North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
It's an easy job on that model!;)
Jack up the front end to send all the fluid to the back if the transmission, then unscrew the sight glass and install the new one.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
They are plastic, they do get brittle in time.
To remove a pair of pliers, Install hand tight.

Last edited:

fuzzydawg

Equipment
L3400 HST
Oct 11, 2011
Bluffton, MO
Had to replace the one on my L3400 last year. Wolfman is right, they get brittle. The threaded plastic around the sight glass had cracked, and actually fell into pieces as I was taking it out. New one seems to be made out of tougher material, felt more solid. Be really careful as you are removing the old one that pieces don't fall into the tranny.

mfrick

Equipment
l2800
Oct 8, 2013
marble falls tx
Had to replace the one on my L3400 last year. Wolfman is right, they get brittle. The threaded plastic around the sight glass had cracked, and actually fell into pieces as I was taking it out. New one seems to be made out of tougher material, felt more solid. Be really careful as you are removing the old one that pieces don't fall into the tranny.
Thanks for the advice guys. Once I learn there was a pin to keep the clutch engaged, I was able to remove the old viewport by hand. Didn't see anything wrong with it but replaced it anyway. I used the front end loader to lift the front end and had no leaking at all while I was changing the part. Letting it sit right now to see if the problem is corrected. You guys are most helpful and I appreciate your advice.

nacl9163

Equipment
L3400 FEL bush hog auger
Oct 28, 2014
Esmont VA
My L3400 viewport cracked in such a way that a ring of the threaded part actually remained screwed into the opening. Couldn't get the new viewport in until I realized what the problem was. My wife's smaller hand fit to access the viewport; my hand wouldn't fit. At more than $20 at the dealer for a new and hopefully improved viewport, I felt ripped off. Why on such a good tractor would Kubota skimp on the viewport? Even though many people seem to have had the cracking problem, they denied any responsibility and I was stuck paying. The engineer who designed and placed the viewport should spend a lifetime in hell trying to read the fluid level and replacing the viewport.;)

Crystal Lake

Equipment
MX5100HST
Sep 22, 2014
Jonesboro, AR
It is so poorly designed! Mine may show full one time and nothing the next, parked in the same spot. Drives me crazy, as I have overfilled it now. dealer says to forget the site glass and look down the fill tube. Will it hurt to run over full?