replacement cylinders for 1630 loader

regularjay

Equipment
B7200E
Jun 21, 2009
Harford County, MD USA
After checking with my local dealer and finding that the rebuild kits for the lift cylinders on my 1630 loader will cost $86.00 each. I just cannot stomach the idfea of paying that much for a handful of sealsd & O rings. I think I might go a different way. Has anyone ever replaced their cylinders? I've done a bit of searching and havent found anything in the appropriate diameter and stroke. If you replaced yours where did you find them?

Thanks,

Jay

Blkvoodoo

Equipment
B2400, LA352, RC60, Cammond Box Blade
Mar 27, 2010
Zebulon NC
After checking with my local dealer and finding that the rebuild kits for the lift cylinders on my 1630 loader will cost $86.00 each. I just cannot stomach the idfea of paying that much for a handful of sealsd & O rings. I think I might go a different way. Has anyone ever replaced their cylinders? I've done a bit of searching and havent found anything in the appropriate diameter and stroke. If you replaced yours where did you find them?

Thanks,

Jay
$86 is cheap, get them, do the work yourself ( easy ) keep it clean, and lube everything as you are assembling.

i routinely repack cyls on forklifts , the kits cost 3 times that most times.

the seals are specialized material, and in some cases specialized for the application. a hydraulic repair shop may be able to come up with what you need, or, they may well order the same kit you are trying to avoid, then mark it up. I prefer OEM kits over aftermarket any time, I've had too many issues with ill fitting seals ( just because they fit tight, doesn't mean they seal )

I guess I don't understand the logic of replacing the cyls, because the packing is more expensive than you like. if it where a rod or barrel,
I'd see that.....

Last edited:

traildust

Equipment
B7610HST 4WD, LA352 FEL, Gearmore 2 Spool Top & Tilt Box Scraper
Jan 27, 2010
Phelan, California
Kevin is right. The seals are special and therefore cost more than typical O-rings at harbor freight.

When i rebuilt the steering gearbox on my Toyota pick up the rebuild kit was something like $120. When the kit arrived it was a baggy with a few O-rings and metal seals. That's just the way it is.

regularjay

Equipment
B7200E
Jun 21, 2009
Harford County, MD USA
I couldn't care less if my loader has Kubota cylinders or not.

For about the same money I believe I can probably buy brand new cylinders. This gets me new everything not just seals, likely a warranty that I wont get if I rebuild what I have plus I don't have to learn how to rebuild them myself.

Also, if I screw up the rebuild process I'm out another $86 bucks. Sure I could have a shop rebuild them but that would likely more than double the cost not counting downtime on the machine. If I can find a source for appropriate replacements I can swap them out in less than an hour and likely sell my original cylinders to someone here and recoup a signifigant portion of my investment.

Replacement with "off brand" components seems like the easiest and cheapest way out to me.

Jay

misterb

Equipment
L 35 TLB
Mar 22, 2010
Powassan, Ontario
I am new here with limited knowlege, but for what it is worth, here is a recent personal experience of mine.
I bought a well used L35 that I knew had leaking cylinders on the 4 in 1 bucket (2 1/2" ID). I took them off and dissasembled one with an idea of rebuilding it myself. I went out looking for parts and happened on a shop that had a great stock of packing and seals. The guy went over the cylinder with a caliper and found all but one of the seals in stock, and stated he could have that by noon the next day. As an afterthought I asked him what it would cost to get the 2 cyl repaired for the next day.
Bottom line is, that I was heading home by 1500 the next day with both cyl repaired as well as a set of extra o rings for the hyd controller. Cost $70.00 each! YMMV but hope this helps.
Best regards to all my gentle colleagues in orange.
db

Theekillerbee

Jun 28, 2009
Pleasant View UT, USA
Not sure where your cylinder source is, but if you are getting them for under 100 bucks, please let us know! I'd bet cheap Chinese stuff is probably at least 200, that is if you can find the right bore and stroke. I've not had problems with local made replacement parts, but you can't go wrong with the OEM kits. That price seems a little high, so I'd call around to a couple of hydraulic shops to see if they can get it cheaper, but still at 86 bones I'm certain you aren't going to find cylinders for anything near that.

If you do go the replacement route keep your work area clean, and let us know how it goes.

avi8tor

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2800DT, BX2380, RTV X900
Mar 14, 2010
Cleveland, Alabama
Not sure where your cylinder source is, but if you are getting them for under 100 bucks, please let us know! I'd bet cheap Chinese stuff is probably at least 200, that is if you can find the right bore and stroke. I've not had problems with local made replacement parts, but you can't go wrong with the OEM kits. That price seems a little high, so I'd call around to a couple of hydraulic shops to see if they can get it cheaper, but still at 86 bones I'm certain you aren't going to find cylinders for anything near that.

If you do go the replacement route keep your work area clean, and let us know how it goes.
I'm with Theekillerbee on this. I work with hydraulics almost every day. I've used aftermarket seals only when oem wasn't readily available. I don't think that you can replace the cylinders for $86 each. If you do, you will need to consider bore, stroke, pressure ratings, mounting differences, and piston rod size. Also both cylinders need to be a matched set. It's much better to repair/rebuild with oem seals. Just my 2 cents worth. Good luck with your decision.