 or 3 friction bolts would fix that. However, the extensions sold me and I am going for the "Edge Tamers"

Richard

Last edited:

Kennyd4110

Vendor Member
Sep 7, 2013
Westminster, MD
www.boltonhooks.com
Outstanding Kenny, you need to ask for a commission. I love this forum.
When I first read it, I thought it was the old "bucket of steam"/"muffler wrench" trick but they are for real.
No commission needed to promote a truly great product that I've used and really works. I've personally met Ryan and Rob (hence the "R2"), and they are great guys too- I even have a link to their site on my website.

Bcamos

Equipment
L3901
Nov 1, 2016
Texas
I no longer live in snow central, but leaving 1" of scraped and probably packed snow is a bad idea. It'll just turn into a thick ice.

100 td

Equipment
B21TLB (B21, TL421 & BT751) Toyota SDK4 T116 Bobcat
Aug 29, 2015
ɹǝpunuʍop
While the tamers are probably good in some ways,(can see them working on grass/ground/dirt reasonably well) I'd be careful with the extenders, if you need extenders to take some load then some bolt on forks may be a little safer?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/222162714776 or similar
While I don't have snow, I did spend a couple of years "way down south" and snow does turn into ice as noted previously, depending on conditions. Personally, a teflon or delron style bolt on edge would be my preference if you cant quite get the desired result with a steel edge. Not sure they are available off the shelf. My thoughts, each to their own.

Last edited:

cerlawson

Equipment
rotiller, box scraper,etc.
Feb 24, 2011
PORTAGE, WI
BEfore going too far with adaptions, consider a rear blade. However, especially on grass and maybe even on pavement, do the plowing with the blade reversed. You will be amazed how well it works going backwards.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I no longer live in snow central, but leaving 1" of scraped and probably packed snow is a bad idea. It'll just turn into a thick ice.
That's my thought, I have to take it down to frozen ground or I'd have 10 feet of packed snow and ice at the end of winter if i left 1" every time it snowed! :rolleyes: :eek: :p ;)

Southern Yankee

Equipment
May 21, 2016
Wellston, Oklahoma
Snow does not last for very long here in Oklahoma unless things are real bad with an overcast. If I can get close to the black asphalt the sun will usually melts off the snow. I do clear the ice from the concrete garage apron. The snow/ice on the apron melts during the day and turns to glare ice at night. Will the FEL scrape the ice off with the scoop edge straight down?

My wife laughs at me when it snows. She is real Southern (born Atlanta, raised Dallas) I was brought up outside Boston, if it snows; it has to be shoveled even if it will melt in a few days. When it snows heavy here, the snow drifts on the dirt county road (two miles to the highway). The county usually clears the road in a day or two but seldom to the dirt. Shaded areas bear caution because they do turn icy.

For all you Northerners, ice storms here can be real entertainment. They drive right up to a stop sign and expect to stop. When we lived it Fort Worth, the bridges would freeze over. People would hit the ice on the bridge and jam on their brakes. The car would hit the dry spot beyond and screech to a stop just as the semi behind them was on the bridge ice. Crazy. Since I am retired, I usually wait a few days unless we have to go somewhere.

Wolfman, you mentioned packed snow. When I was in Fairbanks, Alaska, the alert airplanes (B-47s) were parked on a foot of packed snow. If for some reason we burned a hole in the snow (accumulated jet fuel would catch fire during a hot engine start and burn a hole) or blew out a deep patch of snow with the engines; we would have to tow the airplanes clear so they could scrape the parking ramp down to the pavement. I do not miss snow, that's one of the reasons I live down here.

Last edited: