Roll Bar Noise

I HATE PONIES

Jul 5, 2011
Oh
Let's take a moment to talk about roll bar whine and engine noise.

I have a BX1860 that has a ton of noise being resonated through the roll bar. Has anyone drilled and filled the roll bar with spray foam?

I have tried foam spacers and isolaters with no luck.

I called the dealer today and they told me to run it at a higher RPM. I cannot comprehend how making a problem with rotational noise wil be made better by spinning it faster.

I have a BX1860 with 20 hours on it.

B7100

Equipment
B7100,B7100 with Backhoe and FEL, Goldoni Quad 20
Feb 11, 2010
Wales
I'm guessing he is working on the principle how a wheel on a vehicle can start to wobble at 55MPH and disappear a 60 or one can play a sound by rubbing the rim of a glass of water at a certain speed
It may help to slacken the frame bolts and then re tighten them.
Dave

Last edited:

Kytim

Equipment
B6000DT, B7100DT,Snowplow, RM360, Scoop, Cultivator, Carryall,Disk, plow
Aug 14, 2009
Western Ky
The dealer is suggesting that you change the resonate frequency (cycles per min) by running at a different engine speed. same principles as sending say, Internet DSL, cable TV and phone service down the same wiring. everything vibrates at a different rate. Oh, tuning forks are another example of this.

Give it a try, whats the worst that can happen?

Stubbyie

Jul 1, 2010
Midcontinent
If you have the fold-over ROPS try loosening the hinge bolts, lube them well with thread sealant so you can get them loose in the future, and place a small shim where the tip of the bolt touches the ROPS. Glop some RTV to hold the shim in place. Only reason for shim is to protect inner RPS where bolt impacts--otherwise can dent it getting it tight enought to quit rattling. Bolts work loose over time needing occasional retightning. Stopped my racket completely.

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
I would not reccomend drilling holes and filling with spray foam. That could void your tractor warranty and cause problems later down the road. Also the foam if not sprayed right or is to heavy will cause a higher center of gravity on the tractor and could cause you to flip over when you dont want to.

semi42

Jun 21, 2011
uk
yup...Never drill or weld anything on the rops. if anything needs to go onto the rops (beacons etc)then clamp it on.

OrangeRidge

Jul 10, 2010
Queensland Australia
That's alot of transmission noise at stationary . Go to the Dealer
and ask to try another BX##60 for comparison. At 3000rpm and hot
or cold , mine is much quieter when just sitting there ............
Your driveline-creep can be rectified by lithium grease ( NOT moly. )
pumped through the HST rocker grease nipple for the foot pedal.

cmorningstar01

Equipment
B7500HST LA302 FEL 5'Finish Mower B5100E 46" Snow Plow 22 ton splitter
Mar 27, 2011
Pemberton NJ USA
This is going to sound silly but try lowering the air pressure in your rear tires.

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
Boss I'd hate to be the one to tell ya but it sounds like there's a hydraulic pump fucked up somewhere on the tractor. That tractor is making a helluva racket at idel. If your roll bar is loose does it vibrate? Have you felt the roll bar to make sure its not loose. Or try pushing against the roll bar with your hand and use alot of pressure like your trying to move the tractor and see if it quiets down.

I HATE PONIES

Jul 5, 2011
Oh
Boss I'd hate to be the one to tell ya but it sounds like there's a hydraulic pump fucked up somewhere on the tractor. That tractor is making a helluva racket at idel. If your roll bar is loose does it vibrate? Have you felt the roll bar to make sure its not loose. Or try pushing against the roll bar with your hand and use alot of pressure like your trying to move the tractor and see if it quiets down.
The rollbar is not loose. I took it off and then noise is better but still there. I have been told that the noise is normal until the break in time or a couple of hundred hours go by. I was just going to tough it out but it is driving me KNUTZ!

If you made it through the whole video you were likely hoping the bad noise would stop. Imagine mowing for a hour with the bad noise surrounding your head.:eek:

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
Sounds like theres going to be ear plugs in your near future, keep us updated. I'd like to know if the tractor gets all the kinks worked out and if it quiets down some.

Kytim

Equipment
B6000DT, B7100DT,Snowplow, RM360, Scoop, Cultivator, Carryall,Disk, plow
Aug 14, 2009
Western Ky
You're being told rubbish . Mine's reasonably quiet at 75hrs ( 1 year )
as it was from new. Go listen to another one for comparison !
+1.

Yeah that doesn't sound right. I personally would deliver it to the dealer myself so I could kinda circumvent the sales desk. I'd start it, drive it off the trailer and right up to the service guys. get off leave it running and see how long they could stand it. that sound on video is just nuts!

I'm sure they would have a different opinion then too. Its easy to pass off an unheard noise on a machine as "whatever". It would be harder for someone to "blow smoke" as they say when they see/hear in person.

This may not be the correct way to deal with the problem, but I'm kinda direct type of guy.

I'm sort of like one of the other posters, I think your Hyd. pump may be outta spec somehow.

Keep us informed, we learn from these things as well!!

HickoryNut

Equipment
BX25DLB/PForks,Front Blade,3PH,and 3Pt STUFF, BXPanded UA, Piranha, BH Dolly,Rip
Apr 15, 2011
NE Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by I HATE PONIES
...I have been told that the noise is normal until the break in time or a couple of hundred hours go by. ......

That would drive me absolutely off the end...... On another note I really enjoyed the Rover videos..:D:D:D I have a 91 Great Divide....;)

One would think if that were normal, you would still see several other complaints considering that is a popular Bota? Good Luck "I HATE PONIES"

I HATE PONIES

Jul 5, 2011
Oh
I wonder if the local dealer will do house calls?:confused:

On a side note these smilies kinda suck.

:eek:<------ This guy is kinda cool but the others look like tennis balls.:D

I HATE PONIES

Jul 5, 2011
Oh
Taken any action on this problem ?

None yet. I will call the local service department tomorrow. I'd like to have them come out and see/hear the problem before I haul it over to the shop.

The 3000 RPM idea didn't work. It seems to be better when the tractor is cold and it gets worse as it warms up.