Replacing hydralic line on loader: how to remove

tbronson

Equipment
B1700 HSD w/ LA302 FEL, B48CA rototiller
Jul 1, 2016
Ontario
Have a LA301 loader on a B1700. Need to replace two of the hydraulic hoses, which are attached at one end to the metal lines that lead from the joystick controller, down one arm, and across the crossbrace above the bucket.

Applying even medium wrench pressure to the hose fitting starts to bend the metal line, especially for the hose at the terminating end of the line.

How do I get the hoses off without breaking the lines?

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
Have a LA301 loader on a B1700. Need to replace two of the hydraulic hoses, which are attached at one end to the metal lines that lead from the joystick controller, down one arm, and across the crossbrace above the bucket.

Applying even medium wrench pressure to the hose fitting starts to bend the metal line, especially for the hose at the terminating end of the line.

How do I get the hoses off without breaking the lines?
Almost any hydraulic disconnection using wrenches requires that two wrenches be used.

Post a photo.

Dave

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Looks like you need to have a wrench hold the square end of the tubing when you torque the hex on the hose.

tbronson

Equipment
Jul 1, 2016
Ontario
I think I figured it out with the 2-wrench clue. Used both wrenches on the hose fitting, one to turn, the other above to stabilize. Is that the usual way?

Hoses swapped. Should I try o straighten the small bend I made in the end of the metal line (hard to see in the photo), or just leave it?

fruitcakesa

Equipment
M 6040
Oct 26, 2010
Cavendish Vermont
I think I figured it out with the 2-wrench clue. Used both wrenches on the hose fitting, one to turn, the other above to stabilize. Is that the usual way?

Hoses swapped. Should I try o straighten the small bend I made in the end of the metal line (hard to see in the photo), or just leave it?

If it appears unkinked, I would leave it till it really needs replacing.
Remember Murphy...

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada

Glad the two wrench clue helped.

Metals, when bent, undergo a metallurgical process called "work hardening."

Bend a metal clothes hanger and then try and straighten it.
You will never get it to bend back straight at the same place as now that portion of the hanger is much stronger than the portions on either side of the bend.

Same is true for your tube. All you will do is to make two more bends on either side of the first one.

Leave it alone as a teaching reminder.

Dave

tbronson

Equipment
Jul 1, 2016
Ontario
Awesome advice! Two new hoses installed in 15 minutes total - without this advice, I might have disassembled...everything.

Living slightly bent line as is, yet another learning reminder.

Cheers!