Replace 1 front Tire

howald

Equipment
B7001
Apr 2, 2009
Fruitvale, BC, Canada
I have a b7001 with one front tire that is in pretty rough shape but the other is in good shape.

Is it ok to just replace 1 front tire or should I replace both so the wear on them is the same?

Since I won't be able to find the original bridgestones that are on it today, I'll be replacing it with a different brand of the same size.

300zx

Equipment
1979 B7100D, 2009 ZG20, 1991 B2150, 1990 B6200
Dec 1, 2010
Forest, VA
Howald, this is a personal choice since I can't think of any mechanical problem with just changing one. I think before I bought a new one, I would try to find another used one at a place that changes tractor tires. It would get you to the point where you would be ready to buy new ones. Vic may even have a used one.

cmorningstar01

Equipment
B7500HST LA302 FEL 5'Finish Mower B5100E 46" Snow Plow 22 ton splitter
Mar 27, 2011
Pemberton NJ USA
Howald, this is a personal choice since I can't think of any mechanical problem with just changing one.
I am with 300zx on this one, Replacing just one tire on a tractor is no different than replacing just one tire on a car, The important thing is that if the tractor is a DT(4x4) that the tire is the same size(height) as the one you are replacing(matches height of one not replaced also). Tread pattern should be the same type or as close as possible, So if you are replacing one turf tire you should replace with a turf and the same goes with any of the more aggressive tread tires.

Now having said that, If it were me and if I could afford to replace both tires and then have a pair of new tires on the front then that is what I would do. I feel that if one needing replacing then the other can not be too far behind, That is assuming both front tires were the same age.

I would also want to know why one tire was in such a condition that it needed to be replaced and the other side did not, Was this because of physical damage to the tire or is it due to wear, If it is due to wear then why did one tire wear/deteriorate so much more than the other.

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
If it's a 2wd, then it's just an asthetic issue. If you have a 4wd, then you should make every effort to have two of the same tires on the front. If you can't afford it, then do it as soon as possible- while the drivetrain is well built and strong, you will subject it to extra stress with two different tires. Differences in radius, differences in compound (one may flex/distort more than the other), differences in traction, all will translate to the front differential. It probably won't break it, but it will subject it to extra wear.
As far as why one tire is currently worn more than the other, who knows? Possibly a mechanical issue, but more likely the previous owner had damage and replaced one tire, or something like that.

howald

Equipment
B7001
Apr 2, 2009
Fruitvale, BC, Canada
Thanks everyone. The 7001 I have is a 4x4 and I was thinking the same thing as hodge.

The tire that needs replacing has lots of side wall damage.
I think I'll buy 2 tires if I can get them. I guess I'll have a spare should I ever need it.

Jimb21

Equipment
B21
Apr 2, 2011
Paoli, Pa
I just replaced 1 front tire on my B21. I may be replacing one of the rears. I bought the machine used, it had a tube in it (rear) and the tube went. I replaced the valve stem and stuck about 6 tire plugs. The tire has held air about 3 weeks now.

WinnieCouple

Equipment
L245DT, razor brush hog, small disc, double bottom plow, 5' Turfline Box Blade.
Aug 1, 2011
Hico, Texas
Just replace the one.... its a work horse, its not supposed to be "pretty".
If it was mine, and and I replaced the second one for "looks", I'd get a sidewall ripped out first thing.
just sayin