Replacing the centre driveshaft on an RTV 900

VincentFandango

Equipment
RTV 900
Feb 25, 2021
UK
Hello all, new member here with a new to me 2008 RTV 900. I've had a read around here and it looks like there's plenty of helpful people here who know what they're talking about. The UTV needs a bit of TLC - as well as performing a full service I am replacing the rear axle bearings and UJs as they are completely trashed. Plenty of info and guides out there for that.

My other job is to replace the centre drive shaft as the CV/UJs here are also trashed. This has the (I think newer style) 1 piece drive shaft.

So I'm wondering if anyone here can offer any wisdom on how to achieve this? I've scoured the internet for advice on how to do this with no luck, the WSM doesn't appear to cover this procedure, and the WSM for the 1100 model describes the procedure for removing the similar but different drive shaft on that model as pulling the CV assembly backwards and off the input/output shaft splines. As most jobs are rarely simple.....it can't be that simple can it?

It has occurred to me that it could be so easy that no one else needs to ask, or it's something not attempted by a home gamer such as myself. Given that Kubota have already relieved me of a painful sum in replacement parts I want to save some money and do it myself if at all possible!

Any advice is gratefully received!

VincentFandango

Equipment
RTV 900
Feb 25, 2021
UK
Good to hear - although I've had a look at both ends with a view to removing the driveshaft and both splines are pretty corroded.
After a liberal dosing of penetrating oil I had a quick go at using a big screwdriver/prybar to try and pry the driveshaft off the splines but they did not want to budge. I am hesitant to try too hard in case I crack the diff housings (as they are the only thing to lever against). There is also little room for a wooden block etc to help spread the load.

Can I give it some without fear of damaging the housing or is there a way of getting a stubborn driveshaft off the spline?

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
never had one that wouldn't slide off somewhat easily but I never saw some of the stuff that is 'out there'. Spray it down with WD40 or whatever, let it sit and soak in. If it won't slide off in a day or two, might try a beater (hammer) and a soft punch, or maybe some heat?

VincentFandango

Equipment
RTV 900
Feb 25, 2021
UK
Thanks for pointing me in the right direction - after a bit of persuasion with a hammer and a brass punch at an angle I eventually worked it off.

It looks as if the O rings on the input and output shafts have perished so water has gotten in and rust welded the parts together. Thankfully the splines on the shafts look in good condition so only the driveshaft needs to be changed.